RC Competitor

Convert stampede 4x4 to rustler

Hi,

Been out of the game for a bit. The new rustler 4x4 looks awesome. What parts do I need to I need to convert my 'pede 4x4 to the new rustler 4x4 lcg chassis?

Best thing to do is compare the Parts Lists, as well as Exploded Views, of both vehicles. I'm sure it's not an extensive list, but I'm equally certain it's also not a short enough list to list the individual parts here.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Got it. Has someone found a way to run the stampede body without it floating way above the rustler 4x4 chassis?

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking run a front shock tower in the rear, if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by korelinlakes View Post
    Got it. Has someone found a way to run the stampede body without it floating way above the rustler 4x4 chassis?
    I believe Pro-Line has an adjustable-height body mount kit. Of course, you'd have to replace the stock Rustler shock towers with the Slash/Stampede towers, as the Rusty uses towers designed specifically for their "one-click" body.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by korelinlakes View Post
    I'm thinking run a front shock tower in the rear, if that's possible.
    Yes you can. You'll have flip it around and do a little carving. I did it with rpm towers.

RC Racer
    There are a few sellers on eBay that sell rustler 4x4 chassis kits for everything inside the chassis pan minus the motor, esc, and servo, and if not included the you will need to add the center drive shaft as well as the front and rear bulkheads to convert to LCG similar to the Sl4sh LCG kit.

As a matter of fact, study the parts in the Slash 4x4 LCG conversion kit #7421. You will need all of the Rustler counterparts plus the center drive shaft and shock towers if you want to use the clipless body.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    There are a few sellers on eBay that sell rustler 4x4 chassis kits for everything inside the chassis pan minus the motor, esc, and servo, and if not included the you will need to add the center drive shaft as well as the front and rear bulkheads to convert to LCG similar to the Sl4sh LCG kit.

As a matter of fact, study the parts in the Slash 4x4 LCG conversion kit #7421. You will need all of the Rustler counterparts plus the center drive shaft and shock towers if you want to use the clipless body.
    Good advice, thanks. To go from stampede to rustler cost me $57. Here's what I bought:

- $13 (ebay) Traxxas Rustler Slash 4x4 LCG Steering Turnbuckle Bulkhead Skid Plates Ultimate.
    - $25 +$9 shipping (ebay) Traxxas RUSTLER 4X4 VXL LCG Chassis Battery Hold Down Motor Mount &Slipper Cover
    - $10 (local hobby shop) Rustler 4x4 VXL centerdrive shaft

The only other thing I needed to complete the transformation was two screws for the front skidplate: TRA 3936 screws 4x10mm button-head machine. These are countersunk screws on the stampede.

Notes from conversion: I flipped the rear body mount around, and was able to mount the stampede body without drilling any new holes in the body. It looks ridiculous, because the body sits way above the new chassis, but it works for now. The handling is so much better. I took it to the 1/8th scale track and it was much easier to turn and accelerate without flipping over. I'm going to try to fit an EB48 body on it. The chassis is about 1/2 inch too wide, but I'll see if I can make it work. If it works out, I'll post up some pics.

On a separate note, I want to give a quick shout out to Traxxas for making great rc's. Yes, you have to modify them quite a bit if you want to run them hard and have them be reliable, but after making the investment, they are super durable and cheaper to maintain than other brands. I also love that they support the same models for many years and have great parts availability and aftermarket support. Keep up the great work!