Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    22

    Exclamation Velineon VXL-3S LVC too late

    Hi everybody,

    Picked up a barely used Slash 4x4 from a friend, and got back into the hobby. The original HCG chassis, probably bought in 2011 or 2012.

    Maiden run today with a 2s 60c 5000mAh. Lipo mode activated, everything seemed to work great. I wanted to hit LVC to make sure it works, and it sure did. So I thought all is well.

    But I'm not entirely sure. When I connected the battery to charge it (5 min after the run), one cell was at 3.2V, the other at 3.29V.

    On my old Castle ESC's I used to run LVC at 3.6V. I read online that the Velineon should LVC around 3.7V, although not programmable.

    Do you guys think something is wrong with the ESC? Not too comfortable running down to 3.2V.


    Thanks in advance.


    Edited for language abuse. If you see starred out words in your post, please edit them out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2019 at 09:24 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    237
    A lipo cell can safely be discharged down to 3v. It's not safe to go that close to 3v tho so most lvc cutoffs will stop it around 3.2-3.6.

    It does look like one of your cells is not balanced properly after discharging tho, so I'd make sure when you recharge the battery both cells are at the same voltage or at least within 0.02v from each other.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,317
    Yeah, if you want to extend the life of your batteries I wouldn't run them that low. Being it's 2nd hand to you it's likely not going to be covered under any warranty. If it were new I would send it back to them and they'd either fix it or replace it. Best thing to do is run a lipo alarm, or I think you can monitor voltage with the app and the bluetooth module.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    A lipo cell can safely be discharged down to 3v. It's not safe to go that close to 3v tho so most lvc cutoffs will stop it around 3.2-3.6.

    It does look like one of your cells is not balanced properly after discharging tho, so I'd make sure when you recharge the battery both cells are at the same voltage or at least within 0.02v from each other.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Yes, I don't want to run them that low. On my Castle ESC's I run LVC at 3.6V. Unfortunately the Traxxas ESC is not programmable.

    And thanks for the suggestion on charging. Although, I always balance charge my LiPos, just felt safer that way.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Yeah, if you want to extend the life of your batteries I wouldn't run them that low. Being it's 2nd hand to you it's likely not going to be covered under any warranty. If it were new I would send it back to them and they'd either fix it or replace it. Best thing to do is run a lipo alarm, or I think you can monitor voltage with the app and the bluetooth module.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It's definitely not covered under warranty, it's a shame these Traxxas ESC's are not programmable. I might start to run a LiPo alarm, like you suggested.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,173
    Once you get to know your truck better, you will notice that it slows down considerably when the battery is getting close to lvc. At that point just quit driving it and put the battery on the charger.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Once you get to know your truck better, you will notice that it slows down considerably when the battery is getting close to lvc. At that point just quit driving it and put the battery on the charger.
    Yes, there is an evident drop in power once it's close to LVC. I've tested now through a couple of cycles, stopping to run the moment where the drop appears, and it stops at around 3.5V. Thanks!

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast braco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    22
    That exactly what I did the last time I drove it. It was better and more consistent. LVC hitting around 3.45V.

    Thanks everybody for chiming in!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •