Thread: Diffs.

RC Racer

Diffs.

So arriving at my house in the next few days is a used slash 4x4 I ordered because I missed my old one so much. Now, one of the things I remember from my old 4x4 is the diffs would go out pretty often. With my new one I don't plan on going as insane as I didn't last time as far as motor and esc go... I'll try and keep it all 10th scale electronics haha.

I'm still concerned about the diffs being a weak point in the driveline and I'm wondering what can be done to upgrade them.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Traxxas makes hardened ring and pinion 6879R and front 5379R. and run XO-1 diffs.
    I run LEM spiders gears which are not available anymore.
    Last edited by Forrest; 05-14-2019 at 01:11 AM.

RC Racer
    I've tried the diffs with the big I brace in the middle and still had issues with my old setup. What's the difference between the stock spider gears and the ones you run?

RC Racer
    brand new 4x4 ultimate, front dif blew in a week, struggling to repair it a month later. have fun

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    brand new 4x4 ultimate, front dif blew in a week, struggling to repair it a month later. have fun
    Is that with stock electronics? I was running mine with an 8th scale 2650kv motor on 4s and I was going through diffs lol.

If you are worried about your differentials, you can order a complete differential from places like Jenny's rc. Get one from an X0-1. You have to have all of the XO-1 parts. Just the plates or the I bar alone make a weak unit. They work together to make a strong differential.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    If you are worried about your differentials, you can order a complete differential from places like Jenny's rc. Get one from an X0-1. You have to have all of the XO-1 parts. Just the plates or the I bar alone make a weak unit. They work together to make a strong differential.
    That explains a lot. My friend used to have an e revo at the time I had my slash and I remember we found out we had the same diff and he kept blowing them up left and right. It seemed like every time he would run it a diff would go.

We never ordered a full xo-1 diff. We just ordered whatever part broke that time. I'll definitely give the xo-1 diffs and hardened ring and pinion a try if I have problems with my new slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    That explains a lot. My friend used to have an e revo at the time I had my slash and I remember we found out we had the same diff and he kept blowing them up left and right. It seemed like every time he would run it a diff would go.

We never ordered a full xo-1 diff. We just ordered whatever part broke that time. I'll definitely give the xo-1 diffs and hardened ring and pinion a try if I have problems with my new slash.

That sounds like your problem. If you don't have all of the external parts, the XO-1 differential is not very strong at all. I have been waiting for one of my ring and pinion gears to go out before I get the new spiral cut hardened gears. Hasn't happened yet.

RC Enthusiast
    What are the parts and numbers for the X01 diff if you dont have that what about where can we get a diagram with these parts in a exploded veiw ot part # for complete X01 diff.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Go to the Support button above and download the XO-1 and Slash exploded views. You will find that most parts are the same with just a few differences. It won't cost much to change them to the XO-1 diffs.

Same thing goes with the nitro Revo vs ERBE diffs or T-Maxx vs E-Maxx diffs. There are little differences but doesn't cost much to upgrade and they all have the same part numbers as the Slash and XO-1.

Reference: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-ML-121120.pdf
    Last edited by Double G; 05-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Is that with stock electronics? I was running mine with an 8th scale 2650kv motor on 4s and I was going through diffs lol.

stock, mixed 2s/3s use

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Thank you for all this. Ordering one from Jenny's now. This would have been cheaper and easier to begin with. When I went into the local shop asking for a new diff that is what I was hoping for, not 30 or 40 bucks worth of misc parts bags that I can't put together.

RC Racer
    I've tried the diffs with the big I brace in the middle and still had issues with my old setup. What's the difference between the stock spider gears and the ones you run?

The LEM "Leading Edge Machine" are they are hardened steel. If you can find them they are the best. I've seen Some chinesium ones around.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    The LEM "Leading Edge Machine" are they are hardened steel. If you can find them they are the best. I've seen Some chinesium ones around.
    That shop has been shut down for years now.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    That shop has been shut down for years now.
    So other than lem is there any high quality spider gears you can buy?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So other than lem is there any high quality spider gears you can buy?

GPM makes a set. Iím gonna try them out if and when the stock gears fail. I should point out I that I donít own a Slash but I use the 6882X gears in my OG Rustler and P4de and have not had issues with them.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    stock, mixed 2s/3s use

Thank you for all this. Ordering one from Jenny's now. This would have been cheaper and easier to begin with. When I went into the local shop asking for a new diff that is what I was hoping for, not 30 or 40 bucks worth of misc parts bags that I can't put together.
    Let us know how they work for you. I have been happy for years running the XO-1 differential. I have an older thread about differentials. It has a lot of useful information

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...fferential-cup

RC Racer
    ty, bookmarking that for later reading. Trying to build one up from scratch with traxxas parts was just frustrating me. It would have been cheaper to go this way from the start if I had known but I will figure it out eventually. This is what I was hoping to get when I went in to the hobby shop telling them I blew my diff and wanted a new one.

3978 diff cup
    6882x gear set
    3236 screws

Put it together with the lube of your choice...done.
    Beat mine ruthlessly today with a 4074 2150kv, a 4s pack, 2.8 Trenchers. Never flinched.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post

Put it together ....
    there in lies the rub. can i borrow your steady hands?