Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

I have a deal on the table

Hi guys. I've been quite intrigued by the xmaxx since it came out.

I have a friend who bought a first gen new. So it doesn't have any of the updated stuff.

As it sits it functions fine, all the electronics, etc. But he says "when he tries to drive you can hear the gear spinning but it's not moving". I'm thinking that at just be a spur. Lol. I figure a spur or a diff are bad. No biggie to me.

For the truck as it sits, 2 5000 venom 3s batteries, and a venom 6 amp charger he wants $400.

What I'm not sure about is what's needed to make the first gen good to go. I know there is the power up kit, but geeze that's high. Are there other options to upgrade diffs and such from the aftermarket?

I may try to keep it geared appropriately with the original ESC (and make sure it has the fusible link) and upgrade the ESC to one that's up to snuff later.

I haven't kept up with the x xmaxx much, I just want to know what all I'm in for NEEDING to upgrade, to decide whether this is really the deal I want it to be. It's in good used shape, body is beat but that's of no consequence to me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

you should definitely get it. that's a great deal. the only problem is that the X-Maxx almost makes you forget about all your other r/c's. i don't know how to explain it, but it is just different from all my other trucks. almost everything else has been shelved since i got the X. i have a v1 and i beat the tar out of it, check out my YT channel to see the kind of fun i have with it.

as far as what you NEED to upgrade; get those v1 diff ring and pinions out and either put the v2 or the traxxas spiral cut diff gears in it. i run the spiral cuts.

then the vxl-6s ESC...make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy when you run it. i had the fusible link on mine and simply rolling along at 3mph it decided to burst into flames. i run the max6 and no fire yet.

and the last thing you need is a big ramp trust me.

rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

I've only been in the X-maxx club for a couple months, & from what I've seen, you don't really need to upgrade anything, as far as gears/ diffs & such, if you're sticking with a 6s setup. The most common issue is the stock esc. As Rizz0d said, they've been known to fry, or even catch fire... Most guys just upgrade to a Max6 & never look back.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Racer
    I bought the first 6s x-maxx after thinking the 30mph speed would be to slow for me.It was and i sold it.I think by the time you get the power up kit for it installed in the $400 x-maxx you'd would like a new 8s ''out of the box''better.Unless you buy the bigger motor that traxxas puts in the 8s x-maxx you wont have the true beast of a 8s and might burn up the smaller motor very fast.

Is the ESC inherently problematic? Or is it just a pony that was sent to do a horse's job? As in, would it be good to go in a 1/10 or 1/8 scale application? Perhaps if so I can sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Is the ESC inherently problematic? Or is it just a pony that was sent to do a horse's job? As in, would it be good to go in a 1/10 or 1/8 scale application? Perhaps if so I can sell it.

Traxxas still has an active recall on the VXL-6 esc's. You can type in the serial # to see if yours is in the recall category.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus001 View Post
    Traxxas still has an active recall on the VXL-6 esc's. You can type in the serial # to see if yours is in the recall category.
    the recall is to add the fusible link and update the firmware. it was handled totally different than the E-Maxx ESC recall.

not sure. the fires seem to happen at random. mine ran flawless for over a year then one day i was just a couple minutes into a run, doing about 3mph when it went up. i'd sell it if i were you, might save your house one day lol.

don't let the ESC discourage you though. the truck really is amazing.

Surely it can't to up in flames when not energized? Lol. Nothing is ever plugged in in the house.

I really thought it was just the same ESC that is in the e-maxx.

Trouble is it's gonna be quite the pricy ESC to take its place properly.

RC Qualifier
    Buy the Xmaxx
    Old Xmaxx's Never Die
    Most likely the reason he stopped running it is, just the pinion set screw has come loose

get it -tighten it > test - if nothing else wrong - charge it , and just have FUN

Then decide if you will ever get rid of it

you can sell the 6s esc and buy a 8s esc for $20+ difference on ebay
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 06-02-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    fabricator

No I'm not afraid of the issue it has now. I'll fix that and keep rolling. I'm just curious of what it will take to make it robust over time. From his description I'd bet anything it's a spur gear. He doesn't care for working on them. He hasn't even opened it up.

If I sell the 6s ESC it'll be in here or in Craigslist.

