RC Competitor

What tires for asphalt?

I’m running some 2.8” bandito st they handle great but the sidewalls are coming apart and won’t last long anyone have any suggestions? It’s only happening to the outside of the rears so has to be from the tires rolling over when cornering at high speed.
    Last edited by Jimmyrigs; 05-15-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added pic

RC Qualifier
    Maybe try a little more negative camber if it's just happening on the outside.

RC Racer
    Following. Are those bandito wheels belted like the GRP GT1 wheels I see guys using on E-Revos? ?

I got a set of pro line road rage 2.8 and the same in 2.2/3.0. I used them both only once on the 4x4 slash (2s) before I broke the front dif. I have a feeling testing the 2.2/3.0 was a big cause for the front dif going out and clicking. They are super grippy, way gripper than the wider 2.8 version of the same tire. I tried those 2.2/3.0 on my 2wd rustler vxl (on 2s again) and they were so grippy my slipper clutch went out. Now that I got a new clutch installed and way tighter I put the 2.8 back on and had a blast with it yesterday in the skate park. I haven't done any other testing like hi speed with them yet.

RC Competitor
    Well I added another -2° Of camber for a total of -5 at ride height. Tested it on the bench still seemed like it was rolling over way to far on the sidewall and bead so I moved the camber link down a hole on the shock tower. Seems to stay off the sidewall a lot more, will get out and test it out shortly. They are not belted, I’m gonna stop buying them mounted so I can tape them up. Oven works awesome taking them off but it’s still a pain.

RC Competitor
    Got a good 30 minute run in and they don’t seem much worse. I’ll rotate the tires tomorrow and find out how it’s working. The truck handles awesome with the links and camber where it’s set. Pushes a bit at speed if you don’t get the rear sliding enough, drifts on the slicker pavement. Still think I need a stiffer tire I think these banditos have to much sidewall flex.
    Last edited by Jimmyrigs; 05-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hope this helps. I run the proline street fighters on the renegade wheels on asphalt and I love them. Had to tweak my setup a little bit because I was getting so much grip that I was lifting the wheels off the ground when I was turning and if I had to go through a quick change of direction they would just bite and flip the truck over. Now that I tweaked my setup and the tires are broken in a little bit they grip perfectly and slide just enough when I need them to. Also has a nice stiff sidewall. Almost reminds me of a good low profile tire like the ones on my r/t Challenger.(real car not RC)
    Last edited by Junior3815; 05-15-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

RC Racer
    I just ordered a set of Duratrax Pickets. I was looking at the Banditos but I wanted some more slip on pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    I just ordered a set of Duratrax Pickets. I was looking at the Banditos but I wanted some more slip on pavement.

Those look like a nice option for either/or skate parks / tracks. I hit the skate park yesterday on my rustler 2wd then went to he dirt track today and only switched the rear tires but had to change my fronts at the track after a lap or so.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Those look like a nice option for either/or skate parks / tracks. I hit the skate park yesterday on my rustler 2wd then went tot he dirt track today and only switched the rear tires but had to change my fronts at the track after a lap or so.
    That’s exactly what I was looking for. I like to wander on and off-road a little bit.

RC Competitor
    Anyone try the grp Revo belted tires?

RC Competitor
    Test run earlier, let my friend drive. Me being a noob I forgot to press record for most of it.

Last edited by Jimmyrigs; 05-15-2019 at 10:51 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrigs View Post
    Quick video after the changes earlier, I screwed up and didn’t push record missed a good 5 minutes of quality run time, still a noob, lol. I let my friend drive, he is mostly a throttle on driver but he is getting better.
    https://vimeo.com/336500044*******em-share
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

oh i think the forum strips the characters from that site's url

Does this work?

https://youtu.be/nfiVzbkYFaI

this is one weird vbulletin forum
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-15-2019 at 11:00 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yea that one worked. Think I got mine fixed.

RC Competitor
    I went with G-Locs. I really like the construction of these tires, they have a nice stiff feel to them. They handled a little better than the banditos did not much but understeer was not as bad still there but easier to get the rear to slide. Unfortunately I killed another idler gear up to 5 in the last month now, just switched back to the rpm trans case too. Back to traxxas trans for now haven’t stripped a gear in one driving yet. I did crashing though it was one of my better wrecks though with the stampede.

