RC poster

having trouble finding the right pinion gear, please help!

i ended up getting a really good deal on the QuicRun motor and ESC for my teton but now the pinion gear shaft is 2.3mm vs the 2mm the stock motor was. so the stock pinion gear will not work. i've broken two drill bits trying to open the hole up slightly so i'm done with that.

i need help finding a pinion and spur gear combo that will work well with the 4500 kv motor, have the 2.3mm hole for the shaft, and have the correct pitch to mesh well. i can find LaTrax spur gears in 50t, ,52t, 54t, 60t but cannot find what pitch they are to match a pinion! it's so frustrating. idk if it's just me missing something when i'm reading or what.....

i would prefer 54t spur and an 18t pinion but at this point i'll take just about anything.

please help!

thank you

RC poster
    i ended up ordering and installing this from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperion-Hi...72.m2749.l2649

turns out the factory spur gear isn't .5 mod pitch....from what i could find online it says the factory is 48p. so i just ordered this to go with the one i got above:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-...72.m2749.l2649

not quite the ratio i wanted but it's gonna have to do i guess. if anyone is wondering
    Last edited by les4metal; 06-01-2019 at 10:36 AM.

RC poster
    ......aaaaaand the gears don't mesh correctly. tested it out and there's brass colored shavings all over the place. awesome. looks like the only gear ratio i can get is way off from what i wanted.

nobody has any good info for gear part numbers or combos for a LiPo Teton???

RC Competitor
    You can't run a brass pinion and a steel spur. You can run it with a plastic spur. For a steel spur you need a hardened steel pinion, otherwise the spur gear will chew up the pinion gear

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I answered your question on the other thread. The stock spur is mod 0.5. I drilled the stock Traxxas pinion (carefully and took a little while) and still use it. Also ordered a 13t pinion from a 18T which is correct ID and mod 0.5.

Should be everything youíre looking for?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    I answered your question on the other thread. The stock spur is mod 0.5. I drilled the stock Traxxas pinion (carefully and took a little while) and still use it. Also ordered a 13t pinion from a 18T which is correct ID and mod 0.5.

Should be everything you’re looking for?
    i tried it with the stock spur gear and they did not mesh perfectly. not even close. i think the pinion gear i got was the part that was off. it was from china.....i was trying to get as close to a 3:1 gear ratio as i could but if i go 13 tooth pinion i'll be at 4.65:1. WAY off. what are your thoughts on such a high ratio with a 2s LiPo and the QuicRun set up i have? i'm new at this stuff. thank you

RC Racer
    Gearing is totally your preference and doesnít affect mesh. If you got a 48 pitch pinion that was why it didnít match up

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Gearing is totally your preference and doesn’t affect mesh. If you got a 48 pitch pinion that was why it didn’t match up
    i posted links to the parts i ordered, they were both supposed to be 0.5m pitch. but yeah i understand gearing as far as speed goes. i've built full size cars. but with the electric motor vs a piston engine, doesn't the gear have no effect on torque and only generates more heat? i wanted to keep the heat down

RC poster
    Having same issue with finding a pinion gear to fit. just ordered a bunch of random pinions off line that gave the right specks ...I think!!! what did you end up doing? i am ready to get a vxl3 traxxas set up and be done with it.

RC Enthusiast
    When I drilled my pinion I noticed that the stock pinion (10 tooth) that came on the teton was very hard and I could not drill it either.

I bought the pinion that comes on the latrax rally part# 7652 (14 tooth pinion). This one I was able to drill very easily. I actually bought 3 of them expecting to have problems, but I drilled through all 3 of them with ease. I did use some Tap Magic to help lubricate it, but the drill bit literally went right through the pinion. The drill bit I used was a 3/32 Cobalt bit that I bought at Lowes for about $4.

You should try drilling the rally pinion. Once you get it all up and running you will be very happy that you did.