Anybody want it? Haha

RC Qualifier
    Buy it! Forever I was trying to customize other trucks and make them bigger and better....Then the X-Maxx came. Job Done.

RC Qualifier
    My turn!!

BUY IT NOW!!
    Spinning without, erm, spinning?
    Check the set / grub screw in the pinion on the motor.

Not that? Try the slipper - the nut can work loose. Replace with a new nylok nut - you can get hundreds of varying sizes for peanuts - always needed sometime when working on RC trucks!!

Al.

Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    My turn!!

BUY IT NOW!!
    Spinning without, erm, spinning?
    Check the set / grub screw in the pinion on the motor.

Not that? Try the slipper - the nut can work loose. Replace with a new nylok nut - you can get hundreds of varying sizes for peanuts - always needed sometime when working on RC trucks!!

Al.
    I haven't posted here much in a while, but I do know the process for finding and fixing this issue. Haha

Thanks though.

Like I said, the current issue doesn't scare me a bit. Just par for the course.

At 400 if I have to buy an ESC and the rest of it holds up I'm all in for around 600, I guess that isn't too shabby.

I'd prefer castle, as that's what I run in everything else and the field card is always in the parts box.

Can just the ESC be "powered up"?

RC Qualifier
    As in , installing batteries and turning it on ?
    or installing updates to the 6s esc
    the 6s is what it is
    use it, if that is what you have
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    the only problem is that the X-Maxx almost makes you forget about all your other r/c's.
    Agreed. My Xmaxx is my favorite truck. I upgraded my Slash to a castle 2650 to try to and bring more fun out of it after I got the Xmaxx and it's still not the same lol.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    As in , installing batteries and turning it on ?
    or installing updates to the 6s esc
    the 6s is what it is
    use it, if that is what you have
    As in, traxxas power up program. Trade it, and some money, for the updated ESC.

And, use it just because I have it? Not if it's being overworked and not up to the task. I'd prefer to send it on so someone could apply it where it can be of benefit.

Deal or not, I don't want it to go up in flames!

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-02-2017 at 06:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    Agreed. My Xmaxx is my favorite truck. I upgraded my Slash to a castle 2650 to try to and bring more fun out of it after I got the Xmaxx and it's still not the same lol.
    I second this, I wanted to race short course so I Built a rally into a slash ultimate all I needed is ti buy the 3800kv sensored with the mamba x and it was ready to race......... Than I got the xmaxx.. and it's been sitting since . My son runs his slash 4x4 and he's excited that I now let him run my stampede 4x4 untill I geared it up and ran it on 3s till the esc blew a gasket just so I had a reason to drop a 1/8th scale set up in it. But if it wasn't for him they would not be touched at all in the last 3 months. The xmaxx just plows over everything in the woods it glides over rough terrain where as the slash and stampede bounce a lot and get cought up on stuff. I really want to get a second one so when one is down I can still go out and have fun. O and I have a rc8.2e that is collecting dust as well I'm going to sell that.

Everything has been like this with exception of the top slash for months
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

I doubt my slashes will go untouched. I'm not sure a 20 lb truck cam take some of the jumps and poor landings I do. I'm talking about sailing way over my head as I watch from below. Lol

And there is something to be said about only needing one 2 or 3s battery pack, or getting double the run time off two or 4 packs. I'll also be adding a trx4 to the stable. I don't think the xmaxx looks complicated but trail repairs are super quick with the slash.

Dumb question. Has anyone successfully run a mamba monster x with an external bec? I have one sitting in the parts bin.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-02-2017 at 07:03 PM.

...I'm talking about sailing way over my head as I watch from below...
    I'll do you one better, how about sailing way over my head as I'm standing in the bed of my 1:1 truck?

apparently you've not seen my Big Air Bonanza videos

Here's my 100 big jumps video...

I don't think you understand my landings. Haha

I think I could run the mamba monster x and pull a few data logs. Look at the amp/temps and fine tune my gearing for a safe setup until I could swing an 8s setup.

Maybe a max6 or an xlx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    I second this, I wanted to race short course so I Built a rally into a slash ultimate all I needed is ti buy the 3800kv sensored with the mamba x and it was ready to race......... Than I got the xmaxx.. and it's been sitting since . My son runs his slash 4x4 and he's excited that I now let him run my stampede 4x4 untill I geared it up and ran it on 3s till the esc blew a gasket just so I had a reason to drop a 1/8th scale set up in it. But if it wasn't for him they would not be touched at all in the last 3 months. The xmaxx just plows over everything in the woods it glides over rough terrain where as the slash and stampede bounce a lot and get cought up on stuff. I really want to get a second one so when one is down I can still go out and have fun. O and I have a rc8.2e that is collecting dust as well I'm going to sell that.