RC Racer
    thx OP. I got 2 sets of 2.8 bandito rears today cuz they were out of the offset fronts for my rustler vxl 2wd and I am loving them on asphalt and concrete roads so far with a half turn off my slipper clutch. I am hoping to try them in the skate park tomorrow if it isn't too busy/packed with kids that I might hit.

Now I want some belted GRP 1/8th scale tires for my e-revo. Do they make belted solid rubber wheels for 1/10th scale on road drag and hi speed? It seems like it would be way more stable than foam tires or foam filled rubber 2.2/3.0 or even 2.8. My pro-line road rage 2.8/3.0 grip and don't ballon much but I would like something that doesn't balloon at all.

RC Competitor
    I’m pretty interested in those grp tires too, would just have to upgrade to 17mm hex. If I’m remembering right I think they are a little bigger than 3.8” so right there with most of the tires we run. I just wonder if they are much heavier.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrigs View Post
    I’m pretty interested in those grp tires too, would just have to upgrade to 17mm hex. If I’m remembering right I think they are a little bigger than 3.8” so right there with most of the tires we run. I just wonder if they are much heavier.
    If I buy them and the hex adapters before you I will try them and the others I have and update the thread. I was already looking at hex adapters cuz of another thread about tires/wheels so it may happen sooner rather than later....

RC Racer
    Managed to blow out a rear bandito in just 24 hours. I took it to the small skate park by my house that has some slick sorta coating on the concrete and it was spinning so bad on 2s they ballooned a few times and let go. They did great on the asphalt and the other park that has concrete at least. Hopefully I can just shoot some super glue in there and use it as a front for a while.

RC Racer
    Get some tire glue from the hobby shop. Bonds in minutes and you can race on in after 15 mins or so

RC Racer
    thx, went and got some and tried the 2.2/3.0 proline streetfighters again. Way too grippy and narrow. I was side rolling if I turned too sharp on accel/decel. I put the 2.8 proline road rage back on and was instantly happy again. Just the right amount of grip to let the clutch work on 3s accels on asphalt and no side rolling. I did however have it wheelie on me more than once at speed when the clutch fully engaged if I didn't remember to slam the wheelie bar down. Not fun trying to control a car when it starts to wheelie at 25 or 30. I imagine some of that may be air getting under the chassis/body more than my original thought of the clutch being fully engaged when it wheelies? I know the slash 4x4 is prone to do that at high speed but wasn't sure about the rustler since it's body covers most/more of the chassis.

I was just on ebay and some rc sites looking to build up a 2wd slash roller and lcg chassis for a proper on road drag/speed car project to build up from scratch. I guess I am fully obsessed/addicted to my new hobby. Hopefully wallet can handle it.

RC Racer
    I hope the Pickets ate a better choice over the Banditos. Proline makes some tough tires. Guess the extra 25-35$ is justified.

RC Racer
    I will be trying a set of those soon, and a set of belted grp mediums for my e-revo 2.0 and some stiffer springs.

does anyone make belted 1/10th wheels or do we have to gorilla tape + super glue the insides of the rubber to stop them from ballooning?
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-18-2019 at 08:30 PM.

RC Racer
    The road rage 2.8's out on a test tonight on the rustler vxl:

RC Competitor
    Looks like you were getting the same wear I was. They don’t really seem to hold up to speed that great the banditos would probably be perfect for a titan powered car. Made it out to the parking lot again today, moved the camber links from the middle hole to the top on the shock tower and set the camber to 0 degrees and tossed the lcg progressives back on, seemed to push a lot less but the outside front tire was hopping added 1 turn in and it helped a bit. Tires are holding up really well no wear on the sidewalls at all. The rears have noticeable tread wear but that’s more me pushing to hard. I’ve been told a couple of times to switch over to foam tires anyone have thoughts on that? I’m thinking I will shred them pretty fast.
    Here’s another clip testing changes today.

RC Racer

2.8 bandito blowout in green vs 3x 2.2/3.0 pro-line street fighter for comparison.

and almost fully unsprung:

RC Competitor
    I finally broke down and got the protrac kit, actually it was in the bargain bin at the lhs open package. Score!!!!!! Lol. I didn’t believe all the hype. I had rpm wide front and rpm rears protrac towers and figured how much better could it be? A lot. The truck is so much more predictable. Guess the rubbery rpm arms were giving quite a bit. Next up is axles and 3s, anyone have a recommendations? I’m pretty sure most are going to say mip, but if ya know something cheaper or better.