RC Racer

I figured out why the stock pinons are so hard to remove!

I had read a couple threads in the Slash Forum about people struggling to remove the stock pinion from the motor. I thought, "Just use the 1.5mm wrench included with the vehicle."

Wel I took the pinion off of my Titan 12t the other day, and the 1.5mm wrench slipped in the bolt head, and the 2mm wouldn't fit. I got a 1.5mm screwdriver but and had the same result. Now, I was thinking, "What have I done wrong?" I decided I would use a 1/16 Allen bit incase this was the only Imperial screw on the car. It was!

The pinion grub screw in a 1/16 bit, not a 1.5mm bit!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    I had read a couple threads in the Slash Forum about people struggling to remove the stock pinion from the motor. I thought, "Just use the 1.5mm wrench included with the vehicle."

Wel I took the pinion off of my Titan 12t the other day, and the 1.5mm wrench slipped in the bolt head, and the 2mm wouldn't fit. I got a 1.5mm screwdriver but and had the same result. Now, I was thinking, "What have I done wrong?" I decided I would use a 1/16 Allen bit incase this was the only Imperial screw on the car. It was!

The pinion grub screw in a 1/16 bit, not a 1.5mm bit!
    I started using the torx screws from Robinson for this reason. Some pinions set screws are metric, some are SAE. Got tired of stripping them out!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    The grub screws Traxxas use are metric, 1.5mm. The grub screws some other companies (e.g RRP) use are SAE, 1/16th. The reason why your 1/16" wrench worked is because 1/16" is slightly larger than 1.5mm, and it was able to turn the 1.5mm grub screw that you stripped.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    The grub screws Traxxas use are metric, 1.5mm. The grub screws some other companies (e.g RRP) use are SAE, 1/16th. The reason why your 1/16" wrench worked is because 1/16" is slightly larger than 1.5mm, and it was able to turn the 1.5mm grub screw that you stripped.
    Yup...

The problem really lies in those little black L-wrenches you get with your truck, they are junk and one of the quickest ways to turn a 1.5mm hex into a 1/16" (i.e.: strip it). A good set of tools will cure a lot of this.

And, like Cooleocool said, some companies like Robinson Racing still run SAE instead of metric.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I was cursing Allen screws up and down and was ready to switch back to Phillips screws until I finally ordered a cheap set of Allen drivers off of amazon for $20. It was a hobbyist set that came with 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3mm, they work perfect and even take out the ones I stripped with the little Allen wrenches. If you don’t have a decent set get them they will pay for themselves, not just by saving your screws but your sanity also.

RC poster
    I use the machined and hardened hex drivers by Dynamite and never strip hexes. MIP is good too. The hexes that Traxxas provides are only ok to use on screws that go into plastic and even then it's iffy.

I'm with the OP on this.

The Traxxas pinion set screws may officially be metric 1.5mm but my experience is that they are much closer to being 1/16". Any brand of 1.5mm driver I've ever tried has always had too much play for my liking (including my overpriced Hudy ones).

For several years I've used a 1/16" Wiha hex driver in all Traxxas pinion set screws and, while it's a tight fit, it always squeezes in just fine (even on brand new pinions). I use the same tool on my RR SAE pinions but the fit is much less tight.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car