Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Rustler Street Build

Picked up a used Rustler roller on ebay. Came with tx/rx with TSM, servo, GRP T01s, a wheelie bar and some red turnbuckles. I have a Hobbywing 3652sl motor to go in and ordered a Max 10 SCT esc. Hoping this will scratch the itch for a bit of street speed.

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Went a little crazy today and bought "a couple parts" I am aware the car will be heavier but most of the added weight will be up front and since I don't plan on jumping it I am hoping the added weight will help keep it on the ground. Gearing is still up in the air. Hopefully the motor stays fairly cool on 3s and if not I can step up to something bigger in the future and try 4s?

Parts list for the build:
    Hobbywing 3652 SL G2 4000KV Motor
    Hobbywing Max 10 SCT ESC
    STRC Red Shock Towers F/R
    STRC Red Front Bulkhead
    STRC Red Hinge Pin Brace
    STRC Silver A-Arms F/R
    STRC Red Caster Blocks
    STRC Red Front Knuckles
    STRC Red Rear Hub Carriers
    STRC Red Shock Caps
    STRC Red Battery Strap
    Traxxas Battery Expansion Kit
    Traxxas VXL Screw Kit
    Traxxas Red Camber and Toe Links
    GRP T-01 Tires and Wheels
    Atomic 17mm Adapters
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Very cool car, she's going to be a ripper!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danner View Post
    Very cool car, she's going to be a ripper!
    If nothing else, it will look cool. Might dye the chassis black and get myself a new body but I've already spend double what I planned on lol
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Seems pretty cool!

How many projects do you have going on right now? You certainly have a lot of threads!

RC Racer
    I can’t not have my hands busy lol. New baby means I have to stay close to home and my 2 girls get a kick out of the RCs. I have a slash 4x4 and a rustler vxl. This will be project 3. It works out well considering I seem to break one every time I run them. Backups are key.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC poster
    The hobbywing esc is a great badger esc but if your doing speed runs you will have to do castle. I learned the hard way that when a hobby wing draws its max amperage it shuts down power till you let off the throttle. I have a max 8,6,and a 5 and they all did the exact same thing.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted404 View Post
    The hobbywing esc is a great badger esc but if your doing speed runs you will have to do castle. I learned the hard way that when a hobby wing draws its max amperage it shuts down power till you let off the throttle. I have a max 8,6,and a 5 and they all did the exact same thing.
    If that ends up being the case I will probably swap the esc and motor with my slash 4x4. I have a hobbystar 1/8 scale 2650 and 150a esc. It pushes the slash around like nothing and honestly might be a bit more power than I need for bashing around. I'm also not planning on going crazy with speed. I just figured this would be a fun car to run around the warehouse parking lot down the street.
    Last edited by Trojan366; 05-23-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Scored a brand new red Bandit VXL body and wing on ebay. I think it will look cool with all of the aluminum parts exposed. My only issue is that all the aluminum parts will be exposed when it rolls over and goes skidding down the asphalt lol
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    No, you don't want to do that, it definitely wouldn't be too good for them!

RC Racer
    Don't worry, those STRC red rear shock towers will get beat up good after a few hi speed slides. With no plastic body mounts it eats your body shell thru quick. I took mine off when I busted one of the bottom mounting plate screws and put the stock one back on for now so I could use my new shell I painted. I was able to repair my STRC tower so it will probably go back on once I get the new shocks, shorter shafts, and up-travel limiters to slam this to the ground.

edit: I just looked at your pics again. I think I am off to the LHS today to grab a set of those GRP wheels, or maybe the XO-1 wheels. Does the rustler need wheel adapters to mount them?
    Last edited by fozzy71; 05-25-2019 at 07:37 AM.

RC Racer
    The GRPs need 17mm adapters.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    I went with natural colored aluminum shock towers so the scratches wouldn't show up as clearly. At least that was my reasoning.

RC Racer
    Stopped at the LHS and picked up a new receiver box, antenna tube, Traxxas aluminum bell cranks and some 2 side tape. Spent about 2 seconds test fitting things and realized the 3652 motor has 3.5mm connectors and the max 10 sct esc has 4mm female ends. I am going to keep the 3652sl 4000kv as a spare for my other rustler vxl and ordered a 3660sl 3200kv motor. I am hoping this combo with spin 22/50 gearing. Waiting for parts is the worst!!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Know exactly what you mean! Sounds like you have a great project. Look forward to hearing about it!