Everything has been like this with exception of the top slash for months
    Here are my post Xmaxx dust collectors. I'm thinking about selling them all with maybe the exception of the Slash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Well I just bit the bullet on a 2028 setup so I might have my VXL-8s and 1275kv motor for sale when my new motor comes back from traxxas. It will be a brand new motor never run.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtHafner View Post
    Well I just bit the bullet on a 2028 setup so I might have my VXL-8s and 1275kv motor for sale when my new motor comes back from traxxas. It will be a brand new motor never run.
    I'll be watching.

RC Competitor
    I'll be watching.

No need to watch for it. Your not that far from me. I'm in Columbia SC. You me and tallj2000 are only about a total of an hour or so apart from each other. I'd love to get our Xmaxxes together. I'd even bring out my 80+ MPH slash 4X4 6s basher out.

Ha. I have an xo1 converted to a sct I need to finish fine tuning that could run with you.

Unless the price is one I can't pass up, I really just want to get an esc for now.

There is a great off-road track in Rock Hill, SC.

Also, so everyone can be relieved. I'm definitely going to take the x maxx. It'll be a few weeks but he's gonna wait on me. I will eventually upgrade to the new x maxx specs, but probably along the way and as things break.

RC Qualifier
    Is the off road track at Hobby Stop Inc?

Kurt we definitely need to meet up. I would love to see a 80 mph slash.

Yes sir. I've only ever gone during the week. Real drivers would be with me there. Lol.

I call it bashing on a track. I'm lucky to make a lap without having to run down.

It's been a while since I was there, but they had a crawler course and an on road oval. The course is a short course track. Well stocked hobby shop too.

Last edited by Double G; 06-09-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: language

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking about trying to do a 1717 Slash basher hahahahahaha.

RC Competitor
    Or if I don't sell this motor esc combo why not try and dab a mount to take it.

RC Qualifier
    I have been to that shop. Great bunch of guys. Have never been on their track though. I don't race and don't wanna get in the way of those that do lol. Plus I can only make it down there on the weekends. Will have to make it down on day to try this track bashing you speak of lol

Haha. It's great fun. I find trying to navigate a track to be a whole different experience than just bashing. I've never actually raced. The closest I've been to that is making laps with a friend of mine.

A little rusty here and there. But overall in good shape.

RC Competitor
    How does she run? Tomorrow I'll be finished installing my castle 2028 into my xmaxx

No idea. I haven't fired it up. It's my understanding it won't move until I fix whatever is ailing it. He said it won't move and just clicks. I suspect something simple.

The suspension cycles well. I will still probably at least change shock fluid. Part of the guys problem was he's not big on working on them. He takes his vehicles to the hobby shop when something is wrong.

When I spin one individual wheel diff action seems fine and smooth front and rear. If I grab tires on both sides I cannon spin the drive line. A dollar to a nickel says when I get the spur cover off I'll see the problem. Lol. And probably be a very cheap fix.

So I'm guessing a shock rebuild is in order for sure. Nothing is broken. Steering is tight. Most of the screws, and the shafts are a bit rusty. I'm going to clean all that up and get a good coat of moo slick on the whole thing.

How difficult are the diffs to access? If it's an easy job I'll pull them and put new fluid and seals. If not I'll wait till I have a problem. Lol. And upgrade then also. Overall I think I stole it.

RC Qualifier
    easy diff access 7 screws on 6s - - youtube Xmaxx diff rebuild
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Diff...0AAOSwXeJYC8eD

shock rebuild can wait or
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOCIA...4AAOSwjDZYi2fP

Cool Deal
    fabricator

I'd rather not wait. I'd prefer to knock easy maintenance out now. Getting a suspension dialed is important to me. This way I'll know what oil is in, and know where to adjust to after I drive some.

Hopefully the price of this power up kit comes down. Given the small difference in price from the 6s truck to the 8s truck, and the fact it should have come that way to begin with, I think it's awfully steep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast