Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    After some trials & tribulations my Rusty is working - when I tried to connect the BEC I got a fast flashing green light... turns out there is a bad channel on the receiver as I was able to get everything working after trying a few different channels.[/img]

Anyone know what rod end I need to repair a Hot Racing swaybar? I've gotten zero response from email so far.
    Just curious, but what channel(s) did you initially try? Assuming you're using the stock Rx, not all of the ports on the Rx are "channels". For the BEC, the most likely ports...probably, the only correct ports...to use are the Ch 3, or Ch 4, ports (ie. the two immediately above the two used by the ESC & servo). The others should be avoided.

Starting with the port below the two used by the ESC & servo (ie. the second Channel 1 port), that's for use in vehicles utilizing a dual-servo setup (ie. the E-Revo), so that's NOT one to plug the BEC into. The top two, in their own 'section' are for telemetry, so those are also NOT to be used for the BEC. In the main section, the top one (just below the two previously-mentioned) is labeled "Batt/Ch 5). Honestly, I'm uncertain as to whether, or not, you can use that for the BEC. I haven't figured that one out...but, as I'm replacing my Traxxas units with Futaba, I don't have to think about it anymore.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Been almost 3wks since anyone's posted in here...and I'm the last person to post...so, here's my latest "update", as minimal as it is. I only had 15-20min to work on my Rustler conversion project today, so did the shortest, & simplest, thing needing to be done - drilling out the hub extensions. It's (somewhat) quick, but not as simple as I thought it would be.

I purchased Hot Racing 15mm aluminum hub extensions, designed for the Axial crawlers. The problem was, while the part of the axle closest to the vehicle is 5mm, that's only for the first 6-8mm of the axle stub...after that, it drops down to slightly less than 4mm. So, in order to get the hub extensions to work on the Rusty, I had to drill them out to 5mm.

The first problem, which I resolved several days ago, was finding metric drill bits. Found several on Amazon & eBay, but, considering the super-cheap prices, I doubted they'd last beyond this project...IF, that is, they later even that long. Home Depot carries some, but being "industrial machinery grade", a 6-piece set was over $100. Thankfully, Granger had a few beans of decent-enough quality sets, made using high-speed steel, in the $30-60 range...got myself a 9-piece set for less than $45.

Next problem...a directly work the 5mm bit was a "bad idea" - it bound-up almost immediately. So, changing tactics, I first drilled out all 4 using the 4mm bit, them repeated the prices using the 4.5mm bit, and, finally, repeated the process using the 5mm bit. In the end, I was 'rewarded' with four 15mm hub extensions that perfectly fit the Rusty's 5mm axle stubs. Tomorrow, whole my car is being worked on, I'm hoping to finish this project, not counting the electronics, or painting of the body.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Today I procrastinated putting the metal shock caps on my blown out shocks...but I did buy ANOTHER Rustler though....this one is going to be a custom project and not a runner.
    I have some ideas I'm planning on trying out with it requiring some fabrication to transform it into something unique. It's a double-secret project!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Today I procrastinated putting the metal shock caps on my blown out shocks...but I did buy ANOTHER Rustler though....this one is going to be a custom project and not a runner.
    I have some ideas I'm planning on trying out with it requiring some fabrication to transform it into something unique. It's a double-secret project!
    In other words, you don't have a clue, yet? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    In other words, you don't have a clue, yet? Lol

I do have a clue...I'm being completely transparent about that but not with any details yet as I'm not quite sure if it's going to work...AND...Like many of my projects, start/finish dates are highly subjective and quite elusive. In other words...I often start other projects in the middle of current projects and, well, outcomes can become quite sketchy! LOL

I did go far enough to buy a whole new vehicle for the project though...so that's some type of commitment at least!

Then again, I did buy stuff for the current three or ninety projects also.
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-29-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Sounds just like me. Although, I will mention that, for two other projects that are in various stages, instead of purchasing entirely new vehicles, I thought it best to purchase (new) rolling chassis...far less money (approx $100 each), no wasted electronics (since I knew I wouldn't be using any of the Traxxas electronics), and no wasted body (since I wouldn't be using those, either). On one of them, the seller already took care of dying the chassis pan black (I'll do the other, as I already have the RIT dye, which I used on the first Rusty).