RC Racer
    I wish I would have thought to put an alum bellcrank in mine when I put the strc alum bulkhead and shock towers, rpm arms, etc on. I added one to my LHS's website cart, and might have to grab one this week when I return those nitro half shafts they gave me, for the next time I am fixing something up front.

RC Racer
    This started as an XL-5 so it had the bushings and washers on the bellcrank. I figured I might as well while it is all apart. At this point I am wishing I just started with a chassis and built it from there. By the time I am done I will have 90% of the parts to build another roller.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    haha yeah. I was thinking about buying a roller for a build but I already have a slash lcg chassis (was going to move the rustler bits over to it) and most of the stock bits on a a roller would get replaced so I think I am just going to start from scratch on a new build instead of moving my rustler vxl over to a slash lcg.

RC Racer
    Installed the bell crank assembly last night along with the receiver and box. While I was fiddling around I decided to order an FLM trans case and a Swami wheelie bar. I wasn't going to buy them but figured at this point the stock trans would look out of place and the wheelie bar will simplify the rear end a bit. Hopefully I have the suspension parts by this weekend so I can get the front end done. Waiting sucks.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Put a single screw in the bulkhead to get an idea how this thing will sit with the bandit body. Also brainstorming how to mount the bandit wing but don't have the STRC shock tower yet. I am a big fan of the look but realized this leaves me no room for weights. I might have to get myself a J Concepts silverado body but we shall see. In the mean time still waiting on parts. Also, dyed the chassis black.

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Got the majority of the front end together tonight. Still waiting on a set of VG racing black springs but otherwise I am in good shape. There is a bit more play than I was hoping for. Seems like the tolerances are decent but everything aluminum means there is a bit of wiggle room on each part. Not bad but not as tight as I had hoped. Hopefully the trans and motor are in by the beginning of next week and I can get the rear end finished.

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Wow, talk about bling, she looks fantastic!

RC Racer
    Managed to get the car pretty much buttoned up tonight. I even was able to bind the transmitter to the receiver and drive it around the basement a bit. I quickly realized the steering was reversed so I will have to get that figured out but it is late. So many small parts. My fingers and eyes are killing me but I am pumped! Have to play around with camber and toe but otherwise its pretty darn close to being done!

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good!! May I ask a question, why don’t you get a new receiver, the. You could get rid of the trucker antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have the same receiver on my other Rusty and the antenna tube is short so it doesn't stick out of the body. The bandit and rustler xl-5 bodies I have for this both have holes so I figured having the full length of the antenna up out of the body might help with range. I was also thinking I might heat it and bend the tube back so it tucks under the body. I guess the big thing is that I like the simplicity of the stock rx/tx.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    I have also been looking at bumper options. Obviously the further forward you can get the weight, the less weight you will need. Lipo lock seems to make a nice 10 or so ounce weighted bumper. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than lead on the chassis?

Also. I am going to try this 22/50 gearing but I have a feeling I might need taller gears. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind sticking with this 50t spur if a 27 or 31t pinion would fit?
    Last edited by Trojan366; 06-04-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    I have also been looking at bumper options. Obviously the further forward you can get the weight, the less weight you will need. Lipo lock seems to make a nice 10 or so ounce weighted bumper. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than lead on the chassis?

Also. I am going to try this 22/50 gearing but I have a feeling I might need taller gears. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind sticking with this 50t spur if a 27 or 31t pinion would fit?
    Saga racing has one that goes from 1/2 lb to 1.5 lbs.

RC Racer
    I saw the saga bumpers but the lipo lock just seems like a much cleaner looking setup. I'm not looking to run crazy speeds. I think the 10oz should work for me. At this point I will probably be too scared to drive it and crash so it will just become a show piece haha
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I too would prefer not to wreck.

