RC Enthusiast

Really peeved off! GPM sway bar upgrade..

I love the UDR, but some things on it are terribly frustrating such as the stock sway bar system. The 2mm rod is way too soft and twists too easily providing minimal torque resistance up front and basically zero out back.
    Not to mention that they constantly break and i have been through a half dozen sets and thought enough was enough.

So I did some research and found two brands that make replacement sway bar kits. GMP and Hot Racing. The Hot Racing kits look of better quality but are more expensive and harder to find in stock anywhere, especially in Australia.
    So I went ahead and bought a set of GPM parts.

Three weeks later they arrived and I proceeded to fit them up.
    Straight away I noticed that the half moon shaped notch in the shaft is too large meaning the screw isn't able to load up against it once inserted.
    Even after tightening up the screw as tight as I dare, over a small two foot jump one of the sway linkages at one end dislodges out of position then causing the truck to sit on am uneven lean angle. Yes these screws are hella tight! Any tighter and i fear they'll strip the thread or round the hex head. My only other option is too replace the screws with larger diameter and longer ones with a nut in an effort to tighten them up even harder.

I have emailed GPM but they don't seem keen to help or advise in this situation.
    Has anyone else had the same issue with the GPM parts?

RC Racer
    I have used gpm on other cars and have had no problems maybe that is a defect and the threads didnít get tapped I would wait for an email response from them.. they are located in China so it might take time for them to respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    What if you were to take a file to the end of the seat bar and rough it up a bit? Maybe try and scratch the insides of the link a bit as well. The texture might help things grab a bit better. Frustrating for sure!
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Enthusiast
    Im gong to try larger and longer screws with a nut and see if they hold position better. How tight did you guys do the screws up?

RC Enthusiast
    So I drilled out the original screw holes to fit larger and longer 4mm screws and nut. Hopefully the larger screws fit better into the cut out in the sway bar and with the nuts give it more clamping force. I'm yet to try it out as unfortunately the bad weather has hit on the weekend but I'll post the results at my next opportunity.

I have to say the difference in sway stiffness is on orders of magnitude! The stock anti roll system is woefully inadequate.. It's just a shame Traxxas don't offer a hop up parts set.. and also that the GPM replacement parts are kinda flawed too.

RC Enthusiast
    What you did looks to me to be what was needed. I bet that they will be just fine now, but it is ashamed that you had to modify them to work properly. Waiting for an update.