RC poster

Battery Question

I have 2 6700 MAH Traxxas Batteries. I left them connected in my XMax for over 2 months and that completely drained them. A buddy of mine charged them back up on his charger just enough where the Traxxas charger was able to pick it up and charge both of them. I was then able to charge them back up, but after plugging them in the truck the X Maxx it did no go as fast as it normally does, it was at half speed, so I went back home to charge both again and one of the batteries charged up while the other will not. Any suggestions on what to do here:
    1. Are the batteries done for
    2. Should I just buy new batteries
    3. Should I invest in a multi-charger and tweak around with these batteries

Thanks in advance!

Your batteries got badly damaged due to them being completely drained. They will never recover to what they once were. Also, they are now a safety risk. Dump them, and learn from your mistake. Thank goodness, you didn't have anything bad happen to you by having them connected to your Xmaxx for so long.

In your owners manual one of the big safety warnings Traxxas gives you is to disconnect your batteries when not in use. Make sure you read/re-read your owners manual, and buy yourself a new set of batteries.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas battery have a lifetime 50% trade-in program. You can trade in your old battery for a brand new one for half of their listed price.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...tteries/lipoid
    Last edited by Townie; 05-31-2019 at 01:30 AM.

This is true, but unfortunately half of a Traxxas listed battery price is moderately more expensive than other good quality brands at their full list price. It doesn't pleasure me to tell you that, but it's true, and one of the few things I disagree with Traxxas about.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Townie View Post
    Traxxas battery have a lifetime 50% trade-in program. You can trade in your old battery for a brand new one for half of their listed price.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...tteries/lipoid
    But even at 50% price theyre still too expensive for their spec IMO. In the UK anyway?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No matter the brands, mediocrity is never worth paying for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    No matter the brands, mediocrity is never worth paying for.
    Mmmmmm, I have to disagree on that one. If a person gets a new tricked out Chevy Camaro SS for $60K, and another person gets a twin turbo Porsche 911 for $120K; both are okay. Each is worth their money, even though the Camaro is mediocre compared to the Porsche. The problem would be, if Chevy wanted to charge $120k for their tricked out Chevy Camaro SS. This is the problem with Traxxas batteries. They're good batteries, but just way over priced when compared to other brands with comparable spec's and warranties.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-01-2019 at 02:58 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Mmmmmm, I have to disagree on that one. If a person gets a new tricked out Chevy Camaro SS for $60K, and another person gets a twin turbo Porsche 911 for $120K; both are okay. Each is worth their money, even though the Camaro is mediocre compared to the Porsche. The problem would be, if Chevy wanted to charge $120k for their tricked out Chevy Camaro SS. This is the problem with Traxxas batteries. They're good batteries, but just way over priced when compared to other brands with comparable spec's and warranties.
    Iím gonna call you out, because itís our thing. The issue is traxxas is known for having tough, affordable kits, not good batteries. If youíre not up to the task, you should stay out of that arena. Think why Arrma doesnít manufacture motors and escís. A tricked out Camaro is still a big, heavy, accident waiting to happen going down the road(mediocre at best). Looks cool(to some), but you should know better. A machine designed and built with the purpose of being nimble and fast, and actually is, is worth paying for(not mediocre).
    My issue is just trying to pick up
    More share in more markets,
    Doesnít always work out so well.

I’m gonna call you out, because it’s our thing.
    You don't have to call me out. I don't mind hearing your point of view.

The issue is traxxas is known for having tough, affordable kits, [B]not good batteries.
    (IMO) a Traxxas battery is a good reliable battery. I have test equipment that lets me test and compare all the goodies of batteries, and the Traxxas batteries always test well. The problem (for me, anyway) is how much they are for what spec's I see. I see other batteries with similar (and even better) spec's and warranties for a whole lot less.

If you’re not up to the task, you should stay out of that arena.
    Most battery companies like Traxxas, Horizon, OSE, SMC (and so on) don't make their own batteries. At best, they get cells from one of a handful of manufactures that make cells and then assemble them. Some companies don't even do that. They buy full battery sets and just re-brand them.

A tricked out Camaro is still a big, heavy, accident waiting to happen going down the road mediocre at best. Looks cool(to some), but you should know better.
    You did say it could be mediocre, so (IMO) it's still a good example of mediocre. I could of used Mustang, Challenger, Corvette, BMW and so on. I wanted to use an example of a car that was priced around $50-$60K. On the other side, I could of used, Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti and so on rather than Porsche. I wanted to use an example of a car that was priced around 100 grand. The purpose of my examples weren't whether they were good or bad, but were used as examples of mediocre and above mediocre.

A machine designed and built with the purpose of being nimble and fast, and actually is, is worth paying for (not mediocre).
    Some people can't afford high end items, so (IMPO) it's good that they (in this case) don't have to walk, just because they can't afford a Porsche. However, they do have to know the limitations of mediocrity, so that way, they can be fair to their Camaro, and safe for them and every one else on the highway.

In closing, I think we're in agreement. The Traxxas battery is a good reliable battery, but why pay high end battery prices for them. With my parable, if you have plenty of money to buy a Porsche, then buy a Porsche. Don't pay Porsche prices for a Camaro.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-01-2019 at 07:42 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    You don't have to call me out. I don't mind hearing your point of view.

