Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Vxl 8s

  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723

    Vxl 8s

    I have an original xmaxx. Stock everything. As far as power is concerned I am quite happy with the stock 6s motor and stock gearing.

    However, on 6s I'm hitting thermal protection stage one in less than 10 minutes lately (95 degrees and rising).

    This isn't my first rodeo, and I'm familiar with all the usual remedies. Gearing changes, fans, etc.

    I don't want to regear because I'm very happy with the current speed and punch. I doubt fan will make a huge difference, as even with the body off it comes quick.

    I believe it's time to upgrade the 6s esc. I really want to stick with Castle or Traxxas. I know the Max 6 is a good option, but I already have all the soft and hardware to program Castle ESCs . I'd prefer to stick with the programming stuff I have, or keep it simple with a Traxxas ESC.

    I have a Mamba Monster X, but I don't think it would be an appreciable improvement, and I'd hate to fry it (I have a hunch that it wouldn't though, as I doubt the specs are worse than the vxl6s that hasn't burnt up). I want to stick with waterproof, so the xlx is out. I've waterproofed in the past with conformal coating or corrosion x, and I trust it, but I still hesitate to do that with an xlx.

    So that basically leaves me with the vxl8s or switching to a Max6.

    How is the vxl8s doing on 6s with the 6s motor? If it'll run with stock gearing without overheating I think it'll be a fine choice for me, and I've seen them pretty cheap.

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    Mine is losing power with vxl8s, my buddy just put a new max6 In his and it's like brand new again. I rebuilt my diff and checked for any drive line friction but i cant find any reason to loose my snappy power. It will barely wheelie even with a new center diff

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Mine is losing power with vxl8s, my buddy just put a new max6 In his and it's like brand new again. I rebuilt my diff and checked for any drive line friction but i cant find any reason to loose my snappy power. It will barely wheelie even with a new center diff

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    Is this because you're hitting LVC or thermal protection?

    Also, have you verified that your batteries aren't having problems?

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 05-28-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    I have the original 6s Xmaxx too, and I like running on 6s. I went with the Leopard 1340kv motor and XLX-X ESC. My temps are in the 90's with 29'54 gearing. If you want original performance, go with 26/54 gearing. I like both gearing setups, but (believe it or not) my temps are a little better with the 29/54 gearing.

    I wanted to stay with Castle too (even though the XLX isn't waterproof). (IMO) I'd rather have a XLX rather than a Maxx 5 or 6. I like dealing with Castle better, and the parts availability is better with Castle. Also (for me), I run in dry and wet conditions with my XLX with no problems, but I do stay out of deep or running water. For me, I don't mind if that's what it takes to run a Castle ESC.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-28-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I just don't think I'm willing to spend that much on an esc, then deliberately drive it through water.

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    When I hit a small puddles and watery mud, I don't worry about it. The way that the Xmaxx wheels are setup I don't get anything on my ESC, but like say, you have to stay out of the deep stuff. Also, if you play your cards right, you can get a Castle XLX-X for under 140 bucks.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    I really wash castle would make a Monster X-XL, they need a 1/6th scale esc. Theres a few models now that are between 1/8 and 1/5. I emailed castle to see if they had one on development and they say they don't

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    When I hit a small puddles and watery mud, I don't worry about it. The way that the Xmaxx wheels are setup I don't get anything on my ESC, but like say, you have to stay out of the deep stuff. Also, if you play your cards right, you can get a Castle XLX-X for under 140 bucks.
    I don't always keep it restricted to that.

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Also, if you play your cards right, you can get a Castle XLX-X for under 140 bucks.

    What does that mean? I looked at the Castle direct site (Yes, I know they're a higher price) and the Castle site would be lucky to have a paper clip in stock or not back-ordered! So if other suppliers know of Castle's shortage, they are naturally going to jack their prices up. Castle for the last year, has given me the excuse that they had a problem with their supplier when I go to order something from them.

    I looked all over eBay for two continuous hours and the lowest I could find a Mamba XL X was listed at $209.00 - so where can you get a brand new XL X for under $140 bucks?

    Even with $10 discount coupons and referrals, I can't talk some of my most current suppliers of ESC's down past $175 bucks for the XL X --- so care to PM as to how to play my cards right; because obviously it is some secret you could not share in your post and honestly, when I hear of the prices you guys are getting on new equipment for enormous discounts, it makes me wonder if you guys are sponsored and not telling us or you guys actually work for the distributors and they are cutting you breaks not offered to the average end user.

    Or a third possibility is that it all comes down to who you know. I wish I knew someone important in the RC business that could get me discounts all day and every day!

    Heck, I would be lucky to get a decent steering servo (HV) for under $140; so you could imagine why it burns me that some of us are paying twice the price for the same products you guys are getting at half or 75% of the price of what I see them publicly listed for.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-29-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Require information.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I looked all over eBay for two continuous hours and the lowest I could find a Mamba XL X was listed at $209.00 - so where can you get a brand new XL X for under $140 bucks.

