Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evil-R build...

RC Racer

Evil-R build...

Ok i’m new here but used to do this with my cars etc and have always like reading peoples builds so thought I’d do one for my new E Revo now nicknamed Evil-R...

I’m UK based and picked the E Revo up last week from ModelSport UK, need to hand it to these guys they are an awesome outfit and now my go to place for Traxxas parts, highly recommend them to any UK members.

Original plan was to just run it out of the box, well I found this forum, did some reading and this happened!

Welcome any advice and pointers on the way, I’ve actually asked quite a few Q’s on forum just to get an idea on where to start from but obviously as the build/testing goes these may or may not be changed.

Current situation is it’s all stripped down, front and rear diffs are waiting to be rebuilt with alu cases and Boca yellows (due in this week)

Boca yellows are being used throughout this build, just realised the alu wheelie bar wheels have Traxxas blue bearings which for continuity will have to replace with yellows in the near future

Tony’s Screws are also being used where I can throughout the build.

So if all goes to plan the build will start progressing this week, so in the mean time to keep myself busy I painstakingly started to paint the tyre letters, used a Tire Penz pen but had to apply with a cocktail stick due to size, first coat is on I’ll take some process pics when I do the second coat
    Last edited by SC11; 05-12-2019 at 01:47 AM.

RC Racer
    Slow progress as U.K. customs is holding me to ransom haha, hurry up and send me the bill already so you can release my goodies!

RC Qualifier
    Also a regular Modelsport user here
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC Racer
    Not the best start!

Firstly the majority of the stuff is in however Parcel Force have lost my second package from Boca which contains all the bearings for the drive shaft and diff typical as this was the obvious starting point, so not to let it hamper me too much I thought Iíd strip and rebuild my diffs and just leave them cracked open ready for the bearings.

Camera at the ready to take pics I thought Iíd do one to get a feel of if and then take pictures as I do the second, well pictures never happened and it took me a good 3-4 hours to do the diffs!!!!

I must of made the diff up about 4-5 times and just couldnít get the ring gear to sit or the screws to seat properly, first thought Iíd over done the oil, then made sure the metal glide block were in correct (alu housing has a pointed end)

Finally realised the alu diff housing was the issue and were the four locating tabs on the ring gear go into the housing and hold the blocks in place it was fouling against the housing.

Itís now 1am here and itís all finally sealed and topped up with 100k Iíll get pics when I put the Bocas in and assembly the bulkheads.
    Last edited by SC11; 05-23-2019 at 07:11 PM.

RC Racer
    Not having much luck!

The alu diff housing I was struggling with leaked and on inspection you can clearly see how there has been a issue with it not seating correctly!

So I ordered another alu diff housing..

And guess what itís the same! There must be a issue with the crown gear off the rear diff as all seat fine against the crown gear off the front!!!

So Iím in limbo at the moment, have sent the pics over to the shop who will speak to the Traxxas UK distro.

Shame as itís put my build on hold

This is the same alu diff housing firstly fitted to the crown gear out of my stock front diff

Now this is the same alu housing when trying to fit on the crown gear from my rear diff

Here circled you can see how the tabs off the crown gear foul against the case

RC Racer
    Right well Iím still waiting on Traxxas to send me some bits to get the rebuild back on track, however in the mean time Iíve dyed the chassis, arms and boots black.

Oh and the antenna tube!

RC Qualifier
    So much better than grey!

RC Racer
    Not the best lighting but it is late here!

Getting there.

No more blue..

Not anywhere

Well maybe a little bit which will never see the light of day...

RC Racer
    Trying out my new stand

RC Qualifier
    Looking good. Like seeing the progression.

I never found a stand that worked with the Revo with tires on.. so I made my own. Top will rotate around. Took me about 5 to 10 mins to build. Cost free, with scraps on hand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Looks like your also have a nice dark beverage to assist you. Whatcha drinking? I got hippy hippy haze double IPA by wild ride in my kegerator for this months beverage.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Looks like your also have a nice dark beverage to assist you. Whatcha drinking? I got hippy hippy haze double IPA by wild ride in my kegerator for this months beverage.