(IMO) a Traxxas battery is a good reliable battery. I have test equipment that lets me test and compare all the goodies of batteries, and the Traxxas batteries always test well. The problem (for me, anyway) is how much they are for what spec's I see. I see other batteries with similar (and even better) spec's and warranties for a whole lot less.

Most battery companies like Traxxas, Horizon, OSE, SMC (and so on) don't make their own batteries. At best, they get cells from one of a handful of manufactures that make cells and then assemble them. Some companies don't even do that. They buy full battery sets and just re-brand them.

You did say it could be mediocre, so (IMO) it's still a good example of mediocre. I could of used Mustang, Challenger, Corvette, BMW and so on. I wanted to use an example of a car that was priced around $50-$60K. On the other side, I could of used, Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti and so on rather than Porsche. I wanted to use an example of a car that was priced around 100 grand. The purpose of my examples weren't whether they were good or bad, but were used as examples of mediocre and above mediocre.

Some people can't afford high end items, so (IMPO) it's good that they (in this case) don't have to walk, just because they can't afford a Porsche. However, they do have to know the limitations of mediocrity, so that way, they can be fair to their Camaro, and safe for them and every one else on the highway.

In closing, I think we're in agreement. The Traxxas battery is a good reliable battery, but why pay high end battery prices for them. With my parable, if you have plenty of money to buy a Porsche, then buy a Porsche. Don't pay Porsche prices for a Camaro.
    The last sentence is a very good point. Also Iím all for people living within their means. I donít own a Porsche. I used the term call you out incorrectly, I just enjoy a good back and forth.

I just recently invested in a good charger, and it has made some of my batteries healthier. My old charger only got cells within +/- .06 of each other. My new one is very accurate. The basic rules of lipo care are number 1 in my opinion, if you want to take it to the next level a good charger just makes it better. Alot of people overlook it, but a good, accurate charger is pretty important if you are going to be in this hobby and own a fleet of exspensive lipos. I think you should invest in a good multi charger. I think you should follow all the general rules of lipos. It's worth a shot at trying to revive your batteries or bite the bullet and just get new ones. Any lipo, whether high end, or bargain basement will only treat you as good as you treat it. I personally learned that the hard way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I just recently invested in a good charger, and it has made some of my batteries healthier. My old charger only got cells within +/- .06 of each other. My new one is very accurate. The basic rules of lipo care are number 1 in my opinion, if you want to take it to the next level a good charger just makes it better. Alot of people overlook it, but a good, accurate charger is pretty important if you are going to be in this hobby and own a fleet of exspensive lipos. I think you should invest in a good multi charger. I think you should follow all the general rules of lipos. It's worth a shot at trying to revive your batteries or bite the bullet and just get new ones. Any lipo, whether high end, or bargain basement will only treat you as good as you treat it. I personally learned that the hard way.

Very good piece of advice. Iíve got a good charger and agree with your points. Good charger is a game changer.

Very good piece of advice. Iíve got a good charger and agree with your points. Good charger is a game changer.

It sure is. Not just for Batteries, but the overall enjoyment of the hobby. It used to take me 2 hours to charge one 9200mah 4s for the Xmaxx, now I can do 2 in 20 minutes. No more planning days in advance if I'm going to have time, when the time comes, boom 10-15 minutes I'm off and running from a storage charge. My charger setup by far is the best investment into the hobby I've ever made.

RC Qualifier
    OP - Just keep your eye on ebay and the for sale section. Traxxas batteries go for good prices once in awhile. I like my Traxxas batteries. I only have one Traxxas vehicle that does not use Traxxas batteries. Right now I have eighteen Traxxas batteries that I use, and two additional that are in backup status due to puffing. I like the batteries enough for what I do, and the only time I had problems was the first batch of iD batteries. I really do not plan on changing from the new connector for the 4S Traxxas batteries because I like the bluetooth charger. I'll keep waiting for deals on Traxxas batteries.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    OP - Just keep your eye on ebay and the for sale section. Traxxas batteries go for good prices once in awhile.
    You can definitely get good deals on Traxxas batteries if you look around. Years ago, when I first got back into surface RC, I got Traxxas batteries. I liked the idea of their extended lifetime warranty. Also (back then), up to 5000mha and 20c was about all you could get, so price and quality was the only other features to consider. You could (and probably still can) get traxxas batteries for less than half of their list price.

I like my Traxxas batteries.
    I like Traxxas batteries too. My problem came, though, when one of my Traxxas batteries would poop out, and I wanted to use its' life time warranty. For me to use my Traxxas life time warranty I had to pay full list price for it's replacement. This full list price was over twice what I paid for the battery originally. When I compared this full list price with other good quality batteries (they all had one year warranties, but were normally priced at what I was getting my discounted Traxxas batteries for) it made sense for me to go with another good quality brand that didn't have a lifetime warranty.

My consumer logic told me (at worst case) that each one of my Traxxas batteries would have to poop out 3 times each before I started loosing money. I just don't have (anyway near) that many battery problems to justify paying for that kind of an extended lifetime warranty.

Now, if a person could show Traxxas a bill of sale (with the actual discounted purchase price of their Traxxas battery) and Traxxas replaced that battery for that same discounted price; my consumer logic would be okay with paying for the Traxxas extended lifetime warranty on their batteries. As it stands now, love you Traxxas...mean it, but no thanks.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-02-2019 at 05:20 AM.