RC Competitor

Q for those that have switched to Aluminum C-Hubs

So, I picked up some Aluminum C-Hubs/Steering Blocks from the Slash Ultimate a while ago. I noticed when I was installing them on my Rustler 4x4, that the pin that goes thru the end of the A-Arm, and secures the C-hub seemed a little short... like the smaller diameter 'tip' at the end should have been longer. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a different PN that I should be using to secure the Aluminum C-Hub to the A-Arm?

I checked the Traxxas Parts lists, and it seems to indicate that for both the Rustler 4x4, and the Slash Ultimate that it's secured with PN 6834 (that includes the pins at the bulkhead as well as the part that I'm curious about: the screw that holds on the C-Block). I had been hoping that I'd find a different PN called on the Slash Ultimate, so I could just purchase that one, but no love.

When I first installed the Aluminum blocks on the Rustler 4x4, I noticed this 'shortness' of fastener, but did not sweat it too much, as I'm pretty sure that the shortness of the pin was visible in a you-tube video that I saw about this upgrade. Jump to 6:03 in this video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNpEluUYnk) and you can see what I'm talking about.

I got concerned about this after landing a jump at the skatepark really flat, and had the small end of the pin pop out (setting the bottom of the C-block free, and making the front-end all 'broke'). The other end of the pin was screwed securely into the A-Arm, so clearly the A-Arm flexed enough to allow the smaller end to pop out. I can replace the A-Arm with a fresh one, but was wondering if there was some other fastener that I should be using.

Thanks in advance for the advice --BillJ

I noticed that too with my Slash Platinum. I plan on measuring the size this afternoon and see how it compares to the STRC pins I have on my Slash 2wd.
    The Super Derecho

Personally, I don't have any experience with the Traxxas-made parts...but, I am VERY interested in a real-world usability comparison between them, and the STRC versions, as I want to upgrade the parts on my Slash 4x4, as well as my other Rustler 4x4.

Until recently, I'd been using the STRC steering hubs & C-blocks on one of my Rustler 4x4s, without any problems. However, having recently installed the JConcepts Suspension Conversion Kit, I replaced the STRC C-blocks with the C-blocks included in the JConcepts kit, which are smaller, yet designed to be stronger. As I haven't quite finished this Rusty's "conversion", I haven't decided yet whether I'll keep the JConcepts C-blocks installed, return to the STRC, or possibly switch to the Traxxas.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

If you're talking about that lower pin through the a-arm/c-block, I use E-maxx pins and cut them to length on my Slash 4x4 ultimate

Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I measured the STRC pins I have on my Slash 2wd. The width of the rear arm/carrier is about the same width of the 4wd fronts. None of the other pin lengths are similar so it would be a waste to spend $15 to use just two. The E-Maxx mod looks like a good idea. I think I have Revo pins lying around I may be able to use.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    If you're talking about that lower pin through the a-arm/c-block, I use E-maxx pins and cut them to length on my Slash 4x4 ultimate

That looks like a great solution, only when I go looking at the E-Maxx exploded view (https://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/3905_front.pdf), it seems to have Revo-style dual A-Arms with ball ends (no Rustler/Slash style pins at the wheel-end of the A-Arm).

Do you have a PN for the E-Maxx pins that you are using?

Thanks --BillJ

Must be the inner pins...5161? Sorry don't have the pkg anymore

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/E-...Front-Assembly
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Many Thanks, Dcuda69!

Traxxas 5161 plus a little dremel-work (to cut the longer E-Maxx pins down to Ruster-size, and then bevel the tip nice-n-smooth) got the job done quite nicely!

I left mine just long enough to be able to feel a 'bump' on the front side of the aluminum C-Block, and it seems much more secure to my lay-mans-eyes.

I owe ya an "adult beverage of your choice" Dcuda69. I really do appreciate the assistance. Thanks!! --BillJ

Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Many Thanks, Dcuda69!

Traxxas 5161 plus a little dremel-work (to cut the longer E-Maxx pins down to Ruster-size, and then bevel the tip nice-n-smooth) got the job done quite nicely!

I left mine just long enough to be able to feel a 'bump' on the front side of the aluminum C-Block, and it seems much more secure to my lay-mans-eyes.

I owe ya an "adult beverage of your choice" Dcuda69. I really do appreciate the assistance. Thanks!! --BillJ
    Glad it worked out for ya! I got that tip from someone over on the Slash 4x4 sub-forum....ElSob maybe? Happy to share what little I know! As for the beverage....,.that's my other hobby.....home brewing!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Glad it worked out for ya! I got that tip from someone over on the Slash 4x4 sub-forum....ElSob maybe? Happy to share what little I know! As for the beverage....,.that's my other hobby.....home brewing!!
    It is a great mod! I have done it to several different trucks. I have not thought about this in some time
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for passing it along to the rest of us. I agree that it's a great mod. I'm a little surprised that Traxxas does not ship slightly longer pins with the aluminum upgrade parts, but so be it.
    Thanks again --BillJ