RC poster

Trx 4 sport or trx 4

Hi everyone
    I am new to crawling and have only ever really had a slash before so Iím a newbie to rev as well.
    I am looking to get into crawling and both of these options seem great but I really like how the trx 4 has 2 speeds. Does anyone have any advice as to which would be the better option for a new crawler? I no thereís a lot of variables and such but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott

Either one should serve you well, it all depends on your budget and how important the extra features are.

I like the two-speed in my TRX4, but honestly, I would be just has happy without it. I have gone to spools in the differentials just because it simplifies the rig.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tigheguy View Post
    Hi everyone
    I am new to crawling and have only ever really had a slash before so Iím a newbie to rev as well.
    I am looking to get into crawling and both of these options seem great but I really like how the trx 4 has 2 speeds. Does anyone have any advice as to which would be the better option for a new crawler? I no thereís a lot of variables and such but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Scott
    For ease of use the sport is the way to go.it also performs very very well.
    Less money to start out.
    Less things to deal with until you get the upgrade bug....it happens no way to stop it.....lol .Embrace the illness known as scale and trail crawling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Thank you both, I am leaning towards the sport for sure as I don’t want it more complicated than it needs to be esp off the start. How hard is it to add the two speed transmission if I eventually wanted to ?

Thank you both, I am leaning towards the sport for sure as I donít want it more complicated than it needs to be esp off the start. How hard is it to add the two speed transmission if I eventually wanted to ?
    If I guess right....part #8196 is the 2 speed conversion kit.
    Reminds me of the erevo summit trans.same trans summit had 2 speed installed erevo did not.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    i have a trx4 sport very good rig i would get the trx4 defender because i like the body

RC Racer
    I am new to rock crawling, but I have already seen the occasions where it is awesome to be able to run with unlocked differentials and then switch them on for the traction. I would get them if you can budget it. But if not, it is always fun and rewarding to make upgrades any time, so you will have that to look forward to. You cant lose!

RC Competitor
    Speed might be a consideration. I have the TRX Bronco. Normal high gear speed is not real fast but still fast enough. Low gear is fairly slow. From what I've read the Sport is in between. I got this from another crawler page. Top speed of the Bronco is a gear ratio of 25.85. Low gear 64.64. The Sport is 36.25.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Ranger View Post
    Speed might be a consideration. I have the TRX Bronco. Normal high gear speed is not real fast but still fast enough. Low gear is fairly slow. From what I've read the Sport is in between. I got this from another crawler page. Top speed of the Bronco is a gear ratio of 25.85. Low gear 64.64. The Sport is 36.25.
    That is a good point that I had not considered.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Mine was the tactical edition.
    I have changed a bunch of stuff mind you. I like the 2 speed and selectable lockers.
    I came from the summit so I am familiar with the extra servos etc
    I have upgradeitis....A terrible illness
    But I don't suffer alone...look around there are many of us.lol

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    I switched to crawling after a time of using a rc tank. My one and only rig is the TRX-4 Defender and I never regretted spending the money. For simple trailing I use high gear and all diffs open until I reach some more challenging terrain. Then I drive as much as I can in low gear until I get stuck. Only then do I start locking the diffs; the crawling improvement is amazing. Unfortunately you will sacrifice some turning ability with locked diffs. May not be a problem if you are used to it, but I wouldn't want to give up the tighter turning radius on the trail with the diffs open.

So if you have the funds available my vote would be for one of the models with the 2 speed transmission and remote controlled diff locks. Although the Sport climbs like a mountain goat and my defender like a tired teddy bear; I am used by now to its limitations and wouldn't want to change.

Any chance for you to test drive both models at your lhs or from a friend before you put down any cash?
    Reinhard

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAlteFritz View Post
    I switched to crawling after a time of using a rc tank. My one and only rig is the TRX-4 Defender and I never regretted spending the money. For simple trailing I use high gear and all diffs open until I reach some more challenging terrain. Then I drive as much as I can in low gear until I get stuck. Only then do I start locking the diffs; the crawling improvement is amazing. Unfortunately you will sacrifice some turning ability with locked diffs. May not be a problem if you are used to it, but I wouldn't want to give up the tighter turning radius on the trail with the diffs open.

So if you have the funds available my vote would be for one of the models with the 2 speed transmission and remote controlled diff locks. Although the Sport climbs like a mountain goat and my defender like a tired teddy bear; I am used by now to its limitations and wouldn't want to change.

Any chance for you to test drive both models at your lhs or from a friend before you put down any cash?
    Completely agree with this - which is why I've just picked up the Defender myself too! My thinking was, as I get used to the truck I have the option to start using the dual transmission and diff locks etc. Id rather it was there from the start then miss is and want to add it later on......
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC poster
    Thank you for all the input, i guess it really comes down to if the 2 speed transmission is worth the extra money to me

RC Competitor
    Thank you for all the input, i guess it really comes down to if the 2 speed transmission is worth the extra money to me
    I have both the Bronco and the Blazer and its like the best of both worlds. High speed for trail running and general trekking thru the woods or whatever. Then the option of the low gear, and its pretty low, for crawling and getting over obstacles along the way. I low gear I've run them up a more than 45 degree ramp with ease.

RC poster
    Have both, deff the sport. Yeah you get the added coolness on the other model but its too big and cumbersome compared to the sport.