Alcohol free but plenty of caffeine! Triple espresso

RC Racer
    Braided the 2nd set of tyres, I have these (Shockwaves) and Terrain crushers to alternate between.

RC Racer
    Also started to give the Shockwaveís a little bit of red!

RC Racer
    More goodies arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    More goodies arrived!
    Nice to see those motors and ESCs do still exist

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Nice to see those motors and ESCs do still exist

Brand spanking new and delivered today!

Full restock I believe is quoted as being within the next two weeks, still no B-Link though Iíve got to wait for that.

Fans and shroud are on route.

RC Racer
    Told you this wasnít going to be your typical E Revo build!

RC Champion
    Dang!!! Looking amazing. What ripple pack you using? Also what motor mount is that? Very excited to watch the rest of this build. Did you get your diff issues figured out? What was the cause of the aluminum housing not seating?
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Dang!!! Looking amazing. What ripple pack you using? Also what motor mount is that? Very excited to watch the rest of this build. Did you get your diff issues figured out? What was the cause of the aluminum housing not seating?
    RippleKiller 6S pack, motor mount is HR the red heat sinks look a little OTT but Iím general I like it.

Still waiting on a second fan and shroud so I have two 30mm fans firing onto the motor.

Nope diff still in pieces, Logic the U.K disto did confirm it must a casting issue as it seems all the crown gears they have in stock are the same. Last contact I had was in Tuesday/Wednesday and they had filed down the four tabs on the crown gear to make it fit and was going to send me that! Not really happy with that as a resolution if Iím honest for two reasons,

1) filing down the tabs will most likely result is unevenness on the flat crown gear surface which forms the seal against the diff carrier.
    2) on a brand new E Revo should I be ok with in essence a dodge job being done on the crown gear to make it for?

Maybe Iím making too much of it but it just doesnít really sit well as a resolution, canít someone at the distro or Traxxas just sit down with a handful of crown gears and diff housing and just offer them up to each other and send me a pair that seats perfectly?!?! Or am I asking too much?

Luckily Iím waiting on some Boca orange for the 1515 and the uprated GTR shocks so itís not really holding anything back right now but will be very soon!

Need to fit the single steering arm and wire/fit the ESC so I have stuff to carry on with.

And thank you for the great comment

RC Racer
    Managed to get one diff up and running!

Still waiting on toe links and yeah aware the last pic the tyres on backwards haha

Really like the black and red contrast

RC Racer
    Nice build.. You'll love that esc motor combo especially if you run it sensored. I recently picked up the b-link and it looks like they will be adding the ability to read the data logging capability to the app.

Did you decide what you're doing for batteries yet? Looking good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Did you decide what you're doing for batteries yet? Looking good.

I got a deal on 4x Traxxas 3S 5000mAh so will run them for now

And thanks builds coming along well just a shame about Traxxasís QC and these crown gear/diff carriers, itís been 3 weeks today since I highlighted the issue and the new (well say new the parts they filed down arrived Friday) only to find the second diff I wrongly thought had seated correctly hasnít
    Last edited by SC11; 06-15-2019 at 06:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wansfall View Post
    Nice build.. You'll love that esc motor combo especially if you run it sensored. I recently picked up the b-link and it looks like they will be adding the ability to read the data logging capability to the app.
    My B-Link is somewhere between New Jersey and my house haha

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Right well I’m still waiting on Traxxas to send me some bits to get the rebuild back on track, however in the mean time I’ve dyed the chassis, arms and boots black.

Oh and the antenna tube!

What you use to dye this stuff black? Old school trick of hot water and Black RIT dye? For sure like it!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    What you use to dye this stuff black? Old school trick of hot water and Black RIT dye? For sure like it!
    Black Rit dye!

But aware quite a few have had issues dying the blue boots so used two lots of liquid dye (chassis, rocker arms and boots) heated up and kept hot with the items in for 2 hours and then left then in the dye for another 6-8 hours as itís cooled down.

