RC Qualifier

Lets talk Grease!

Im looking for some grease to apply within the brass portals I'm looking to put on a TRX-4.

Am thinking this will do the job?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TETROSYL-LT...gateway&sr=8-3

Which grease do you generally use?

That stuff should do just fine. You don't need/want a lot in there, just enough to coat the face of the gears.

Depending on application, I ether use AE Black Grease or a marine grade grease like the one you have linked.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Im looking for some grease to apply within the brass portals I'm looking to put on a TRX-4.

Am thinking this will do the job?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TETROSYL-LT...gateway&sr=8-3

Which grease do you generally use?
    Yup, that's basically the same thing I use. Should do fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Brill thanks guys

RC Competitor
    I love marine grease. I even pull one of the rubber seals off of my bearings and pack them with marine grease. This way water won't ruin them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I originally purchased Hudy grease for my X-Maxx bearings. The tin container looked a decent size on the website. When it arrived it was a tiny tin!!!!!! The size of a coin!!

While I appreciate X-Maxx bearings are large, I spent 10 to pack 2 bearings!!! What a waste!

RC Qualifier
    How much grease should be in brass portals?
    Enough to cover the teeth on the gears or should it be packed in?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    How much grease should be in brass portals?
    Enough to cover the teeth on the gears or should it be packed in?
    Just enough to lightly coat the face of the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Just enough to lightly coat the face of the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks dude!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC poster
    Anybody using Udder Butter?

I’ve never used it but the R/C store I was at recently made it sound like it’s the best thing going? Looking at it, it seemed very sticky greasy so it would stick well to the surfaces and not wash off easy. Seems like a good quality to have, no?

RC Competitor
    I pack the marine grease in mine. Even the axle tubes. I don't want water to end up inside and mixing with the grease. I don't drive in water but do use the sink to clean sometimes. And it adds a little weight down low. First few runs some grease oozes out, and attracts dirt, so gotta keep it clean. It's not necessary, as Great Scott said a light coat is all that's needed. Less parasitic drag with a light coat too I'd imagine. So there's an argument against me there.

RC Racer
    I think the drag matters more if you are running fast, but for crawling only, it isnt that noticable. I drive in a LOT of deep water, so i packed mine good before the last camping trip. Finding that it actually drags down my top speed, so im going to thin it out a little this year.

RC Enthusiast
    use lucas oil marine grease i stuff mine with it i does not matter because its a crawler no rust on anything

RC Competitor
    I've been using electricians dielectric grease. It's pretty much just super thick & sticky silicone. I like that temperature has no effect on it at all. So it won't thicken in the cold, and never thins out from heat in the summer. Plus it's cheap.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalker302 View Post
    I've been using electricians dielectric grease. It's pretty much just super thick & sticky silicone. I like that temperature has no effect on it at all. So it won't thicken in the cold, and never thins out from heat in the summer. Plus it's cheap.
    I'm an electrician, so I have plenty of experience with dielectric grease. While it is good stuff, non conductive, rubber and plastic safe, and water resistant, it's not a great lubricant. Though I suppose for our applications it's fine, it wouldn't hold up to a normal bearing grease in high stress uses. Price wise, marine grease is half the cost. How long have you've been using it? How long does it last for you? I'm not doubting your success with it, just curious as to how it holds up. There are better silicone based greases out there, I use some that's like a paste for shock o rings, but it's not cheap. Got me thinking of trying dielectric grease on the o rings. Seems like it might mix with the oil though. Any experience with something like that with dielectric grease?