Thread: LiPo Storage

RC Enthusiast

LiPo Storage

I only recently started using LiPos.

I have a LiPo bag that fits multiple batteries and I have 5 in there at the moment. I thought it would be convenient to keep them together but I recently started thinking if one ignites it will likely trigger all the others if stored together. Is there any standard 'best practice' for storing in one bag or separately?

I'm rather paranoid about a fire so I watched some videos of what a lipo fire looks like when the battery ignites inside a lipo bag. No flames appeared to escape but smoke did and I believe the zipper melted on the bag. My bag has Velcro, not a zipper - not sure which is preferred. But the bottom of the bag got so hot that it burned the board it was sitting on. I'm concerned that could start a fire even though no flames actually escape .

I was thinking it might be a good idea to put the lipo bag inside a fire-safe box (the cheap document protection boxes you can get for $30 or so). this might keep the surface under the lip bag safe(r) if there's a battery failure. My plan was to close and lock to box to prevent oxygen getting to any fire that might start. Then I rethought about the idea of a fire starting in the box and building up pressure awaiting me to unlock the box and have it shoot out high temp / high pressure gasses. Thoughts on any of this or experience from anyone?

Heat, oxygen, fuel and chemical reaction are referred to as the fire triangle and are necessary for a fire to burn. Take one away and you don't have fire.

So if there is a fire, first off: DON'T PANIC! Every fire I've been on/in or in command of the general public freaks out.

Good idea to put it in a fire resistant container. If it were to ignite, seal it and move it to an area where there are noncombustible materials and let it cool. There may be a little pressure from the fire, but as it cools the air inside cools and contracts as well.

One thing is to not build anxiety over the batteries spontaneously combusting. The videos you watch are mainly due to someone damaging the lipo intentionally just to make a video. Did you watch video upon video of car crashes before you got your driver's license?

Take care of the battery such as store at storage charge, don't over-discharge it, charge it in lipo mode only, don't puncture it or abuse it and you'll be just fine.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback

I spent the first 2 years of my rc hobby without lipo’s because I didn’t want to deal with the risk. There is so much talk about lipo fires that i have a hard time figuring out how much risk there really is... as you say, the videos I watched were deliberate abuse (puncture) to trigger the fire

I run only Traxxas batteries and use Traxxas chargers for the moment and intend to stay that way to keeping charging simple.

RC Racer
    ...bar a lightning strike you are good.

I know the batteries are different tech, but same holds true as they are similar and high output. Be smart and safe and you will be fine.

Please familiarize yourself with the rules of this forum.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...havior-(Rules)
    Thanks!
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-17-2019 at 07:22 AM.

RC Competitor
    ... all the above being said (and true), I keep mine in individual lipo-safe bags, stashed inside of an "ammo-can" purchased at the local hobby shop. I find that I can then pull the individual battery (in it's own bag) out of the can to charge it while keeping it safe-ish (since it's being charged while still in the bag).

Double-G is probably right, in that lipo batteries are unlikely to burst into flames while "just sitting there", but I'm paranoid, and while I admit that fact, the mere admission of that on my part does NOT mean that 'they' are not out to get me ;-)

Ammo-can looks like this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/50-CAL-Ammo-C.../dp/B00ICR9LBW, although mine has the Mike's Auto Parts (a Traxxas 'Full Service, Exclusive' dealer) logo on one side. :-) that has GOTTA make it worth the additional $10 that I paid there :-)

The lipo bags are these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (only cuz Mike's did not stock lipo-safe-bags) in the 150x90x55 size that fit the 2S and 3S lipos for my rustler 4x4 just perfectly.

Yes, both of these items are unlikely to need to do the job they are designed to do, that does NOT mean that they are not worth every penny that I paid for 'em. I feel the same way about the air bags in my cars, and my homeowner's insurance.

Be safe(ish), and have fun! --BillJ

RC Racer
    good on you. I have one big lipo bag that I try to use, or at the very least I charge mine on metal, concrete, stone, etc. I also use ammo cans for the ones in long term storage state.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Single_Trac

Another question I meant to ask (but forgot) was whether I should be charging with the batteries actually in the bag. I think i'll pick up some single-battery bags.

Also - this made me realize that I have to take better care of my drone battery. Wife and I bought ourselves a Phatom (4?) a few years ago and I didn't realize it had a lipo… we used the drone like twice and it's been sitting ever since. I have to dig up that battery and throw it in the lipo bag. I'm actually not sure if there's a way to 'storage charge' with the charger they provide :-(

Quote Originally Posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
    Thanks Single_Trac

Another question I meant to ask (but forgot) was whether I should be charging with the batteries actually in the bag. I think i'll pick up some single-battery bags.

Also - this made me realize that I have to take better care of my drone battery. Wife and I bought ourselves a Phatom (4?) a few years ago and I didn't realize it had a lipo… we used the drone like twice and it's been sitting ever since. I have to dig up that battery and throw it in the lipo bag. I'm actually not sure if there's a way to 'storage charge' with the charger they provide :-(
    That's something you'll need to ask the manufacture about.
    The Super Derecho

And yes, you should charge them in the lipo bags. They are more likely to blow while charging then just sitting around. I have a 6 year old lipo thats been sitting in storage for years now, and it only puffed a little. But, it wasn't storage charged so it's toast now.
    I like free stuff!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
    I'm actually not sure if there's a way to 'storage charge' with the charger they provide :-(
    Some of the newer ones have "intelligent batteries" and will auto-discharge to storage if not used more than a certain amount of time, though I'm not sure which have that feature.

