RC Racer

Jeep FC body on TRX-4

I have liked the Jeep FC concept truck ever since setting eyes on it, and the TRX-4 is really the ideal platform to make a scale version.

The real FC has portal axles, as does the TRX-4. No other crawler on the market uses portal axles (that I know of) and this reason alone makes it the perfect chassis for the FC. Of course the awesome locking diffs, ladder frame, scale proportions, etc., all do their part as well.

For this, my first re-body effort, I opted to buy an off-the-shelf Jeep FC body. Unfortunately, its wheelbase was not quite long enough to match the TRX-4's long wheelbase configuration, and even the short wheelbase configuration was a bit too long. I did not have the conversion kit handy, and being the impatient guy that I am, I came up with a more complicated solution.

Behold, the long wheelbase Jeep FC.

RC Racer
    I'll take some more pictures a little later to show the cab extension, the inner frame pieces, the rock rails, the orange cone rack, etc. I use a Prusa I3 Mk3 3d printer to print my parts in PLA plastic. I use Solidworks to draw the parts, and a digital caliper to figure out all the dimensions. I try to design the parts to have the same 'look' as Traxxas components. I think mostly I succeed, but some are destined for revision.

Paint is Tamiya spray for polycarbonate with flat black primer overcoat. It is mottled because I did a horrible job spraying in the yellow and it ran and sagged all over the place. I persisted despite the bad job, and once overcoated in black I thought it had a cool looking appearance, so I am happy. or lucky.

RC Racer
    My goal for the truck is to improve stock rock crawling. The body is my attempt to lower the stock (Defender) center of gravity. I have the high-torque Traxxas servo and BEC, and plan to add some brass at the 4 corners, probably wheel weights and knuckles. Might get rid of battery tray and run with smaller, lower pack too. I watched an amazing crawler last weekend at a local club and he had lowered his center of gravity, including the small pack. I will copy him.

RC Racer
    I'm printing scale Jeep side mirrors as i type this.....

Last edited by ben1272; 05-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.

RC Racer

RC Racer
    Here is a mounted side mirror...

RC Racer
    Rear of truck with trailer hitch mounted traffic cone carrier...

RC Racer
    I made a new crossmember for fitting into the rear frame to support the stock Defender bumper up higher. You can also see the cone carrier a little better...

RC Racer
    The rock rails were made to look like the ones used on the full scale Jeep FC...

RC Racer
    The inside of the shell has been stretched and supported by various new frames screwed in with M3 x 8mm button head screws like those used by Traxxas. I plan to add one more frame at the rear end that will stiffen it and add the pins for alignment and retention in the stock Defender bumper...

RC Racer
    I think I am going to come up with some wood decking for the top of the bed. I think it will be a nice contrast to the modern look of the new FC concept. I'll post some more pictures when the time comes. That's all for now!

Very nice work looks great

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Awesome work!!!

I am getting ready to order a 3D printer in the next couple weeks, looking forward to doing the same stuff you are.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I dont like how I designed the first mirror set....they are not swept back a bit, and look off as a result. I re-designed them so that the mirror can be adjusted and I will superglue them at an appropriate angle.

RC Racer
    What's next...

RC Racer
    Wood deck on the bed...still have some black painting to do.

RC Racer
    New swept side mirrors with aluminum tape used for mirror glass...

RC Racer
    Also, here are a couple of pictures of the wood bed cover. I think I'm going to find some magnets for holding it onto the bed. Easy to put on/off that way.