RC Racer

What Center Drive Shaft Are You Using?

I was just curious what Center drive shaft everyone is using these days. I have a couple is Slashes that are set up differently but was needing the help from the experts. In one of my slashes I have the stock Traxxas drive shaft. In another I have the Tekno Big Bone Center drive shaft.

Hereís my dilemma, with the stock Traxxas drive shaft, Iím running a MM2 with a Castle 2200kv geared at 20/54 on 4s. No issues at all with any wobble of the drive shaft.

Same motor and esc in the other with 25/50 gearing on 6s. When I go to give it full throttle, I can see the Tekno drive shaft wobble from side to side. So much that itís worn down part of the ESC mount.

Anyone having this issue or could recommend a set up that would prevent this from happening?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TLXtreme View Post
    I was just curious what Center drive shaft everyone is using these days. I have a couple is Slashes that are set up differently but was needing the help from the experts. In one of my slashes I have the stock Traxxas drive shaft. In another I have the Tekno Big Bone Center drive shaft.

Hereís my dilemma, with the stock Traxxas drive shaft, Iím running a MM2 with a Castle 2200kv geared at 20/54 on 4s. No issues at all with any wobble of the drive shaft.

Same motor and esc in the other with 25/50 gearing on 6s. When I go to give it full throttle, I can see the Tekno drive shaft wobble from side to side. So much that itís worn down part of the ESC mount.

Anyone having this issue or could recommend a set up that would prevent this from happening?
    When I had my old slash 4x4 with a 2650kv motor I used the stock center drive shaft for a solid two months before it stripped out. And that was only on 3s so I'm surprised yours is holding up on 4s. As for the wobble I'm not sure if that is gonna have any sort of negative impact on preformance. I wouldn't expect it to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have only ever used the stock style driveshaft. STRC makes one that is identical to the stock piece. Between the two of them it is all I have ever used since January 2010.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    And you never had the stock one strip out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    And you never had the stock one strip out?

Not since I have running the LCG chassis. I had a couple go out in the HCG chassis. I'm not sure what the difference is.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Not since I have running the LCG chassis. I had a couple go out in the HCG chassis. I'm not sure what the difference is.
    You know, now that I think of it....

The one that I had go out was on the hcg chassis. Once I went to the lcg I never broke one. Interesting

I have run 6s with the new El Sob special motor system with the stock driveshaft and had no problems with it on the LCG chassis. The LCG chassis had seen less problems for me.

RC Racer
    Speaking of the El Sob special.. What exactly is it? I've seen you speak of it for at least a year now of me stalking these forums haha.

RC Racer
    You know, now that I think of it....

The one that I had go out was on the hcg chassis. Once I went to the lcg I never broke one. Interesting

My best guess is the HCG chassis has more flex in the longitudinal direction between the front and rear bulkheads, and there is more binding along the shaftís surrounding chassis, plus when power is applied as the chassis is flexing, one or both ends of the shaft is only making partial contact with the drive hubs. Either way too much pressure is applied to an insufficient contact surface and thus stripping the softer center drive shaft.

Speaking of the El Sob special.. What exactly is it? I've seen you speak of it for at least a year now of me stalking these forums haha.

The new El Sob special motor system is a Mamba X esc and the sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor! It is my absolute favorite motor system The old El Sob special was the ET-3S and 2400kv motor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have run 6s with the new El Sob special motor system with the stock driveshaft and had no problems with it on the LCG chassis. The LCG chassis had seen less problems for me.
    Im curious to see this El Sob motor. Who makes it? Where can I see pictures and info on the El Sob special motor?
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Why is it called the "El Sob " special motor?
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Years ago he put the ET-3S and 2400kv motor (the system from the Funny Car) in his truck and someone else coined it the "El Sob Special" and the name has stuck since. That combo was essentially a Castle system and since the ESC is very hard to come by today, the EL Sob 2.0 is as mentioned above.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-14-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Thanks for your input. I’ll have to go to back to my stock setup then.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Years ago he put the ET-3S and 2400kv motor (the system from the Funny Car) in his truck and someone else coined it the "El Sob Special" and the name has stuck since. That combo was essentially a Castle system and since the ESC is very hard to come by today, the EL Sob 2.0 is as mentioned above.
    Pictures have long since disappeared, but this is the thread where Matts175 originally coined the "El Sob Special":
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...uy-quot-thread

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Pictures have long since disappeared, but this is the thread where Matts175 originally coined the "El Sob Special":
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...uy-quot-thread

I was looking for that thread but after 20 pages of search results I ran out of time.

Good find!
    The Super Derecho