RC Competitor
    lowpolyjoe:

Sp2deSummit said it, but I'll answer your question about charging the batteries in the 'lipo-safe-bags' by quoting the last few lines of the 'Product Description' for them on Amazon:
    Warning:
    * Never leave charging battery unattended.
    * Always ensure the battery is on a non-flammable surface.
    * Ensure flap is sealed while charging.

Have Fun --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    thanks everybody.

I have a small fire-safe on the way from amazon - I will keep my batteries in there for storage (they will also be inside lipo bags)

I also have a 4-pack of small lipo bags so I can start charging while in bags and maybe storing 2 to a bag instead of 6 in a single bag

I just checked and my drone battery does day "intelligent" on it. a very quick search and I can't tell if it auto-manages its storage charge but i'll dig around some more when I have time

RC Racer
    I have one small bag so far for charging like this and ordering a second now - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...U14GIA1C&psc=1

I can easily stick 2 in there off one dual charger. I can fit up to 6 boxed batteries in there so it is handy when out bashing and carrying batteries in my backpack.

And ordering one of these for storage - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...EWWE4EEQ&psc=1

I am not sure if one is enough for storage of all my batteries or not but if not I will get a 2nd one later.

RC Competitor
    It depends on the capacity of the LiPo and its charge status. If it's large AND charged fully, a punctured LiPo will vent and shoot flames. The raging fire will cause a thermal run-away reaction until all adjacent cells are fully vented and depleted.

At best, a small LiPo will smoke and throw off some heat causing localized damage. At worst, a large LiPo fully charged can throw off enough fire (heat) to burn the house down!

So far, the general consensus online is to use an ammo box and REMOVE the rubber seal. Should a battery vent, it won't pressurize. Yes, it will smoke out crazy, but at least the fire will be contained. Some will even go so far as to line the bottom, sides, and partition parts of the ammo box with cement board (HardiePlank). It's quite a project, but if you've enough LiPos, I'm thinking storing them in one of those would be peace of mind.

Alternatively, look into the BAT-SAFE. It's the best consumer LiPo enclosure on the market for the price. Avoid the LiPo bags, those don't do squat, and the videos on youtube prove it.

I researched this alot, watched alot of videos, the batsafe IMO is the best option. This a good video for ammo can testing.https://youtu.be/CnNId0mDnBo

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 06-15-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Lipo’s are more popular now in other devices, my dash cam has one, my phone has one. Not as high capacity as rc batteries. The more energy the lipo has the more destructive power. Saying that my phones in my pocket and dash cam is in hot car.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Competitor
    What phone you carrying that has a Lithium Polymer battery?

While most phones that I'm familiar with have Lithium ION batteries, I've not heard of one with a LiPo battery. Lithium Ion are not as stable as say NiMh chemistry, they seem to be more stable than LiPo batteries. I'm far from a chemist, nor battery engineer, but after the Samsung Note7 fiasco (Lithium Ion battery failures), I'd be surprised if any major company is putting an even more volatile battery into a phone.
    That said, I've been wrong before.
    --BillJ

RC Competitor
    ... so, there is a 60-minute window allowed to be able to 'edit' posts, and it look me about 70 minutes to:
    a) realize that I might be talking out my backside here,
    b) take a few minutes to search for Lithium Ion vs Lithium Polymer,
    c) Read some of the links that TheGoogle returned,
    d) Realize that maybe I should amend my earlier statements...
    so... long way of saying that I may have mis-spoke a little. :-)

So, based on this link, it seems that to at least one person's perspective, LiPo and LiION batteries are similar enough to be deemed "more or less the same thing". If I take that to be the perspective that 'trax de max' was coming from, then yea, all modern phones are using LiPo/LiION batteries.

That said, I don't see warnings and videos about LiION battery fires (while there are plenty out there regarding LiPo fires), but I imagine that has more to do the the relative size of the batteries in phones vs in RC vehicles, as well as the limited adjustable parameters available to the average phone user vs the adjustable parameters available to the average RC vehicle hobby enthusiast.

YMMV --BillJ

Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    What phone you carrying that has a Lithium Polymer battery?

While most phones that I'm familiar with have Lithium ION batteries, I've not heard of one with a LiPo battery. Lithium Ion are not as stable as say NiMh chemistry, they seem to be more stable than LiPo batteries. I'm far from a chemist, nor battery engineer, but after the Samsung Note7 fiasco (Lithium Ion battery failures), I'd be surprised if any major company is putting an even more volatile battery into a phone.
    That said, I've been wrong before.
    --BillJ
    Use this one specs.
    Are the videos being watched the same old ones or new ones. I’m kind of worried about dash cam as good ones use capacitors and not batteries. iPads also now use lipo.
    Last edited by trax de max; 06-18-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Competitor
    Watt hours (Wh) = Volts (V) x Amp hour (Ah). To convert mAh to Ah, just take the mAh and ÷ by 1000.

Wh = V x (mAh ÷ 1000)

6700mAh 14.8v 4-Cell 25C LiPo Battery = 99 Wh
    8400mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery = 93 Wh
    10000mAh 7.4v 2-Cell 25C LiPo Battery = 74 Wh
    5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Battery = 56 Wh
    2200mAh 7.4v 2-Cell 25C LiPo Battery = 16 Wh

(Note: Wh figures are rounded up.)

To put that into perspective, a standard Apple iPhone 8 (non-Plus) is rated at just under 7 Wh.