RC Racer

Prevent bottoming out during jumps

So I've been taking my Slash 4x4 to the local skate park, and while it does some awesome jumps, I do hearing it bottoming out way too often for my comfort.

What should I be adjusting to help with this? Different shock oil? Firmer springs? Spring adjustment? All of the above?

RC Racer
    Could start by adding some preload spacers or maybe stretching the springs just a bit. Heavier shock oil would stiffen things up as well.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    hehe, following. My slash 4x4 is down for a rebuild/upgrade after my first time in the parks. I have been having better luck at the parks now since then with my 2wd vxl rustler (strc alum bulkhead and shock towers, trax metal axles, rpm arms, etc but even with some added pre-load it bottoms out hard on bigger shocks. I was thinking about trying to put some slash big bore or gtr shocks on it to try. I guess I could steal the slash shocks for a test or two since I got a lot of work left to do on that before it is road worthy again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    Could start by adding some preload spacers or maybe stretching the springs just a bit. Heavier shock oil would stiffen things up as well.
    I will try those suggestions. Thanks!

Something to keep in mind is also that bottoming out from high jumps is a planned part of the suspension system. The less it does it the more stress has to be handled by the suspension parts. Bottoming out might be hard to see happen but there is nearly zero damage from it as long as you can land correctly. So whatever you do to reduce bottoming out I would plan to beef up the suspension along with.

But I wouldn't stretching the springs or add preload since both will only affect ride height and do nothing to effect dampening.

In stead buy higher rate springs and higher weight shock oil. That will make the difference you are seeking.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info Zedora. Yeah, it seems to sound worse than it actually is (no broken parts)! I think new springs and shock oil will be my first mods to try.