Sounds just like me. Although, I will mention that, for two other projects that are in various stages, instead of purchasing entirely new vehicles, I thought it best to purchase (new) rolling chassis...far less money (approx $100 each), no wasted electronics (since I knew I wouldn't be using any of the Traxxas electronics), and no wasted body (since I wouldn't be using those, either). On one of them, the seller already took care of dying the chassis pan black (I'll do the other, as I already have the RIT dye, which I used on the first Rusty).

Makes sense...I needed pristine parts and will use all stock electronics...buying a whole car was cheaper than buying all new parts separately for me.

Understandable...even in real cars, "the parts cost more than the whole". While I am replacing the electronics in the Rusty I purchased, I am keeping them as "backup" for all three vehicles. If anything happened to any of the electronics on any of the three, at least if still be able to run that vehicle while awaiting a reply for the affected part.

Getting back to my project, I discovered yesterday that the adjustable-hight body mounts won't work (at least on the Rusty, but I'm holding onto them for the Slash project). Looks like I'm now needing to order the TRA6815R body mounts...another delay.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 08-30-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Getting back to my project, I discovered yesterday that the adjustable-hight body mounts won't work (at least on the Rusty, but I'm holding onto them for the Slash project).
    For my non-Rustler scale shelf queens I'm going to be using custom mounts with magnets so there will be no pins showing...then again those bodies will not be run to where they need more than that.

As for the Rusty...I had to buyA-Arms today! The one time I ran it on 3s I blew out the front shocks and apparently tore one A-Arm off the pin in the front.

...just reenforces my Tim Taylor theory...add power and break stuff!
    Last edited by USMC1984; 08-30-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Today, started the "final step" - the body. Got the body prepped, taped-up, & the first color sprayed. Tomorrow, I'll get body mounts installed, the second color sprayed...and, if time permits, maybe even the third color. Colors will be blue, red, yellow, black, silver, and titanium.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC poster
    Installed GTR Shocks with 50WT Oil and VG Racing Springs on. (Ultra caps kept popping off and oil was getting all over)
    Changed out the A arms to the Green colored A arms. (Mostly because I broke the Front Right Pin hole)
    Put on the Traxxas ESC Fan. (ESC would previously shutdown after 8-9 minutes due to thermal throttling)

Had the car for about 2 weeks now, went through 10 battery packs of time, made all these changes on 9/15...not today

RC poster
    Today I installed the MIP X-duty CVD's on the front and back, as well as Proline Trencher Belted HP tires front and back.

Today I finished my "conversion" project...well, at least that was the plan. Unfortunately, despite what Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith would always say, a plan doesn't always 'come together'. I trimmed the body, and went to test-fit it...only to discover a problem...which led to another, and then another.

First problem - the body sits way too high above the chassis, as the JConcepts Suspension Conversion Kit's carbon fiber towers were too tall (the front is the save height as the rear, thus the reason XXL GTR shocks were to be used front & rear. To resolve this, I needed shorter shock towers. Unfortunately, even using the front Slash 4x4 tower at both ends was still too high...I need even shorter towers (I'll save what I ended up using for the sperate thread I'll be creating soon).

Second problem - even with the shortest towers I was able to find, in using the body mounts, the body still sat too high. I tried installing the body mounts upside-down, so that they curved downward, instead of upward. While this did get the body closer to the chassis, it still wasn't low enough. I solved this problem by some serious modifications to the body mounts (all I'll say here is that some heavy Dremel work, as well as CA & Loctite glues, was involved.

Third (and, hopefully, final) problem - After solving the shock tower & body mount problems, reaming to holes to mount the body, and discovering that everything is "as good as it's going to get" (the heavily-modified front body mount leaves approx 1mm between the top of the shock tower & body), I finally installed the shocks...only to discover that the chassis sits too high. Because of the switch to shorter shock towers, the XXL shocks have my "converted" Rusty a 'monster truck appearance'. Unfortunately, my LHS only had one pair of the 'Long' in-stock, and they were black (I'm going with blue)...so, I had him order 2 pair of 'Long' (TRA7461) shocks, which should arrive on Wednesday.

Guess completion of my "conversion" project has been delayed once again. So, in the meantime, I'll start building my TLR 22T 4.0 (2WD competition-grade 1/10 Stadium Truck).

RC poster
    Not much... just heavy bashing.

I did throw on a set of MX28 Badlands and trimmed the body a bit, and dropped the gearing for heat consideration

The anti turtle feature does work consistently with the MX28 installed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123