RC Qualifier

Project Parts Bin

I was originally going to upgrade my either my Rustler, Bandit, or Stampede into a fun build, and realized I would have a lot of left over parts. . . So I decided to do the least economical thing. . . Build a new Rustler from parts. Literally. Enter Project Parts Bin, a Rustler currently being sourced from individual parts. I'm not sure how much difference there is between the VXL and the XL-5 (besides screws/motor/esc) but I got some VXL listed parts (screws and transmission). Obviously I'm missing parts, but I have some blue RPM control arms on the way and haven't decided what esc/motor/radio setup I want to use. So far I'm having fun looking at some of the slight changes between my original cars and whats for sale now. I'm thinking I might want to go bushless as that's something I've always wanted, and I'll update as I go. The body is something special to me as it was a gift awhile back.

Life, Liberty, and the persuit of RC domination!! Saving the world, one twinky at a time.

RC Qualifier
    I'm finally able to post an update. I'm planning to upgrade one of my other cars with a brushed motor and new esc, so maybe my son can use the other car. I'm thinking about using it in this setup for the time being as my actual cars need some love. I still haven't settled on a radio/receiver setup yet either. Originally I wanted to use the Rustler 4x4 rims and tires, but realized the front control arms were too short. . . So I bought some Talon Extreme tires, and All Star Rims. One set of tires is back ordered, thus the mixed rims in the pictures. I'm still missing some parts, but ended up going with the Traxxas Big Bore aluminum shocks, blue RPM control arms, red aluminum wheel nuts, and Slash heavy duty drive shafts. So far I've noticed the RPM rear control arms fit poorly and needed some sanding down. The gray front hubs seem a little wide so I probably should have gotten all black ones as they are narrower.

Life, Liberty, and the persuit of RC domination!! Saving the world, one twinky at a time.

RC Racer
    One of these days I'll have enough spare parts to build another RC from them like you guys.

RC Qualifier
    This one was built from parts, but not my personal spare parts. Lol but I have a lot of random parts and old RC cars

RC Racer
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    Flying Tiger Dad did a somewhat similar project, so that might help a bit. Also, I've heard that the RPM A arms are too flexible for racing, and lead to bad handling characteristics.

Interested in how this turns out!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I'll check out his thread. For me this will probably never see a track, just my backyard. I'm fortunate that we have an acre to play on for the time being, and behind us is a power line right of way that goes on for a while.

Just to save you some time searching...https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...er-Track-Build
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome! I've read through the first page and love it. Part of my motivation in building from parts is my inner nerd. I wanted to see and feel the parts to see if there is more than just a cosmetic change between my old one and the new ones. I also like seeing if the witness marks are in the same spots (did dies/moulds change?) and looking at the flow paths the plastic must have taken, as I assume these are injection moulded parts. Hopefully someone can chime in with more info on that.

RC Competitor
    Nice! Hopefully soon I’ll have parts to start a new build. I’m thinking bandit for speed��

RC Qualifier
    That's the best thing about this hobby; you can build what makes you happy.