Thread: Gearing

RC poster

Gearing

Hi all,

Recently i bought my first second hand e revo 1.0 mamba monster.
    So still pretty new to the traxxas fun.

The previous owner put a 65 tooth spur in it , so currently running 18/65.

Im not a speedfreak and i like acceleration more then anything, wheelies, drifts, small jumps and so on.
    I've set the esc to 90% power and i feel like i have alot of wheelspin instead of grip.
    Is 65 spur to big?

What gearing do you guys recommend?

RC poster
    Depends of batteries too.

I have 18t/65 too (which is stock on the first gen E-Revo) on 6S lipos and it does standing back flips no problem and even does wheelies at high speed.

Check if the clutch is tight enough, tires or surface may also be the problem.

RC poster
    I also run on 6s, clutch is good. I did have some problems with the slipper clutch, it started slipping so i tightend it a bit, but the slipping got worse. After alot of fiddling i saw thay i pushed the bearing trough the spur (steel spur gear), with that bending the clutch ring. Orderd a new one, reset the bearing in the spur gear and put it together very carefully, now the clutch works perfect.

It does do wheelies but not from a stand still on the street. I have to let it roll a bit then i can wheelie.
    On sand it only wheelies at speed (half trottle to full trottle)

I just orderd a new set of tires witch should help because mine are about 50% worn an 1 is balloning more then the others.

Nice to know that 18/65 is stock,
    I think i want to go with a little less agressive gearing but what is better , change the spur to a smaller one or change the pinion gear?

RC poster
    I dont think changing the gearing is necessary.

Sand is a very loose surface so it will be harder to have the front lift off. I brought mine to the skate park this week and it couldn’t even do a 1 inch wheelie since the concrete was very slick. It only spun and drifted. On asphalte it does wheelies on command.

If you’re spinning then the issue is not power but traction. Tires are the issue.