    Or a third possibility is that it all comes down to who you know. I wish I knew someone important in the RC business that could get me discounts all day and every day!
    I'm going to have to be quick here (I got to get ready for work), but there are a few tricks to the trade. I don't mind giving out secrets, so a PM won't be necessary. Anyway, keep this in mind as you read below, that the best time to buy something is when you don't need it. This applies to cars, motorcycles, surfboards...whatever.

    1). Shop during the off season.
    2). Deal in cash.
    3). Use the prices on the internet (when you can) as a negotiating tool.
    4). Develop a repour with your local hobby shops.
    5). When working with the internet, use sites that you can call or write to a contact as much as possible. (You can't negotiate if you can't talk to the guy.)
    6). Work back and forth between your internet contacts, and your (LHS)'s.
    7). Try to work in states that don't have sales tax.
    8). Lean how to bluff, and be able to backup a bluff if need be.
    9). Shop around before you start to negotiate to get a feel of what your price goal should be.
    10). Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if you feel you can do better with someone else, or at another time.

    You're absolutely right about who you know, so you have to develop a network of "who you knows." You don't have to be a big shot to do that. Heck, I'm just barely (on the skin of my butt) a ReglarGuy, but you do have to develop working relationships both on and off the internet.

    Also, keep in mind that there are large markups on full list prices, so your goal is to be fair by saving money, and allowing whoever your dealing with to make a fair profit. The key word here is "fair."

    P.S. Remember, you are the authority when buying. You got the cash, and they need to make it where you want to pull your wallet out to stay in business. So, take the bull by the horns, and negotiate like you got a pair...don't be to cocky, though. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-30-2019 at 04:12 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'm going to have to be quick here (I got to get ready for work), but there are a few tricks to the trade. I don't mind giving out secrets, so a PM won't be necessary. Anyway, keep this in mind as you read below, that the best time to buy something is when you don't need it. This applies to cars, motorcycles, surfboards...whatever.

    1). Shop during the off season.
    2). Deal in cash.
    3). Use the prices on the internet (when you can) as a negotiating tool.
    4). Develop a repour with your local hobby shops.
    5). When working with the internet, use sites that you can call or write to a contact as much as possible. (You can't negotiate if you can't talk to the guy.)
    6). Work back and forth between your internet contacts, and your (LHS)'s.
    7). Try to work in states that don't have sales tax.
    8). Lean how to bluff, and be able to backup a bluff if need be.
    9). Shop around before you start to negotiate to get a feel of what your price goal should be.
    10). Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if you feel you can do better with someone else, or at another time.

    You're absolutely right about who you know, so you have to develop a network of "who you knows." You don't have to be a big shot to do that. Heck, I'm just barely (on the skin of my butt) a ReglarGuy, but you do have to develop working relationships both on and off the internet.

    Also, keep in mind that there are large markups on full list prices, so your goal is to be fair by saving money, and allowing whoever your dealing with to make a fair profit. The key word here is "fair."

    P.S. Remember, you are the authority when buying. You got the cash, and they need to make it where you want to pull your wallet out to stay in business. So, take the bull by the horns, and negotiate like you got a pair...don't be to cocky, though. (lol)
    This also works at car dealerships and buying homes. Well.

  12. #12
    RC Racer X-Maxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Mine is losing power with vxl8s, my buddy just put a new max6 In his and it's like brand new again. I rebuilt my diff and checked for any drive line friction but i cant find any reason to loose my snappy power. It will barely wheelie even with a new center diff

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    is the VXL-8s in training mode? that might be why its slow.
    6s X-Maxx-Hobbywing MAX6 8s conversion

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    This also works at car dealerships and buying homes. Well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'm going to have to be quick here (I got to get ready for work), but there are a few tricks to the trade. I don't mind giving out secrets, so a PM won't be necessary. Anyway, keep this in mind as you read below, that the best time to buy something is when you don't need it. This applies to cars, motorcycles, surfboards...whatever.
    Yep, that's what I said, so I have to agree.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Yep, that's what I said, so I have to agree.
    I understand and appreciate the elaborate response.

    However; I don't think you caught the part where I mentioned Castle had or is having a problem with their supplier. In regards to that, other licensed sellers of Castle products are aware of the shortage Castle is experiencing and won't come down on their prices.

    I watched the XL X for over two years now, and off season or not, the retailers won't come down in prices on a limited supply regardless of demand.

    I have extensive knowledge of how the economy works and can undeniably tell you that if you have the most superb bargaining tactics of anyone out there; well, you are not going to get the XL X for under $140 right now. The only way you are going to get the XL X for under $140 when I see them marked up as high as $335 and climbing due to supply and demand, is if you have some kind of personal trade program with Castle that I am unaware of.

    Not to argue by any means; I just don't see how even if it were off season right now (which it is not), how to get an XL X for under $140 ---- I just don't think it is possible, and if it is, I 'll give you the $140 and you buy the XL X so I can say I bought one for under $140!

    The lowest I seen them in the last two years was like $175 shipped. Still not under $140; but not bad at $175!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I understand and appreciate the elaborate response.

    However; I don't think you caught the part where I mentioned Castle had or is having a problem with their supplier. In regards to that, other licensed sellers of Castle products are aware of the shortage Castle is experiencing and won't come down on their prices.