Result is solid black and the best result Iíve seen so far online

RC Racer
    Like so

RC Racer
    Been asked for a build list so here it is off the top of my head

Traxxas 2255 servo
    Traxxas Servo saver
    Traxxas GTR hard anodised Teflon coated shocks
    Traxxas alu chassis brace (deanodised)
    Traxxas alu toe links
    Traxxas alu push rods
    Traxxas wheelie bar
    Traxxas alu wheelie bar wheels
    Traxxas alu hollow balls
    Traxxas alu pivot balls
    Traxxas alu diff housing
    Traxxas red alu Bulk heads
    Traxxas red alu hubs and nuts
    Traxxas metal central shafts
    STRC red alu single steering arm
    RPM Body savers
    Dust cover
    Tony Screws
    T bone chassis & arm guards
    Boca bearings yellow & orange throughout (yes even in the wheelie bar wheels)
    Castle 2200kv and MX ESC
    Castle B link
    RPM ESC mount
    R1 fans
    R1 fan shrouds
    HR motor mount
    HR Limiting straps
    HR spacers for limiting straps
    GPM rear shock mount
    Ripple killer 6S cap pack
    Proline shockwaves
    Sweep terrain crushers
    Ssssssh a certain A branded wing

RC Racer
    Finally last diff pieces came in from Logic and I was able to get it back together and start progressing with the build.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good bro!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Looking good bro!
    Thanks buddy, itís crying out for the custom body though.

Boca orange for the 1515 will be here mid week and then itís just a case of wiring it all up

RC Champion
    How does that RPM esc cage/mount work with the Castle ESC mounting to the E Revo 2.0 chassis? Any mods required or was it direct bolt in?
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    How does that RPM esc cage/mount work with the Castle ESC mounting to the E Revo 2.0 chassis? Any mods required or was it direct bolt in?
    Direct fit but as I’m using a new chassis which came without the mounting pad I do need to put some 4-5mm closed cell foam underneath as currently it’s floating.

RC Racer
    Need your input!

Ok T-Bone seem to have a good fan base but the fit on the E Revo kit is poor!
    Most had started to pull out of shape and required heating and trying to align the issue is once you do this itís starts to curve rather then neat fold and as you heat to adjust one fold the other start to straight out....

The chassis skid will stay but the bumper and arm guard are coming back off! What a waste or $65 plus customs

Anyway Iím now thinking HR, ok they are alloy and will wear but so be it I can always replace every so often.

Or do I stay stock and just replace as needed?!

So stick with T-Bone, get the HR or put the OEM back on?

T-Bone

HR

RC Racer
    Oh and in the mean time started to colour up my Shockwaves, shame ProLine got the tyre glue everywhere and I mean everywhere....

RC Champion
    Dang that stinks. I had heard a lot of good about the T Bone racing stuff. Maybe reach out to them see if they can give you a hand on it. On mine I am running the OEM skids as they are cheap and a part guaranteed to be replaced...even street racing we go through these with contact on the asphalt. $8 bucks to replace the entire set front to back. I do also really like the look of the HR set though. Just for my pocket book...I personally stick w stock.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    I know!

The thing is the R&D is there but the simple task of heating and moulding to the correct angle hasnít been done right!

However this has caused a huge issue as itís hard to back track and increase the angles on said fold points as for the reason mentioned above

Take this one, offered up to the arms

And this is how it looks from T-Bone folds are precise but not adequate as they havenít been angled enough.

But the material is super hard to bend, applied heat and then tried to increase the angles in most causes as soon as heat was applied they tried to flatten out making my job harder.
    But then as precise as I could be as you heated and flexed it just started to round out

RC Champion
    Oh dang! You are correct, those are not bent enough. I went to their site and they are bent much more aggressively along the same lines. That is crazy. Hit them up Monday for sure!
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Racer
    Great!!!

So when did Castle start glueing in the motor bearing...

Shaft end I could apply pressure but the other ends going to be problematic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast