RC Enthusiast

i need an new ECS !!!

i need a new ecs for the rustler 4x4 but dont know which brands are reliable.
    this will replace the stock ecs. battery's used are 5000 3's lipo from traxxas

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go with Castle, Hobbywing, is a Tekin. Oh and itís ESC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I've heard great things about this ESC, i'm gonna try it down the line. It can even run 4s!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-E...gAAOSwHKVc0PM-

Though you need to solder your own connectors and get a program card to use it to its full capacity

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-L...ss!79109!US!-1

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3070X

Good luck finding what you like, can't wait to see what you choose

Onyx
    I'm Just A Guy With A Sl4sh

RC Enthusiast
    which castle would work in the rustler 4x4?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

i need an new ECS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by primal basher View Post
    which castle would work in the rustler 4x4?
    Iíd oversize to the MMX. I have one and itís a beast in a 1/10 scale vehicle.
    I also have the HW SC8-WP and itís very good as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’d oversize to the MMX. I have one and it’s a beast in a 1/10 scale vehicle.
    I also have the HW SC8-WP and it’s very good as well.

thanks for the help

RC poster
    try looking at the hobbywing quicrun 8bl150. i have one in my rusty and it is amazing for the price.

By far my favorite esc is the Mamba X esc by Castle Creations. It is a strong esc with almost limitless ways to program it using the Castle Creations software.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer

i need an new ECS !!!

Seems like both Castle & Hobbywing combos are the go to combo.

Iím going to be looking for one soon as well. Does either one hold its value better if/when it comes time to selling your RC vehicle?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    When selling a used RC, value doesnít seem to hold up very well even with top notch products like castle creations installed. You might get a few more bucks over stock, but most of the time the value takes a 50% drop when selling as most people like to customize their own way when they buy. Just my experience.

Short answer: nope.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by primal basher View Post
    i need a new ecs for the rustler 4x4 but dont know which brands are reliable.
    this will replace the stock ecs. battery's used are 5000 3's lipo from traxxas
    Iíve had castles for a while and have had a really good overall experience. I recently picked up the Mamba X 1/10 for our 2WD Rustler, and I also got that b-link they offer. Being able to adjust the settings on the fly from your phone is pretty great. I donít know why I waited so long to get it- totally worth the expense.

For ESC, I'd suggest HW. As for motor, you can't go wrong with HW, Tekin, Fantom, or Team Powers. Between my vehicles, I have at least one motor from each...but ALL are running HW ESCs.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer

i need an new ECS !!!

I actually had the castle sidewinder 3 combo on a rustler 2wd and mini revo a few years ago. Castle had excellent customer support. I was surprised that they actually honored their 1 year warranty and replaced a motor with broken shaft. And without a fuss.

I also had the sc8 combo on the slash 4x4 Lcg - never had any issues with that.

On a more recent endeavor I had the HW quicrun 16bl30 esc combo on a couple of latrax cars. One of the ESCs burned out within the warranty period. I emailed their warranty support and
    they said their ďwarranty was not automaticĒ and offered to send a new one for $18 which is $6 cheaper than buying from else where. I ended up buying a new esc from eBay.

I did not fight it at all and I will not hold that decision against them. After all we did gear the car for speed it and the ESC did run very hot. But that is part of the hobby I guess.

So just from my prior experience I think castleís customer support is one thing better.
    Otherwise (being extremely naive here) I think between castle and HW, the comparable spec ESCs all do just about the same thing - delivery current to the motor.

PS. I donít race but just bash & speed run to burn some time with kid . So Iím kind of a novice at comparing detailed specs within the ESCs.

For any ESC upgrade this time Iím thinking to go with castle. Maybe a mamba x, probably get it used from eBay. Would like to get a sensored system this time tough but castle seems to have a lot of options and it is confusing which one would work on the r4x4.

Last edited by MiniElmo; 09-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.