RC Racer
    Looks like she's coming along nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    At this point I will probably be too scared to drive it and crash so it will just become a show piece haha
    Just crashed mine the other day. Grass catcher caught something on the road and pole vaulted the car quite dramatically, road rash on the rear shock towers. Just installed an RPM bumper mount for the Traxxas wheelie bar, much better now. But other than that, since I've lowered it, I haven't flipped it. Seems to slide rather than flip.

RC Racer
    I have a custom Swami bar coming. I had him add some extra length so that the car won't wheelie as high. I am hoping that the low ride height, TSM, wheelie bar, weighted bumper and GRPs will keep it planted. I guess it is all speculation until I hold the trigger down the street.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Spent some time tinkering tonight. Got the body mounts on and LOW, 27t pinion installed, battery hold down adjusted, and front and rear camber dialed in right around 0 to -.5*. The ride height is low and the body sits way down on the chassis which brings me to my next project. JConcepts 2012 Chevy Silverado body. It may not be the most aerodynamic body but it will look sick. I can always run either of my stock VXL bodies if I have an issue. At this point the bandit body probably won't spend any time on the car since the side mounted esc is causing some fitment issues.

I was able to get out in the driveway(in the pitch black) and go back and forth a few times. This thing rips. It just smokes the tires at anything over half throttle. I can't wait for the Lipo Lock bumper and Swami Bar to show up so I can get some higher speed testing done without worrying so much about a blowover.

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    That looks sharp!

RC Racer
    Custom length laid back Swami Bar looks mean!

Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Made a quick test run at work. Probably 75 degrees out and the sun is shining so the asphalt was warm. Definitely going to need more space. I can get it rolling pretty good but can;t get wide open without spinning. Probably got up around 50mph and still burns the tires off. So far the nose stays down even without weights but that will probably become an issue with higher speeds and more space.

The servo seems to be junk. I reset the transmitter then set endpoints and it still steers way too far right and barely at all to the left. Took off the servo saver and that didn't work either. Power HD 20kg servo should be here tomorrow and maybe I can find some open road to test more. Traction isn't there but it is very stable so far and overall it seems to work great!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Took it out down the street across from my house and almost managed to get it wide open. So hard to judge speed on these little things but I would be very surprised if it wasn’t doing 65+ and I wouldn’t be shocked if it was running closer to 80. Around top end the rear end started to shimmy a bit. Going to try running with a body with a wing to see if it settles things down. Time to strap a gps to her.

Edit. Just dawned on me that I had tsm on and a really slow stock xl5 Servo that doesn’t work all that well. Could very well have been my problem.
    Last edited by Trojan366; 06-07-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Very nice!!!! 60 and up are where the lifting issues always arise for me——somewhere between 1-1.5lbs seems to be the weight ticket

I pulled 70 on mine today with very similar motor—-these little trucks are an absolute blast!!!

Garmin Forerunner GPS is a perfect servo tape attachment to the upper chassis (I’ve had my Rustler blow over at high speed several times and GPS hasn’t moved)

RC Racer
    I have a big huge Garmin rino that I take with me on my snowmobile and rzr. Going to see if that will fit under the body but it wasn’t cheap so I’d have to be confident it’s secure. Also have a couple old car gps screens that will run on battery power. Should be able to figure something out tomorrow. Also got the Lipo lock bumper on. Should help with blowovers. Congrats on 70!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer
    Sorry for the post overload but this build has been a ton of fun. Ran it at work this morning trying a couple of GPS apps that I just downloaded. I had one open and realized it didn't save top speeds. I opened the next app and it showed 77mph. I had only walked and had the phone on the car. I wanted to confirm so I started another trip and unfortunately the app cleared the first trip! Next time out it only read 48mph which I know is too slow. Anyone have suggestions for an iphone speed app that refreshes fast enough to catch these things?

Gearing calculator puts this setup around 76mph and I did have it held wide open for a couple of seconds so 77mph doesn't seem too crazy does it?

I turned my TSM down along with the front bumper and wing. I'm not sure which one helped the most but the car is stable flat out.

New bumper and "custom" wing made out of some packaging material and gorilla glued to the body lol
    Last edited by Trojan366; 06-08-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Racer

Rustler Street Build

Thanks man!

I went through a few apps trying to find the best one, and eventually destroyed an iPhone in a flip haha

Front bumper looks great—I have 2—they work great either direction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast