RC Enthusiast

Poll: What's in your (Rustler 4x4 VXL) Diffs?

OK, well maybe not technically a poll, but I'm interested in what folks are putting in their front/rear differentials, and WHY. I know that some have gone to a center diff in place of their slipper clutch, but that is not a route that I'm intending to go, so don't want to muddy the waters too much by including that here (please).

According to other threads, these cars ship with 30k in the front, and "grease" in the rear.

If I'm going to dig into the car enough to clean/inspect the diffs, it seems reasonable to put silicone diff oil in both of 'em. So... lemmie know what you've got in your Rustler, and why.

Thanks! --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    Curious to see the reply's on this. Probably wouldn't hurt for me to pull my diffs out for a cleaning.

RC Competitor
    When I get around to cleaning mine, I'll just reference and use whatever is stock. I really don't see a need or desire to change it up. It's a differential, it needs oil, and I'm assuming the choice Traxxas made is well balanced, yes?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by StDragon View Post
    I'm assuming the choice Traxxas made is well balanced, yes?
    Everything on a Traxxas is like any mass produced product, made to meet reasonable expectation of as many buyers as possible at that specific price point. It probably costs a few cents less to have grease in the rear, and the difference between grease and thin oil is small enough for the majority of buyers that it’s not a problem as long as it keeps the diff from seizing up and still maintain function.

The stock set up is okay but once you run it on grass or slippery situations like mud or something, you will see how fast one of the rear tires starts to slip while power is applied. That obviously won’t be a problem for most people who buy it to run on say pavement or hard pack dirt, and Traxxas publishes all those tech help videos so we can adjust as needed.

RC Enthusiast
    StDragon:
    I don't know of any deficiencies in the stock set-up of the diffs, but by the same token, I don't have much experience (having had RC cars for all of 4 months now); what the heck do I know?
    I heard (of all places, in a discussion about motorcycle suspension*) an old axiom that seems appropriate here: "The best you've had, is the best you know." Once you've experienced better, then *that* is (now) the best that you know. Imagine, if you'd only ever experienced a cheeseburger as the things that McDonald's sells on their Dollar Menu. Not exactly gourmet, and you'd be forgiven for not being impressed too much, but hey, as far as you know, that is the limit of what a cheeseburger is. Then you get a burger made by a well-trained chef at a high-end restaurant in Texas (fresh, local Beef and all that)... The world of (burger) possibilities has expanded one thousand fold, for you. Does that mean that a McD's burger is something that you'll never consume again? Heck No, but now you understand that it's possible to do better than McD's does, and if you choose to spend the time/money/effort, you can have that 'better' for yourself when you want.

Honestly, I started this thread, mostly because I wanted to see if there was a 'consensus' choice for the rear differential. The idea of putting "grease" (no weight, no viscosity, not even a PN specified as near as I could tell) in the rear diff seemed odd to me given that the front is specified with a specific weight of silicone differential oil (30,000). If I'm going to take the car apart far enough to clean the diffs out, it made sense to me to put a specific differential oil in the rear, not just "any old grease". The manual mentions tuning with rear diff fluid, but does not expound on the subject.

Checkout pages 29 & 30 of the owner's manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

I am pretty sure that there are folks on this forum that have experience, and an opinion. I'd love to hear those opinions, and the experiences that helped to shape them.

* Not that any one cares, but after 25 years on motorbikes, my first place to consider an 'upgrade' is the tires, with a very close second being the suspension It can make such a huge difference in confidence and comfort that I don't understand how some folks justify to themselves chasing "more power" while bouncing along on the stock suspension bits. That said, there really are different stokes for different folks.

--BillJ

RC Racer
    So on what surface do you anticipate running your rig most frequently? That would help narrow it down.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post

Honestly, I started this thread, mostly because I wanted to see if there was a 'consensus' choice for the rear differential. The idea of putting "grease" (no weight, no viscosity, not even a PN specified as near as I could tell) in the rear diff seemed odd to me given that the front is specified with a specific weight of silicone differential oil (30,000). If I'm going to take the car apart far enough to clean the diffs out, it made sense to me to put a specific differential oil in the rear, not just "any old grease". The manual mentions tuning with rear diff fluid, but does not expound on the subject.

