RC Competitor

What grease to use

Hey everybody! So I am needing some more grease for the outside of Both my diffs. Does anyone have any grease recommendations? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I use marine grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    I use marine grease

Ok thanks! Is there a certain brand that you use?

RC Qualifier
    No not really I go to my local boat store and buy a small handheld tube but if you have a grease gun you could use that

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    No not really I go to my local boat store and buy a small handheld tube but if you have a grease gun you could use that

Awesome! And one more thing. How much grease do you put in? Just around the diff or do you fill the whole case?

RC Qualifier
    I fill the whole case in my vehicles but as long as the grease is covering the ring and pinion completely

It is not advisable to fill the diff case with grease. All you need to a generous film on both gears. I have used marine grease and imo it is a pita if you do regular maintenance because the stuff doesn't wash out since it is so resistance to water. I use a product from Lucas Oils called Red"N"Tacky which excessed any workload we expose our trucks to. Easily found at most big box stores and hardware stores.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    It is not advisable to fill the diff case with grease. All you need to a generous film on both gears. I have used marine grease and imo it is a pita if you do regular maintenance because the stuff doesn't wash out since it is so resistance to water. I use a product from Lucas Oils called Red"N"Tacky which excessed any workload we expose our trucks to. Easily found at most big box stores and hardware stores.

Awesome thanks! How often do you have to put more in more grease?

I re-grease once a month if using my truck often like 3-4 times a week.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I re-grease once a month if using my truck often like 3-4 times a week.
    Sweet! Thanks for the help!

RC poster
    Hello. Complete novice to RC and am about to commence a TRX4 kit. My first of what I expect to be many is concerning the quantity of grease to be applied to transmission and differentials. I have read the instruction manual and it just says ‘apply a drop of grease’. Reading through some of your responses to the same question by others there doesn’t appear to be a consistent answer, some say fill the thing up and other saying just coat the gears. Bit confusing as I said. The other point is that nobody was using the supplied grease from the kit. Would automotive wheel bearing grease be suitable? Sorry for long first post. From Western Australia by the way.

Most any grease is suitable for our very low requirements of the grease to perform within. The reason to use better grease is personal preference. A little grease goes a long way with plastic parts. On metal parts being generous with the grease is fine. You just don't want to be adding noticeable weight to the assembly with grease. You are also a lot more likely to see leaks with excessive grease. Adding extra grease doesn't delay when you should do maintenance. When manuals advise to use "a drop of grease" they mean use about a pea sized amount then work it across the entire contact surface then wipe away the extra and either waste it or rework it into contact surface.

On surfaces that are exposed to the outside environment and weather the thinner the film the better or it can collect excess dirt or debris.

RC Racer
    100% what he said^^^^^