RC Competitor

Best Driveshafts

Hey guys,I was wondering what driveshafts i should upgrade to.I heard that the tekno ones are cool but the wishbones wear out quickly and the x01 driveshafts are a good upgrade but are really expensive I just don't know what i should do

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

If you're a basher or over-powered... MIP X-Duty!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Are MIP X-DUTY good for bashing/speed runs? Or would the traxxas xo-1 shafts be better for bashing/speed runs?
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Tekno M6 would be good because they are lighter. Just be easy on the throttle at takeoff (overpowered motors can have a lot of torque).

That said, X-Dutys would be good because they are stronger and the added weight may aid in stability.

As with most decisions, you have to find the right balance (pros and cons).

In other words... up to you.

RC Racer
    I've had a fair bit of experience with the mip x dutys. They are virtually unbreakable in my opinion lol. I did have a few problems with pins falling out but that's just because I didn't use thread lock on anything haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    lol i had a few face palms on my rustler vxl 2wd rebuild of the broken front bulkhead when I replaced it and both shock towers with strc aluminum.... it had been a while since I did any wrenching or hobby stuff, ... decades.

Sunday I should be able to start the slash 4x4 ultimate rebuild now that I got built and sealed front dif from Jenny's. I will try and remember to take some pics and start a thread if it works out. I got rpm arms, trax axles, strc alum shock towers and a few other bits.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-17-2019 at 08:32 PM.

I have the original set of MIP axles installed on my Ultimate edition since 2011! They have never been rebuilt and still work great. I just received the first Slash 4x4 that I ever built back. I put MIP axles on it in 2012.they still have the axles with the pins in them. They still work perfectly. I will add that I have been running the Traxxas axles since around September and they have worked great. They other trucks have the El Sob special motor system in them. The one with the Traxxas axles has a Velineon motor system.
    Last edited by El Sob; 05-18-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    In other words... up to you.
    If i could make a choice i wouldn't be asking you guys,Its sooooo hard to choose!

Onyx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mip x duty. No issues, and I am slighty modded

If you can’t decide, just get the X-Dutys. Can’t really go wrong. Just know that they are heavy.

I have the MIP X-Duty axles on my Platinum and have no regrets. Running a 2650kv 15xx motor, and Trencher tires. Heavy rig, but I haven't had any issues. Great choice!

I am trying the Traxxas Steel CV axles on my Ultimate. More for the lighter weight, and, I just wanted to try them out and see how they do. Running a 2400kv 14xx motor and Badland tires. (and they look cool too)

I agree with the posts above...MIP's are probably the best you can get, and would recommend those as well.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    I have the MIP X-Duty axles on my Platinum and have no regrets. Running a 2650kv 15xx motor, and Trencher tires. Heavy rig, but I haven't had any issues. Great choice!

I am trying the Traxxas Steel CV axles on my Ultimate. More for the lighter weight, and, I just wanted to try them out and see how they do. Running a 2400kv 14xx motor and Badland tires. (and they look cool too)

I agree with the posts above...MIP's are probably the best you can get, and would recommend those as well.
    I'm running the Traxxas CVDs with the Castle 2650 on 3s. I would recommend going MIP X Duties. The traxxas CVDS are nice but.....I've broken parts 3 different times and lost pins that hold the shaft to the output twice due to torn rubber boots. The MIPS are definitely thicker and don't have the issue with the pins falling out. Once my spare parts for the traxxas CVDS are out im going mips

RC Competitor
    Once I can afford them i'll probably go with the X-Duty shafts.They seem like the best option for my driving style.

Thanks for all your advice

Onyx

Im sure MIP is great, but ive never had an issue with Tekno M6's...i did however break a rear plastic carrier that comes with the kit, although they are said to be somewhat unbreakable
    Slash Ultimate Modified & Summit - Lipos ALWAYS!

RC Competitor
    I will 100% not recommend MIP shafts for bashing. 1st they are expensive, 2nd they are a bit heavier on your truck for bashing, 3rd they will destroy your wheel and diff bearings. (plastic shafts are better for bashing.) 4th they can crack when your jumping and bashing around, 5th they can fall to bits

I went to my local Hobby Shop asking about metal driveshafts and they didn't recommend metal ones. The biggest reason I didn't get metal shafts is because when u upgrade to metal shafts they can break your diffs. (I think keeping a pile of extra plastic driveshafts and replacing shafts is better and cheaper than replacing diffs all the time.)

I haven't broke a plastic shaft in 3 months and I am a hard basher. The place where my shafts break is where the pivot ball joint connects to the holes (AKA the ball joint strips out the hole) Also when it breaks the other half of the shaft is fine, I buy a pile of stub axles and pop them onto the other half of the driveshaft.

Part# 6854x 6853x

604Slash4x4
    Gone Bashing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    I will 100% not recommend MIP shafts for bashing. 1st they are expensive, 2nd they are a bit heavier on your truck for bashing, 3rd they will destroy your wheel and diff bearings. (plastic shafts are better for bashing.) 4th they can crack when your jumping and bashing around, 5th they can fall to bits

I went to my local Hobby Shop asking about metal driveshafts and they didn't recommend metal ones. The biggest reason I didn't get metal shafts is because when u upgrade to metal shafts they can break your diffs. (I think keeping a pile of extra plastic driveshafts and replacing shafts is better and cheaper than replacing diffs all the time.)

I haven't broke a plastic shaft in 3 months and I am a hard basher. The place where my shafts break is where the pivot ball joint connects to the holes (AKA the ball joint strips out the hole) Also when it breaks the other half of the shaft is fine, I buy a pile of stub axles and pop them onto the other half of the driveshaft.

Part# 6854x 6853x

604Slash4x4
    Gone Bashing
    When you are running an 8th scale system on 4s or higher, the plastic shafts simply will not hold up. I'll admit the diffs are the next weakest point but those can also be upgraded. I've also never had issues with bearings blowing out any more with mip than I did with stock plastic shafts. I ran aluminum axle carriers with mine and the bearings held up just fine.

I personally have had no diff issues with my tekno m6's and i drive hard on 3s and 2s, even do the 4s speed runs and holy crow the axles hold up to absolutely everything and are fairly light - maybe its how you drive or how clean you keep your vehicle but i would bust a plastic axle EVERY time i went out on 3s, every fricking time!!! sometimes i would fix one to have another break 15 minutes later, i was ALWAYS fixing axles - i havent touched my M6 axles since i installed them...actually i lie, once when i hit something and tumbled end over end for about 20 feet, one of the axles popped out of the stub axle connected to the diff...i just popped it back in and hit the throttle. Best mod i have ever done to my car, and im not to pleased about having to run the rear plastic carriers because of the special sized bearing Tekno M6 uses
    Slash Ultimate Modified & Summit - Lipos ALWAYS!

RC Racer
    Do you run rpm a arms? I was planning on getting the tekno axles but read on the website not to run rpm a arms with them because they can bend too much and mess up the axle. I've read that some people have no problems with RPM and tekno tho.