Checkout pages 29 & 30 of the owner's manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

--BillJ
    Per the parts list for the Rustler 4x4 VXL, the only "grease" listed for diffs is the "Traxxas 1647 Silicone Grease". There's also "5136X Differential oil kit (1 each: 10K, 30K, 50K weights)"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    So on what surface do you anticipate running your rig most frequently? That would help narrow it down.
    The boy and I tend to take the Rustlers to a number of places with different surfaces:
    Out in the yard with some spill-over into the driveway and the street (so grass and pavement)
    The local park which is a mix of grass, packed dirt, and even some gravel pathways.
    The local skate/BMX park that has concrete and wood sections, as well as a packed dirt bike course.
    During the winter we took them out on the snow and (mostly) plowed parking lots.

So yea... kind of a little bit of everything (with the exception of dedicated RC tracks/parks/courses - No Carpet :-) ).

RC Enthusiast
    Per the parts list for the Rustler 4x4 VXL, the only "grease" listed for diffs is the "Traxxas 1647 Silicone Grease". There's also "5136X Differential oil kit (1 each: 10K, 30K, 50K weights)"
    Thanks for correcting me, StDragon. I should have known to look at the parts list. So at least we have a PN to be able to replicate the way that Traxxas shipped the Rustler 4x4.
    I'd really love to know the actual logic that Traxxas used when they spec'ed grease for the rear diff. I'm inclined to believe TwoBeluga's statement regarding cost, although it's unlikely that a statement like that would make it past the PR folks at Traxxas. :-)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    I'd really love to know the actual logic that Traxxas used when they spec'ed grease for the rear diff.
    I'm assuming the silicone grease is not just for the ring-gear in the rear, but also the spider gears in the diff itself. But I agree, relative to normal differential oil used on the front, what's its relative viscosity? 10k, 30k...etc?? Hopefully someone at Traxxas can respond with an authoritative answer on the matter.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm assuming the silicone grease is not just for the ring-gear in the rear, but also the spider gears in the diff itself. But I agree, relative to normal differential oil used on the front, what's its relative viscosity? 10k, 30k...etc?? Hopefully someone at Traxxas can respond with an authoritative answer on the matter.
    While I'd love to be proven wrong, it does not seem as if the folks at Traxxas Central are in the habit of responding to nitty-gritty queries from (us) The Great Unwashed via this forum. They were great to me the one time that I called their support line, but on here? it's been mostly radio (internet?)-silence.

There is always the direct action approach: driving over to McKinney, knocking on their door @ Traxxas Central, and inquire about the contents of the Rustler 4x4 rear diff (Yes, I do realize that TX is the second largest State in the Union, and the likelihood is low that you would a- want to be bothered, and b- could do so without 12 hours of driving round-trip, are kinda slim).

I'm hopeful that the forum-folks that have been bashing various RC cars for the last decade plus are going to weight in on the subject (fingers crossed :-) ) --BillJ

The forum is for us to share our experiences. Not for Customer Support; hence their 1-888 number.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ommunity-goals
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Do we know yet? Lol

RC Enthusiast
    Yea...

So, all of Rustler 4x4 Forum-land: The question still stands:

What's in your differentials, and why?

I'll start:
    Assuming that the Traxxas documentation is accurate, my Rustler 4x4 has 30k diff-oil in the front, and silicone 'grease' in the rear.
    Why? Cuz that's how it shipped, and I've not bothered to crack 'em open, yet. Even if I had, I don't have enough experience with RCs to know that I should be putting in there to allow the Rustler 4x4 to be the best all-surface basher that it can be. :-)

RC Competitor
    On road and groomed dirt tracks a light fluid in the diffs is good for smoother turning. For gnarly terrain, heavy diff fluid will give better traction. For all-around bashing ran 100k front and rear in my stampede 4x4 (same diffs) for a few years and it was excellent for plowing through mud, tall grass, and crossing difficult terrain. With 100k, I had good power to all 4 wheels and still had some limited slip and decent turning radius for road bashing. I've since converted my stampede into a rustler and am running it at the track with the 100k still in the diffs. When it comes time to change the fluid, I might put 50k front and 40k rear for better handling on the track. If I was only bashing, I would stay with 100k.