RC poster

Just Purchased Rustler

Good Afternoon fine folks,
    Beginner here to the RC once again ( had them when I was a kid, now 38) Brother got one for me for xmas. So my initial question is, I plan to use completely recreational, just using it here and there, Ive been youtubing all the "upgrades" from shocks, aluminum caps, tires, etc. Does anyone recommend some intial upgrades I should shoot for? My idea would be something that can help prevent breaking of pieces from original stock to allow longevity.

Appreciate any help

If you do recommend any upgrades kindly list as well, Amazon is filled with all kinds and want to make sure I am getting correct one.

Thanks,
    Andy

RC Competitor
    Welcome back to the RC Playground, Andy! :-)

Honestly, I'd just drive the thing, and see what (if anything) you feel is lacking. Then you can go and address the items that YOU feel are needing addressing (as opposed to dropping cash on stuff that folks other than you felt needed addressing).

For ME, the only thing that I felt that I NEEDED to address as soon as I got the car was the aluminum bearing adapter (vs stock plastic) for the slipper clutch PN 6893X. It's a 'maintenance' item, but something that is a little buried in the car so I wanted to address it BEFORE it could become a problem. My concern was that since it was a little buried, that I might overlook it as it was failing, and then that could cause other parts to fail. Oh, and at $5, it was cheap insurance.

The other items that I changed out quickly were the stock shocks for a set of Traxxas GTR shocks from one of the chop-shops on eBay. The stock shocks performed OK enough, but the shock shafts got bent kinda quickly (note that my boy and I had ZERO RC experience going into this, so our poor driving likely influenced the shock shafts bending early). The GTR shocks have larger diameter shafts, and we have not bent a GTR shock shaft since they got installed, approx 9 months ago. NOTE that the GTR shock bodies (not just the shaft) are a larger diameter than the stock UltraShocks, so you'll need springs that fit the GTRs (all the more reason to get 'em from a chop-shop). There are other shock options with larger diameter shafts, so don't go feeling like you have to go with the GTRs.

Have Fun! --BillJ
    Last edited by Single_Trac; 12-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.

RC poster
    Bill, thank you for the tips. As you mentioned I will certainly take it for a run on its stock build and go from there. Appreciate taking the time to throw some advice my way. Look forward to having fun again!

First, welcome back, Andy. You're in the same position I was a year ago (35+ year absence from RC)...and, like you, I got back into RC starting with the Rusty 4x4 VXL. Now, a year later, you really don't wanna know how many vehicles I've got. Let's just say, the RC bug bit HARD. Honestly, I can recommend several upgrades, starting with the shocks.

The plastic caps WILL pop off, ending your enjoyment good that day. For this, you have three options:
    1) Cheap - replace the plastic caps with the optional aluminum caps (approx $15)
    2) Expensive (but better) - completely replace the shocks, with aluminum shocks (the Traxxas GTR (TRA7461X & TRA7462X) shocks are outstanding, but will cost approx $70)
    3) "In the middle" - replace the front shocks with aluminum shocks (GTR), and replace the rear plastic caps with aluminum caps. This is the route I helped my step-dad go (got him a 2WD Slash for Father's Day).

Besides the shocks, you'll probably want to replace the Traxxas steering servo work something more powerful (and higher quality). I'd suggest something with approx twice the torque, and something from Hitec, Savox, ECOpower, or ProTek (one of Amain's "in-house" brands). Also, replace the plastic carriers, C-hubs, & steering blocks witj aluminum parts (but NEVER replace the A-arms with aluminum...stick to plastic for A-arms), as well as the motor mount plate. For the motor mount plate, I HIGHLY recommend King Headz (be certain to order the correct version, as the standard & LCG chassis' user different motor mount plate designs - 'LCG' would be the Rustler VXL). As for the Other parts, Traxxas or STRC is a great way to go.

Beyond those upgrades, there are numerous options. I opted to get the Lunsford Ti turnbuckles & axle pins, and I've switched all the bearings (except the motor bearings) to ceramic bearings...of course, I've also been converting my Rustler into a race vehicle (unless the body is removed, and you look at the chassis, itself, you wouldn't even recognize mine as a "Rustler").

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    So I purchased before this last post the following:
    DDIRC Pro
    6-Pack Aluminum Caster Blocks, Steering Blocks and Rear Stub Axle Carriers Upgrade for 1/10 Traxxas 2WD Slash Stampede Rustler Replace 3632 3736 3752 Blue-Anodized

Duratrax Six Pack MT 2.8" 1/10 RC Monster Truck Tires with Foam Inserts: C2 Soft, Mounted, 6-Spoke Rear Wheels, Black, Set of 2

I will look into the shocks as you mentioned next

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Playthehits View Post
    DDIRC Pro
    6-Pack Aluminum Caster Blocks, Steering Blocks and Rear Stub Axle Carriers Upgrade for 1/10 Traxxas 2WD Slash Stampede Rustler Replace 3632 3736 3752 Blue-Anodized

Duratrax Six Pack MT 2.8" 1/10 RC Monster Truck Tires with Foam Inserts: C2 Soft, Mounted, 6-Spoke Rear Wheels, Black, Set of 2

Updated:
    So what I have purchased are the following:
    -Aluminum Caster Blocks, Steering Blocks & Rear Stub Axle Carriers
    -Duratrax MT 2.8 Monster Truck Tires
    -RPM Wide Front Bumper
    -Aluminum Front/Rear A-Arms
    -Aluminum Front/Rear Shocks
    -Wheelie Bar
    -Aluminum Turnbuckles & F/R Camber Links

I fear I jumped the gun on the upgrades and reading not so good reviews on aluminum. Is that the case?

RC poster
    Anyone have advice on the duratrax tires I purchased, they are rubbing on the body when the car turns. I know there hex extenders but heard you have to potentially drill a hole bigger for the pins? Is it just easier to cut the body? Any help would be appreciated

RC Competitor
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the duratrax tires/wheels (or hub extensions, for that matter).
    I did once purchase a set of Proline Badlands MX28 wheels/tires with the WRONG offset, and they rubbed on my Rustler 4x4 even when the car was sitting still... oops. I gave some consideration to getting some hex extenders, but ended up purchasing a second set of wheels/tires with the correct offset (and have the wrong-offset set gathering dust in the garage). Once I had wheels and tires with the correct offset for the vehicle, the Proline MX28 Badlands worked great on the Rustler 4x4.

I'm not sure if duratrax (like Proline) sells wheels/tires in different offsets, but it seems reasonable to go back and double-check that you got the right ones for the rustler 4x4 (as opposed to the 2WD version). I had purchased mine from a forum (private-party) so had no real options regarding returning/exchanging them If you got yours from your Local Hobby Shop or other retailer that has a fair return/exchange policy, it hopefully is as simple as exchanging them for a set with the correct offset (ASSuming that is the issue).

Good Luck, sorry that I could not be more help --BillJ

RC Racer
    Anyone have advice on the duratrax tires I purchased, they are rubbing on the body when the car turns. I know there hex extenders but heard you have to potentially drill a hole bigger for the pins? Is it just easier to cut the body? Any help would be appreciated
    You bought the larger 2.8 Monster Truck tires, the rustler 4x4 is a stadium truck and uses slightly smaller tires. You should have bought a set of tires that said ST, for stadium truck. You could see if you could get them swapped, or get hex extenders so they will clear the body.

So your options are;
    1. See if you can swap them out from where you bought them
    2. Buy some hex extenders
    3. Buy another set of Duratrax in their ST size.

Here are a few different Duratrax tires in ST size for you.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133246359808

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292876084492

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362692144470

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    DDIRC Pro

I have to ask:
    You are posting in the Rustler 4x4 section, but the parts you've bought are for the 2WD - so which one do you have?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I have to ask:
    You are posting in the Rustler 4x4 section, but the parts you've bought are for the 2WD - so which one do you have?
    My apologies, I saw Rustler in the title and assumed it was the same, I do not have the 4x4, just the 2WD.

Sorry about the confusion

RC Qualifier
    No worries!
    I just wondered since most of the answers adresses the 4x4 model.

The Rustler 2WD forum is here:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/forumdisp...Rustler-Bandit