RC poster

New to Traxxas, looking for some advice.

Hello All,
    Im new to the forum, and new to Traxxas. Iíve always been a Tamiya guy, mainly because I enjoy building kits. When I saw the Stampede was released as I kit, I jumped on it.
    I was really into this stuff in the late 90ís Ė early 2000ís, so these brushless and Lipo setups are still new to me and Iím feeling a little lost.
    I reached out to Traxxas to ask what they recommend as a good brushless motor and ESC setup and of course they recommended the Velineon VXL-3s https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R
    Other posts I have read say this maybe damaging to a stock Stampede.
    What would you recommend for a fun fast basher, that wonít damage the drivetrain toooo quickly?
    Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.
    -Joe

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a Hobbywing SC8 esc and a GoolRC 3660 2600kv motor. Youíll want to look at better axles and Center shaft. Thereís also an aluminum slipper bushing that youíll want. The P4de is a tough truck out of the box with a few upgrades. My biggest issue with the truck was the 12mm wheel hexes. They come loose no matter what on brushless power. I upgraded to 17mm and have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JFRE5H View Post
    What would you recommend for a fun fast basher, that won’t damage the drivetrain toooo quickly?
    Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.
    -Joe
    If your not interested in the VXL setup which is an ideal choice, I'd say go
    with the Traxxas 12T motor and the XL5 esc.

RC Competitor
    The Velineon itself will not damage the drivetrain if you use 2S lipos and gear appropriate.
    But it's not the best combo for a heavy car like the stampede.

Using 3S lipo's can put much strain on the driveshafts (especially the rear) and might cause the velineon combo to overheat.

I use a Hobbywing EZrun combo: SCT Max 10 ESC with a 3200kv motor (3660 can - 5mm shaft).
    I really like it on 2S, enough torque and speed to put a smile on my face every time I run it.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice everyone, defiantly some good stuff to think about while I'm building.