Thread: Tire removal

RC Competitor

Tire removal

Just looking for some tips to getting my stock tires unglued from the rims, ive boiled them for 45 mins each side and while alot of the glue broke down the inner part of the bead is still really secured.

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    That issue is the one that stumps all rc enthusiasts in fact I called traxxas and they did't have a suggestion. I would say boiling them is the best choice. Maybe try acetone
    116 unashamed

RC Racer
    Wrap it in aluminum foil and put in oven on baking tray for 15 minutes on 350F open up outside unless you want your house to smell like rubber they should peel off easy saves tires and wheels nothing will melt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Ok so after attempting all of these ways on seperate rims and tires all blown not a sing one came off cleanly 8( and took a combo of both acetone and one of the other methods to get the rims usable again.... however i will say baking them in aluminum did better than boiling and maybe if id have given it a little while longer they would have come off easier but i had lost track of time and just went with it. I could hear the glue crack away easily at first but the very very inner was still stuck

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Xzinten;6498007]Ok so after attempting all of these ways on seperate rims and tires all blown not a sing one came off cleanly 8( and took a combo of both acetone and one of the other methods to get the rims usable again.... however i will say baking them in aluminum did better than boiling and maybe if id have given it a little while longer they would have come off easier but i had lost track of time and just went with it. I could hear the glue crack away easily at first but the very very inner was still stuck

Xzinten

These wheels (rims) are a new design. Unlike older wheels were the bead just layer on top of the rim, the new style has a channel we’re the Tire rubber bead gets inserted into. It makes it impossible to just push back on the bead and separate it from the rim. The piece of the rubber in the bead would have to be dremled out. And then you are risking ruining the channel. It isn’t worth the time or the energy to try to reuse these rims. What really sucks is that Pro-Line is also going to this design. I just bought the rims and wheels separate and duct tape the side walls and tire to keep them from ballooning....So far so good! Good luck... let us all know if you are successful.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post

These wheels (rims) are a new design. Unlike older wheels were the bead just layer on top of the rim, the new style has a channel were the Tire rubber bead gets inserted into. It makes it impossible to just push back on the bead and separate it from the rim. The piece of the rubber in the bead would have to be dremled out. And then you are risking ruining the channel. It isnt worth the time or the energy to try to reuse these rims. What really sucks is that Pro-Line is also going to this design. I just bought the rims and wheels separate and duct tape the side walls and tire to keep them from ballooning....So far so good! Good luck... let us all know if you are successful.
    Okay so with acetone and baking I was able to get the new design beads to come out without too much of an issue after baking and then using a little bit of acetone I used a flat head screwdriver and just worked around the edges of the beads a tiny flat head of course didn't have issues with that inset on the rim breaking or anyting reusing the rims wasn't an issue however there's no way I could see it being possible to take the tires off without destroying them the tires will never be reusable
    I have done this with 3 rims and tires now all stock rims and tires Talon EXT s and so far so good I have no issues instead of tape I used 65 lb braided fishing line and banded to them stop the ballooning so far so good