Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202

    Mamba X / 2400kv

    I currently have an RX8 paired with a 4300kv pro4HD motor and the power is plentiful! But I'm a castle fan and I have a new mamba X esc which I really like. The castle 3800kv motor is a lot smaller than the tekin pro4HD so may be missing some power.

    I was curious on the castle 2400kv it seems to be more on par with the tekin but I don't know if I'll need to run 3s or if I gear it for equal speed as the tekin will it be as fast? The motor is updated with sensors and I like the sensored motors and even more like the castle waterproof just in case.

    I mostly run it racing for fun and i plan on selling the tekin set up so just looking for feedback on the 2400kv motor, I know the esc is great.

    Thanks.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    245
    If you don't already have the castle motor look at hobbystar motors. Preformance of them is pretty close to castle motors but cheaper. With lower kv you will have to gear it up but that's to be expected. If you already have the castle motor, toss it in and see how it does.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    If you don't already have the castle motor look at hobbystar motors. Preformance of them is pretty close to castle motors but cheaper. With lower kv you will have to gear it up but that's to be expected. If you already have the castle motor, toss it in and see how it does.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I dont have the motor just yet, I do have the 3800kv but like I mentioned its tiny. If the 2400kv castle is as good as some of the other motors I'd get it.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    245
    Here's a link to the motor I'd recommend https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F181984860615


    It really doesn't matter wich brand you go with. Both will preform great

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    I was looking at the hobby star and they look like copies of Tekin pro4HD motors which is good and they have 3500 / 4300 kv options which is good. But being in Canada paying exchange and shipping from a US seller the hobby star is only $20 less than a genuine castle which I can get quick and would for sure be easier to get warranty if needed. I do like the black can tho. Will match the black mamba x esc very nice.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    I was looking at the hobby star and they look like copies of Tekin pro4HD motors which is good and they have 3500 / 4300 kv options which is good. But being in Canada paying exchange and shipping from a US seller the hobby star is only $20 less than a genuine castle which I can get quick and would for sure be easier to get warranty if needed. I do like the black can tho. Will match the black mamba x esc very nice.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    In your particular situation it seems like the castle would be the better option then. Whichever you get, Definitely let us know how it performs when you get it set up

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,963
    Just a couple thoughts. You'll likely have to gear way up and run a 3s pack to match the speed of that 4300kv you currently run, Both those 2400s will make enough torque so expect additional upgrades if you have not done so. That Hobbystar is true 1/8th scale motor in a 4068 can while the 2400 is a big 1/10th scale being in a 3670 can. While both are 2400kv I expect they'll perform slightly different.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Just a couple thoughts. You'll likely have to gear way up and run a 3s pack to match the speed of that 4300kv you currently run, Both those 2400s will make enough torque so expect additional upgrades if you have not done so. That Hobbystar is true 1/8th scale motor in a 4068 can while the 2400 is a big 1/10th scale being in a 3670 can. While both are 2400kv I expect they'll perform slightly different.
    Gearing up to an 18-20t Pinon with a 52t spur would probably be insane top speed and I'm willing to bet those motors would be able to handle it without overheating.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    I tried the castle 3500kv, I didnt want to as I was going to return it or exchange for the 2400kv. I only got it because in Canada RV parts get expensive and the new 3500/mamba x sensored combo was about the same price as a new gen 3 RX8 esc.

    The full system is notiably lighter, mostly because the motor is significantly smaller. The power is surprisingly close to the tekin, although castles sensored isnt as silkly as tekin. I may keep this motor in and use my 2nd mamba x and a 2400kv in the tekno sct410.3 which basically has a 1/8 drive line and will handle the power easy.

    For anyone wondering the mamba x is a premium looking esc, the case is aluminum and its thinner (lower) than the rx8, a lot cheaper too. Hopefully soon castle link app will work with android and I can check/ change parameters with my phone over bluetooth

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    Gearing up to an 18-20t Pinon with a 52t spur would probably be insane top speed and I'm willing to bet those motors would be able to handle it without overheating.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Correct! I currently run a 4074 2150kv geared 20/50 on a 3s...it's a torque monster and runs mid 40s mph without getting hot. I also have a Kershaw 2700kv in 3674 can that is crazy fast.....on a 4s the Slash thinks it can fly...lol Still never gets hot.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 05-31-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Correct! I currently run a 4074 2150kv geared 20/50 on a 3s...it's a torque monster and runs mid 40s mph without getting hot. I also have a Kershaw 2700kv in 3674 can that is crazy fast.....on a 4s the Slash thinks it can fly...lol Still never gets hot.
    Good to know. Those sound like some fun trucks

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    I currently have an RX8 paired with a 4300kv pro4HD motor and the power is plentiful! But I'm a castle fan and I have a new mamba X esc which I really like. The castle 3800kv motor is a lot smaller than the tekin pro4HD so may be missing some power.

    I was curious on the castle 2400kv it seems to be more on par with the tekin but I don't know if I'll need to run 3s or if I gear it for equal speed as the tekin will it be as fast? The motor is updated with sensors and I like the sensored motors and even more like the castle waterproof just in case.

    I mostly run it racing for fun and i plan on selling the tekin set up so just looking for feedback on the 2400kv motor, I know the esc is great.

    Thanks.

    Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    I will say this, the 2400kv motor has been my favorite every since it was released! The sensored 2400kv 5mm shaft paired with the Mamba X esc is the El Sob special motor system 2.0! I highly recommend it ♡
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    All I can add is that the Castle 2400 is hey Beast. I have one with 20 40 gearing and it will do 78280 on 4S. You will be needing to update the complete drivetrain though. LOL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •