RC Competitor

Question Rustler 4x4 VXL - Recommended motor heat-sink

I'm looking for a compatible motor (not ESC) heat-sink for use in a Rustler 4x4 VXL that uses the Velineon 3500 Brushless. Any suggestions?

From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much room to mount one.

Using the CC Blower (single fan) on mine. Others doing the same.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Here is a thread about heat sinks for the vxl motor, some might not fit in the rustler: Thread
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    I personally like the integy double cooling fan + heatsink.

RC Competitor
    The single fan from Hot Racing looks to fit better, but I do like the dual fan as it covers the length of the motor. Yeah Racing also is dual as well.

What's the part# of the Integy you recommend?

Regardless of heatsink, I'll be using a graphite thermal pad to ensure proper surface to surface contact. The Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad is rated at 35W/m-k and is superior to most thermal grease on the market. There's no drying out and mess to cleanup. It should also provide enough thickness to hold in place too I think.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StDragon View Post
    The single fan from Hot Racing looks to fit better, but I do like the dual fan as it covers the length of the motor. Yeah Racing also is dual as well.

What's the part# of the Integy you recommend?

Regardless of heatsink, I'll be using a graphite thermal pad to ensure proper surface to surface contact. The Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad is rated at 35W/m-k and is superior to most thermal grease on the market. There's no drying out and mess to cleanup. It should also provide enough thickness to hold in place too I think.
    #t8534 is what i use.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Luke.

After much consideration, I decided to go with a passive heat-sink for now.

Many of the reviews online report that the Integy's have screws that back out that require the application of thread locker. In addition, it seems the fan covers are too close in that it's either obstructing or outright burning out the motor from a fan blade getting caught. The remedy there would appear to use washers to increase clearance between the fan and its top covers. But again, it's more of an expense.

For now, I opted to go with the "Apex RC Products Blue Aluminum Electric Motor Heat Sink for Cooling 540 / 550 Motors 8040" from Amazon ($7.49) along with a thermal pad. So long as it does that job of keeping the motor from being too-hot-to-touch down to a more manageable warm, I'm happy. In addition, I see it having the added benefit of being light weight, secure, passive, waterproof, and will not drain the battery.

If objectives in cooling arn't met, then I'll just have to suck it up and go with an active cooling solution; at which point I'll probably be looking at going with the Integy T8534.

I'll let you all know how it goes once installed.

RC Enthusiast
    Great choice that's what I run as well and it works great!

RC Competitor
    I just bought the Traxxas VXL fan and a Castle single fan shroud for the motor at Hobbytown.
    X-Maxx 8s / Slash 4x4 / Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Racer
    The integration fans work great,,you just have to space them up a bit,,,,works for me......

RC poster
    i have had really good luck with this set up, im running the 17t pinion without any over heating issue
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby-...72.m2749.l2649

RC poster
    Thanks Luke.

After much consideration, I decided to go with a passive heat-sink for now.

Many of the reviews online report that the Integy's have screws that back out that require the application of thread locker. In addition, it seems the fan covers are too close in that it's either obstructing or outright burning out the motor from a fan blade getting caught. The remedy there would appear to use washers to increase clearance between the fan and its top covers. But again, it's more of an expense.

For now, I opted to go with the "Apex RC Products Blue Aluminum Electric Motor Heat Sink for Cooling 540 / 550 Motors 8040" from Amazon ($7.49) along with a thermal pad. So long as it does that job of keeping the motor from being too-hot-to-touch down to a more manageable warm, I'm happy. In addition, I see it having the added benefit of being light weight, secure, passive, waterproof, and will not drain the battery.

If objectives in cooling arn't met, then I'll just have to suck it up and go with an active cooling solution; at which point I'll probably be looking at going with the Integy T8534.

I'll let you all know how it goes once installed.
    So how did you like the passive cooling?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndrix View Post
    So how did you like the passive cooling?
    So far so good. After some fast racing, I have yet to hit thermal throttle. So it's doing the job . For sure, touching the heat-sink right after some high speed runs is blistering hot! But at least that proves good thermal conductivity from the motor to the heat-sink.

If I get a chance, I'll want to borrow one of those infrared thermometer laser guns. Not sure I have the need to buy one yet.

RC Competitor
    A bit pricey IMHO, but Traxxas does have an aluminum motor mount for $40. The extra surface area of aluminum would also act as a kinda heat-sink. Again, you can get a real heat-sink for far less. But if your looking to drop a few degrees more beyond that, this would do it.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7460R

RC Racer
    u can get a thermal temp gun on prime for under $20. how can u rc wo one?

RC poster
    A bit pricey IMHO, but Traxxas does have an aluminum motor mount for $40. The extra surface area of aluminum would also act as a kinda heat-sink. Again, you can get a real heat-sink for far less. But if your looking to drop a few degrees more beyond that, this would do it.

I purchased a heat sink with the thermal pad and I am waiting for it to come in. I was running my vehicle the other day and touched the motor for 0.1 seconds and thought I burnt the crap out of my finger so I am looking for good cooling options. I didn't want to use a fan mount as I don't want to replace the fan regularly due to water/dust/debris.

I have a temp gun and have seen temperatures in the high 160s and mid 170s while not even driving it as hard as I usually do.

I am running 2s lipo 5800mah, I have drilled 8 smaller holes in the window of the body to let air through easier.

I thought about getting a motor plate and mount to help spread the heat. I found the Traxxas one and then found integy has one with the samll amount of heat sink fins built in
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7490
    https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...8#.XN8gz8hKiUk

I haven't been in this hobby in about 8-10 years and just got the rustler 4x4 vxl last week.

RC poster
    So I bought a heat sink from Amazon, it came with 2
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    After some modifications with my Dremel tool and rotating the motor in order to move the wires my motor is basically covered in a heat sink.

RC Racer
    I have that same heatsink, and another stainless one I got somewhere with 2 fans on it. I haven't tried to put them on yet cuz I didn't want to have to deal with rolling the motor 180. I might have to finally get around to that tomorrow I think.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndrix View Post
    After some modifications with my Dremel tool and rotating the motor in order to move the wires my motor is basically covered in a heat sink.
    Nice job! Yeah, you'll definitely get some good heat dispersal with that setup.

My only concern would any sharp edges that would pose a risk in slicing up the cables. It looks like you took the effort to bevel the edges a bit, but parts of it still look rather sharp around the edges. I would suggest rounding out all the edges around the cables as a precaution.