    I watched the XL X for over two years now, and off season or not, the retailers won't come down in prices on a limited supply regardless of demand.

    I have extensive knowledge of how the economy works and can undeniably tell you that if you have the most superb bargaining tactics of anyone out there; well, you are not going to get the XL X for under $140 right now. The only way you are going to get the XL X for under $140 when I see them marked up as high as $335 and climbing due to supply and demand, is if you have some kind of personal trade program with Castle that I am unaware of.

    Not to argue by any means; I just don't see how even if it were off season right now (which it is not), how to get an XL X for under $140 ---- I just don't think it is possible, and if it is, I 'll give you the $140 and you buy the XL X so I can say I bought one for under $140!

    The lowest I seen them in the last two years was like $175 shipped. Still not under $140; but not bad at $175!
    I did get mine back when my 6s Xmaxx first came out, and it wasn't a big deal to get one. I did see in this forum a couple of times that some of the guys said they seem to be in short supply. Fortunately for me, a while back, I got a Fuse 160 for a 100 bucks off eBay. I have it as a backup for my wife's Super Baja Ray, but I can use it too if need be. That's what I do if I can't get something due to a backorder or short supply. I go to another manufacturer and look for a good deal that way.

    I might have to keep an eye out, though, for another cheap selling XLX or maybe even that fancy pantsy 200 amper Max 5. I personally, don't mind having spare parts as long as I can get them at a really good price. I have always planned for my future maintenance. Also, on occasion, when I need to trouble shoot, extra parts sure come in very handy. Also, also, I don't have to wait to receive a part in the mail before I can do a repair. I can repair, and then replace my stock at my leisure to have a better chance of getting a good deal.

    In closing, thank goodness you are a super-duper expert in economics. I won't worry about you anymore. (lol) It sounds like you have a grip on what I wrote before, and all you have to do now is start building up your backup parts inventory as fast as you can find the deals that you like. Good luck and my the monetary force be with you!
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-30-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    In closing, thank goodness you are a super-duper expert in economics. I won't worry about you anymore. (lol) It sounds like you have a grip on what I wrote before, and all you have to do now is start building up your backup parts inventory as fast as you can find the deals that you like. Good luck and my the monetary force be with you!
    I'm not an expert in economics by any means; I just have a grasp on the fact that the actual value of a dollar is about equivalent to 13 cents in relativity terms. Meaning; the average wage per hour across the global market is no where near the extensive buying power the dollar had many years back.

    Just because someone made $8.50 per hour back in the 80's, you didn't see candy bars selling for $1.75 or more just because someone made a decent wage; they were fifty cents across the board for any candy bar you wanted no matter what you earned per hour. Is chocolate in some crisis that I don't know about? I doubt it. The prices are decided by the owners of this country and the politicians are just put there to lead you to believe you have a choice---You don't! As George Carlin so adequately put it.

    Now because some people earn $17 or more per hour, the price of everything is sky-rocketing due to an imbalance in the quantum balance theory in economics. It now takes money to earn money and the sad truth is that will be the downfall of the wealthy because they are just gonna be rich on paper and not have any real cash or assets on hand to account for their wealth - as I say, just rich on paper; but can't really prove it because they have to account for their tax write offs to avoid debt and extra taxes.

    In other words, they live beyond their means just like the poor do!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-30-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I'm not an expert in economics by any means.

    As George Carlin so adequately put it.
    I don't know, you sound like a economics super genius to me. (lol) I like how you think, though. A lot of people don't understand the difference between paper wealth and reliable wealth. You'll be glad to know that the ol' ReglarGuy lives very well within his means. That's not to say I'm cheap by any means, cause I'm not. I'm just careful not get caught up in materialistic traps, and I think long and hard before I spend money. Also, my wife and I have always had a joint account, so we always go back and forth getting each others opinion before we spend.

    George Carlin. I use to like him in the early 60's when he first came out on the Ed Sullivan Show. He was hilarious. Then he started getting angry and hateful. Even at that, (IMO) he was right about a lot of things (not everything, though). I just don't like it when people are unnecessarily mean.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    This is all assuming we have a local hobby shop. I don't, so I deal mostly with online orders shipped to my house. Regardless....

    Does anybody else have input on whether or not the vxl8s would be able to pull my stock motor on 6s in 100 degree temps without thermaling so quickly? Lol. Pretty please, yes or no?

    Motor heat notwithstanding. I'll tackle that.

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    This is all assuming we have a local hobby shop. I don't, so I deal mostly with online orders shipped to my house. Regardless....

    Does anybody else have input on whether or not the vxl8s would be able to pull my stock motor on 6s in 100 degree temps without thermaling so quickly? Lol. Pretty please, yes or no?

    Motor heat notwithstanding. I'll tackle that.

    Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    You're right on that. You're kind of sunk if you don't have any hobby shops in your area. The best you can do is work with people who you can talk to online. And yes, if you put a VXL8s in your other wise stock 6s, run on 6s, you should have no heat issues with your Traxxas ESC.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    152
    RegularGuy, clear your PM messages out...I tried to PM you and it bounced saying your storage is full!

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,103
    Okay, I am doing it now.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •