RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 3s new setup

Hello, I currently have a Slash 4x4 that I am looking to get around 40 mph out of, top speed on a 3s lipo. I was wondering what motor and esc combo would be capable of achieving this, if there is one. When I race it I always run a 2s 50c gens ace battery, but I want the capability of hitting 40 by putting a 3s lipo in it without having to re-gear my truck and then have it overheat. I like bashing around with it in my yard but like racing it as well.

Currently I have the Castle sidewinder SCT esc (old red case) with the 3800kv castle motor and I haven't tried it with my 12 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur setup, but I assume it'll run to hot considering I had a 15/54 setup and the motor would get too hot on a 2s lipo.

I also have a heatsink and a fan on it, to keep it cooler, the setup now can run all day long on 2s without going over 120 degrees, even racing. But like I said I want more top end and I am willing to upgrade my esc motor combo to achieve this speed.

If anyone has any setups or combos that can achieve this, or other advice I would appreciate it, thanks!

My two pole Velineon motor system will achieve your goal. The new El Sob special motor system will difinately fit the bill
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    My two pole Velineon motor system will achieve your goal. The new El Sob special motor system will difinately fit the bill
    How do you think that two pole velineon system does in the 4x4? I've used one in my old slash 4x4 years ago and man it got really hot. But for what it was it was incredibly powerful

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Velineon in my Slash 2x4 now, and it gets hot on the 3s, so that probably wouldn't be good in the 4x4. I am not familiar with the El Sob motor system (lolololol). Does Castle make anything that fits what i am looking for

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgkskater1996 View Post
    I have the Velineon in my Slash 2x4 now, and it gets hot on the 3s, so that probably wouldn't be good in the 4x4. I am not familiar with the El Sob motor system (lolololol). Does Castle make anything that fits what i am looking for
    Depending on your budget yea lol. I'd recommend looking at hobbystar motors before castle tho. I've had nothing but good times with hobbystar. Although my castle motors have also been great as well

RC Enthusiast
    I am not familiar with hobbystar, I'll have to check them out. And my budget is anything under $300

RC Racer
    I am not familiar with hobbystar, I'll have to check them out. And my budget is anything under $300
    $300 just for motor and esc?

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, preferably less then that, but I'm willing to spend that to get the results I'm looking for. Again i don't really want to, but i also was the esc & motor combo to be bulletproof.

RC Racer
    yeah, preferably less then that, but I'm willing to spend that to get the results I'm looking for. Again i don't really want to, but i also was the esc & motor combo to be bulletproof.
    Definitely look at hobbystar options then. I can't imagine you spending anywhere near $300 on just a motor and esc lol. In my old slash I ran the hobbystar 2650kv motor with a hobby wing 120amp esc and it was stupid fast. I think that would be good for you.

Look around at all of your options and I'm sure you can find what your looking for

This is (I think ) El Sob's special ESC/motor combo: Castle Creations Mamba Monster X with 2200kv motor
    I like free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    This is (I think ) El Sob's special ESC/motor combo: Castle Creations Mamba Monster X with 2200kv motor
    Nope...

This combo:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0160-01
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Man, I was close
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    Man, I was close
    Haha

RC Enthusiast
    Update:

Went to the local track and was talking with a friend about the Mamba X ESC from castle, after a long time debating between that and a Hobbystar, I went with the Castle Mamba X.

The Mamba X has been awesome and is exactly what i had been looking for. the Castle Link software is also an awesome bonus. The slash can run 3s lipo all day on hard pavement with the 12/54 gearing i have, i will be testing it in some dirt and grass here in the next few days.

I took it to an indoor clay track, i ran it for approximately 6 hours straight with no brakes on a 2s lipos (40c - 100c) and only once did i get the Mamba X cooling fan to come on, the truck ran 110F ESC and 120F motor temps all night until i put in a 8000Mah 2s and ran it until the battery died, then temps got a little warmer but nothing major 140F ESC and 135F Motor temp. For what its worth, the ambient air was 84 F and very humid. Very pleased with the new ESC.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Edit: 12/54 gearing

I achieved 49 mph with the castle 3800 geared 14/54 on 3s. 12/54 should easily get you to 40.
    its not fun until something breaks

Update:

Went to the local track and was talking with a friend about the Mamba X ESC from castle, after a long time debating between that and a Hobbystar, I went with the Castle Mamba X.

The Mamba X has been awesome and is exactly what i had been looking for. the Castle Link software is also an awesome bonus. The slash can run 3s lipo all day on hard pavement with the 12/54 gearing i have, i will be testing it in some dirt and grass here in the next few days.

I took it to an indoor clay track, i ran it for approximately 6 hours straight with no brakes on a 2s lipos (40c - 100c) and only once did i get the Mamba X cooling fan to come on, the truck ran 110F ESC and 120F motor temps all night until i put in a 8000Mah 2s and ran it until the battery died, then temps got a little warmer but nothing major 140F ESC and 135F Motor temp. For what its worth, the ambient air was 84 F and very humid. Very pleased with the new ESC.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Edit: 12/54 gearing
    I'm extremely happy that you like the Mamba X esc! I have tried a few different esc's and that is currently my favorite
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!