RC poster

Question Throttle/trigger sensitivity

Greetings Got my first rustler yesterday, only drove her once last night and dying to go out right after work today

Super happy and respect to traxxas for going that step further beyond any other brand ive observed as a noob Really seems like the lamborgini of rc cars hah. now to see how much it lasts xD

if i may, only ONE thing im trying to sort, please.

With my previous transmitter/receiver combo on another china rc i am able to slightly pull the throttle trigger a few millimeters at a time and the car will very slowly crawl from stand still. With the rustler and the tqi im noticing the first cm or so of trigger is dead.. then the car suddenly jumps to a slow speed.. i am unable to get that smooth transition from stand still to gradual creeping off.

Is this a matter of settings pls from the tqi? and if so which pls? Or is it due to the different transmitter and/or receiver?

im new to this hobby and this is my second car after a cheaper china one (zd-racing thunder) which i used to learn on (and worked a lot on in the 5 months or so its been at me).. so excuse the noobness x

Thank you and good day!

aLaN

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the Traxxas family!

Since you have the TQi transmitter, you probably have the brushless VXL version. Sensorless brushless motor/ESC combos have something called cogging at startup. The ESC need to know the position of the rotor in order to send power to the correct phase. With sensorless system this is a "trial and error" at startup, so to speak. This leads to studder and a not very smooth startup.
    Your China vehicle probably has a brushed motor which is a lot smoother at startup. To avoid the cogging effect with a brushless system you'll need a sensored system.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    To avoid the cogging effect with a brushless system you'll need a sensored system.
    Does Traxxas offer a sensor-ed motor and ESC?

RC poster
    Perhaps i did not explain myself well. Thankyou for the explanation of cogging - but upon researching its not that which is my issue. She drives smooth at all times - what i want is the ability is to SLOWLY drive off from standstill. At the moment there seems to be a minimum speed at which the vehicle is allowed to go.. i press the trigger slowly one millimeter at a time till it engages then the car moves smoothly but at a set 'slow' speed...

The zd racing thunder is also brushless. She also did this same behaviour with her stock transmitter/receiver and esc - which i replaced in one go, then she came perfect - takes off slowly just like a real car... i can creep up on a rock with one wheel.

Thing is i replaced them together as an upgrade so i dont know if its the transmitter, or receiver, or esc that did the trick. or none of those and its settings.

Thankyou for your time and patience!

aLaN

I get what you are saying. You want it to creep rather than go from 0-5 mph at a fraction of the trigger pull. (The same thing happens in my Castle-equipped Slash.) You cannot program the Traxxas system other than the three modes as described in your manual.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    With the Traxxas TQi Link Wireless module (part# 6511), you can adjust forward throttle sensitivity (throttle exponential). Though I'm not sure if you can dial it down enough to "creep".

RC poster
    Thats it boss Ok, but those 3 modes arent just defining a range? one is full front back and reverse, other full back front no reverse, other half front etc for 'training'. Or was that a polite way of telling me to change summin xD Which i dont mind.. just not sure what/which - would like to learn what/why this is caused. Thankyou!

RC poster
    i messed with expo but again im unsure if its related. expo changes the 'curve' so to speak to make the servo arm move non-linear. i guess the only way it COULD be expo is if the graph started 'early' so to speak... at 5mph not zero as @Double G correctly stated. Hmmm...

RC poster
    forgetting to reply with quote, apologies. noob forum user ^^

RC Enthusiast
    Flip the lever to 70/30, that way you have a lot more throttle to work with.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    Flip the lever to 70/30, that way you have a lot more throttle to work with.
    Will try first thing in the morning as its past midnight here ^^ flat.. noise.. neighbours..

Thankyou! wonder if it affects...

RC poster
    If switching to the 70/30, make sure you change the esc setting to race so it will not go in reverse when you let the throttle back to home. I did not do this and my car went flying backwards in reverse.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mad555 View Post
    The zd racing thunder is also brushless. She also did this same behaviour with her stock transmitter/receiver and esc - which i replaced in one go, then she came perfect - takes off slowly just like a real car... i can creep up on a rock with one wheel.

Thing is i replaced them together as an upgrade so i dont know if its the transmitter, or receiver, or esc that did the trick. or none of those and its settings.
    Now I get it, too...

Quite typically RTR radios does not have the best trigger resolution. Why don't you try the upgraded radio system from your ZD Racing Thunder in the Rustler. That way you'll know if it is an ESC or TX/RX issue.

RC poster
    Hail all, and thanks for the input

Did the 70/30 + recalibration this morning, to no avail. It did what it was meant to, add more travel to the trigger on pull, but same issue.

Viking, thanks for your update The word 'trigger sensitivity' is what makes most sense to me so far.. as that could be exactly it. Thankyou for confirming rtr radios do lack in this regard.. perhaps its a transmitter issue then? May you perhaps confirm this? i ask because the agent made a fuss about voiding warranty, so im holding back.. but i know i will upgrade in due time. I'm just not sure which bits need upgrading to achieve this. From what you just said it might be transmitter/receiver only and its sorted. Hoping i wont need to change the ESC too...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mad555 View Post
    Viking, thanks for your update The word 'trigger sensitivity' is what makes most sense to me so far.. as that could be exactly it. Thankyou for confirming rtr radios do lack in this regard.. perhaps its a transmitter issue then? May you perhaps confirm this? i ask because the agent made a fuss about voiding warranty, so im holding back..
    You don't have to rip the TQi receiver out of the car (and possibly void the warranty?). Simply take the lid off the receiver box and unplug the ESC and servo from the RX and plug it into your other radio system RX. Zip-tie the new receiver to the battery brace and test drive it. It's not like you're going to bash it hard this way - it's just for testing to rule out ESC issues at startup.

Side note: When reconnecting the TQi receiver, remember that it has two channel one inputs for steering so that you don't plug the ESC into one of the steering ports.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-22-2019 at 05:09 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    You don't have to rip the TQi receiver out of the car (and possibly void the warranty?). Simply take the lid off the receiver box and unplug the ESC and servo from the RX and plug it into your other radio system RX. Zip-tie the new receiver to the battery brace and test drive it. It's not like you're going to bash it hard this way - it's just for testing to rule out ESC issues at startup.

Side note: When reconnecting the TQi receiver, remember that it has two channel one inputs for steering so that you don't plug the ESC into one of the steering ports.
    ure right.. im making a big deal of it. i only did it once so its all still new but as you rightly said.. its no biggie. will revert with results! x thankyou sir. (i even have an xtra rx!)

RC poster
    Crap. Sadly... just the same with new rx/tx. Then i guess its the ESC? Such a big badass looking esc is it possible??? The hobbywing one i got is half d size Oh man, little disappointed. i even reconnected it to the thunder to confirm it DOES crawl.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I must admit im slightly disappointed after spending so much on a traxxas and it seems im gonna need to replace most of the electronics after all. or maybe im getting it wrong.

RC Competitor
    Are you using the same batteries for both? Like both 3s or both 2s? I'm not familiar with your other vehicle, what's the top speed? And the kv of the motor? Similar to the rustler? I'm just thinking if the rustler is geared much higher, it's not going to act the same off the line. I have 2 trucks, both identical except one is 3100kv with 16t pinion, one 3900kv with a 20t, night and day difference on initial slow speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk