RC poster

Rustler VXL 4x4 questions please help! (Just purchased)

Hello community,

I just bought the VXL and have done a few upgrades to the car so far. I have broken a rear axle shaft and I am curious if I can swap a front axle shaft to the rear. In doing so I was also wondering if I could remove the center driveshaft to make it RWD only for the time being. Money is tight right now and I donít want to have to buy new parts to keep the joy of bashing alive. Thank you all for reading this and I hope to get some positive feedback.

What do the exploded views tell you with relation to the axle shafts?
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Good idea. I’ll look at the manual. I was just curious if anybody has taken their center driveshaft out of the car to make it RWD.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyadon44 View Post
    Money is tight right now and I don’t want to have to buy new parts to keep the joy of bashing alive. Thank you all for reading this and I hope to get some positive feedback.
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but bashing is abusive and that leads to a money-pit!

Racing on pavement or the track is generally safe. Yes, some parts will inevitably be broken. But if you're looking to launch off a ramp at 50+ MPH, you are going to break something. FACT!

Traxxas vehicles are engineered pretty robust, but they're not invincible.

Respect physics

RC poster
    Alright well maybe I did get a little bit crazy after re-gearing and upgrading to the 3 cell lipo. I’ve learned my lesson. Haha

RC poster
    I broke the inner UV joint on the rear driveshaft, so stole one from the front and took the front axles out to make RWD while I wait for my new parts to arrive. 2WD is better than 0WD!

RC poster
    How did you take the front axle out and still have a wheel attached to the car? I was considering that when I broke my first rear axle but found that without an axle in the front the wheel couldn't be attached.

RC poster
    I was wondering the same, if the driveshaft can be removed and safely driven RWD? My guess is that you should be okay but to take is easy.

RC poster
    I just removed the drive shaft and the Metal UV Ball near the stub axle. I did it with the driveshaft out. It comes out with a bit of force. In 2WD i've been thrashing it and it's held up fine. The maximum torque the rear driveshaft sees when set up in 2wd is actually about the same as in 4x4 anyway. I would aussume the maximum torque happens when you're accelerating from a stop and you're power wheeling so in 4x4 there is minimal torque going through the front drive shafts, and nearly all going to the rear wheels.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hudso8 View Post
    I was wondering the same, if the driveshaft can be removed and safely driven RWD? My guess is that you should be okay but to take is easy.
    I did that for a little bit with my stampede 4x4 when my front drive hub was broken. I took the driveshaft out and it made a weird wobbling rattling sound. I feel like it would be far safer just to disconnect the front two driveshafts and take them out for the time being. That way, everything is in line and the front diff is turning like it would regularly, its just that power wouldnt be delivered to the front wheels.

I guess the only thing that you could really damage is the spur gear as a result of it wiggling around. Seeing as you are on a tight budget, I suggest the first option.