RC poster

E-Maxx *Novak HV-Maxx Issues*

Hello all! This is my first time on the Traxxas forum, and I have come seeking help from some of the OG's and was stoked to see this E-Maxx specific area of the forum. Some insight to the situation; When I was younger I stupidly sold basically all of my RC stuff, luckily, my dad never got rid of his E-Maxx... The truck has most recently been ran maybe 3 years ago, and was primarily ran maybe 8-12 years ago, that said we are down to one pair of 6 cell batteries that can probably only take enough juice to work servos and a few minutes of throttle. But, from what I can remember everything worked great. Now, this leads me into the actual issue.

The truck powers up and the steering servo and gear selector servo work great, the ESC gets power, but, the motor seems to be getting nothing. The motor spins smoothly and quietly by hand, etc. The ESC also does not show any of the error lights per the Novak manual. I performed any calibration I could for the ESC via Novak's manual. Note; I did take the truck to the hobby shop initially and this is where the issues were originally discovered, whilst using batteries that we voltage checked before use. As mentioned, I know my batteries at home are pretty cooked, but, I feel like they would have enough juice to get me something.

I am at a bit of a loss for trouble shooting since Novak has shut down and its hard to find much online so all I am working with is the original Novak manual. If anyone here may have any insight as to what may be going on, or how I may troubleshoot further, please, let me know!

Thank you to anyone reading this!
    Ryan

From what you are saying. Your first trouble shooting step would be to (buy/borrow) a (new/known good) set of batteries. If you don't want to do that then you sould at least try your present batteries in another similar RC vehicle. Your first step needs to be verifying (for sure, not guessing) your batteries.

Once you have confirmed your batteries are good, your next step would be to borrow another similar ESC, and try it with your (now) confirmed good batteries. Your last step would be to borrow another similar motor, and try it with your confirmed good ESC and batteries.

Which ever step gets your truck working (batteries, ESC or motor), I would then (one by one in reverse) put back my original components until your truck fails to work again. This will 100% confirm your problem.

For example: If swopping out your motor (the third step) gets your truck working, I would go next to your original ESC, and then your original batteries. If you don't have test equipment, then "Substitution Trouble Shooting" is the only other way for you to find out (for sure) which of your components is faulty.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-24-2019 at 04:13 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Reglarguy. You need new batteries. The ESC is more than likely not seeing the voltage it needs to see to operate the motor. The little voltage you have is probably enough operate the steering and other servos just fine. It's probably getting some type of LVC error within the ESC due to the batteries being bad. Get some new batteries.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by laajmalek View Post
    I agree with Reglarguy. You need new batteries. The ESC is more than likely not seeing the voltage it needs to see to operate the motor. The little voltage you have is probably enough operate the steering and other servos just fine. It's probably getting some type of LVC error within the ESC due to the batteries being bad. Get some new batteries.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    By 'One Pair of 6 Cell' batteries I presume he is talking about NIMH's not Lipo's so wouldn't be LVC, Im pretty sure the Novak system doesn't have LVC, although its been years since I had mine (probably around the same time as OP), and I ran it on 14cell nimh's

Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    By 'One Pair of 6 Cell' batteries I presume he is talking about NIMH's not Lipo's so wouldn't be LVC, Im pretty sure the Novak system doesn't have LVC, although its been years since I had mine (probably around the same time as OP), and I ran it on 14cell nimh's
    I'm sure you're presuming right. Usually, when people say "cell," they're talking about non Lip batteries. I'm like you. I use to run my Emaxx (when I first got it) on two 7 cell straight-backs, but a Emaxx can run on two 6 cell batteries. It wouldn't be much fun, though.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Thank you for all of the responses! Sorry, haven’t had much time to respond or think about the RC! But, I currently have just a Pair of 6 cell packs. I did get the chance at the hobby store to use known-good batteries, and got the same results. (However I absolutely will need batteries) That being said, I believe you’re right in the lack of a LVC for this system. IIRC I wanted to run LiPo years ago in it (had a VXL rustler that I used them on) but was scared off by the lack of an LCV. As far as testing other parts, I’m pretty limited as all we have anymore is the original esc and titan motors �� I was hoping I could maybe use a voltmeter and see a change in wiring to motor or something along those lines.
    Once we get the new puppy settled in and I have the time, I’ll follow the advise y’all have given me plus trying the voltmeter. Most likely going to bite the bullet on a pair of packs and mark that as commitment to get the hobby going again for summer. Thanks again you all and I will report back after a few days or so!