RC Competitor

Question Tekno M6 rear driveshaft set

Hey all. So I broke a stock plastic driveshaft doing wheelies on 3s and ordered the Tekno M6 rear kit for my rustler 4x4. Installation was easy, took 15 mins to do both sides, everything went together very well.

Now I ran my rustler on 3s and everything was fine for the test run. About a week later, I took my rustler out again for a run on 3s. Iím doing some speed runs up and down the street, and I notice I have no power to the rear wheels. I bring it inside and discover that the axle pin had stripped out the inside of the hex adapter. Iíve never seen that before, or have had it happen. I was thinking I stripped the stock talon ext rim.

Have any of you all experienced this?

RC Qualifier
    People have reported the soft 12mm plastic hexes that come with the M6 driveshafts. I have two sets front+rear M6 on one Rustl4r and one Sl4sh and I just got the Tekno 17mm adapters to get it over with and they are fantastic.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I was thinking about just upgrading to 17mm hexes and be done with 12mm. Just didn’t know if I did anything wrong. Thanks

Instead of using 12mm-to-17mm adapters, you might first two replacing the 12mm plastic hexes with 12mm aluminum hexes w/ 6mm hole...Traxxas part TRA6869. These were developed for the XO-1, but should work.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Instead of using 12mm-to-17mm adapters, you might first two replacing the 12mm plastic hexes with 12mm aluminum hexes w/ 6mm hole...Traxxas part TRA6869. These were developed for the XO-1, but should work.

I would just Use the Tekno part number TKR1654-17. It has the part that replaces the m6 axle pins, cheaper than metal hexes plus 12-17mm adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I would just Use the Tekno part number TKR1654-17. It has the part that replaces the m6 axle pins, cheaper than metal hexes plus 12-17mm adapters.
    The part you're suggesting is an adapter kit. The part I'm suggesting is a metal (aluminium) 12mm hex w/ 6mm hole. Also, while the adapter kit you're suggesting is $3 cheaper, the end-cost is actually higher, as you also need to consider the additional cost of new wheels w/ 17mm hexes. The Traxxas part I suggested fits wheels w/ 12mm hexes. One final point - the adapter kit you're suggesting uses additional parts, and will be heavier (if the vehicle is sheet to be used for racing, lighter is better).

Between the Traxxas & Tekno solutions, going the Traxxas route is simpler (less parts) & lighter. Also, having fewer parts, there's less to "go wrong". Whether you're talking something electronic, or something mechanical, using 'adapters' is rarely a "smart move", as you increase the number of possible "problem points". Imagine have a battery with a Deans connector, and using a Deans-to-Traxxas adapter...or, worse, a Deans-to-XT60 adapter, followed by an XT60-to-Traxxas adapter. Starting to understand? 'Adapters' are not a good thing, and (again, whether dealing with electronic, or mechanical, matters) should only be used when absolutely necessary. In this case, it's not "absolutely necessary", as there's a simpler, smarter, more-efficient solution...not to mention one that easier, and takes less time, to install/remove, thus maintenance is also easier/faster.

Last edited by Panther6834; 06-01-2019 at 07:07 PM.

RC Competitor
    I appreciate all of your input. I’m sold on trying out the aluminum 12mm hex adapters. I will order some and try them out. If I were to look into going to 17mm hexes, is there a particular brand you could suggest? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I appreciate all of your input. Iím sold on trying out the aluminum 12mm hex adapters. I will order some and try them out. If I were to look into going to 17mm hexes, is there a particular brand you could suggest? Thanks
    If I were switching to 17mm, the Tekno kit.

RC Qualifier
    The part you're suggesting is an adapter kit. The part I'm suggesting is a metal (aluminium) 12mm hex w/ 6mm hole. Also, while the adapter kit you're suggesting is $3 cheaper, the end-cost is actually higher, as you also need to consider the additional cost of new wheels w/ 17mm hexes. The Traxxas part I suggested fits wheels w/ 12mm hexes. One final point - the adapter kit you're suggesting uses additional parts, and will be heavier (if the vehicle is sheet to be used for racing, lighter is better).

Between the Traxxas & Tekno solutions, going the Traxxas route is simpler (less parts) & lighter. Also, having fewer parts, there's less to "go wrong". Whether you're talking something electronic, or something mechanical, using 'adapters' is rarely a "smart move", as you increase the number of possible "problem points". Imagine have a battery with a Deans connector, and using a Deans-to-Traxxas adapter...or, worse, a Deans-to-XT60 adapter, followed by an XT60-to-Traxxas adapter. Starting to understand? 'Adapters' are not a good thing, and (again, whether dealing with electronic, or mechanical, matters) should only be used when absolutely necessary. In this case, it's not "absolutely necessary", as there's a simpler, smarter, more-efficient solution...not to mention one that easier, and takes less time, to install/remove, thus maintenance is also easier/faster.

Calling 1654-17 an adapter kit is kind of splitting hair here. 1654-17 is Tekno product that replaces the whole axle pin so you end up with the same number of modules, either the original m6 axle pin with 12mm metal hexes, or the Teknoís own alternative. axle pin with the 17mm end.

No need for all these quotes just to put down an all Tekno set up that is arguably one of the best set ups out there as if itís some afterthought addd on part from Integy or something.

Starting to understand?
    Do you see why your battery example doesnít work here?

I wasn't putting down the Tekno kit at all. If you read the post about what is suggest if switching to 17mm, my answer was...the Tekno 17mm adapter kit.

RC Competitor
    Instead of using 12mm-to-17mm adapters, you might first two replacing the 12mm plastic hexes with 12mm aluminum hexes w/ 6mm hole...Traxxas part TRA6869.
    Same thing happened to me as Rocketzx1, only I was running everything stock with a 3s battery. The immense torque will just deform one of the plastic hexes and it's all over.

When I went to the local shop for a replacement, I saw they had the aluminum ones. So far haven't had a single problem, and I've been laying on the power pretty hard.

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a concern using aluminum hexes on plastic wheels? I know with these cars as we beef stuff up we move breakage elsewhere - I'm wondering if aluminum hexes are more likely to strip out wheels vs plastic hexes self-destructing. I want to make the truck tough but I also don't want to move weak points to more expensive parts or ones more difficult to swap out. Right now the only part I've toughened is to go to a Chinese "20kg" metal geared servo w/alloy horn. I'm running stock wheels as well as Duratrax 2.8 Banditos right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    Is there a concern using aluminum hexes on plastic wheels? I know with these cars as we beef stuff up we move breakage elsewhere - I'm wondering if aluminum hexes are more likely to strip out wheels vs plastic hexes self-destructing.
    There shouldn't be any worry about "stripping" the wheels. The fitment between the hexes & wheels is tight enough that there's very little (if any, at all) movement between these two parts. Also, the parts are large enough that it would take an incredible amount of torque to cause what you're worried about. Granted, I'm not running 3S (except on very rare occasions...I only have one 3S pack), as our local track only allows 2S indoors, but the gearing is set for fast speeds, and I haven't heard anyone having such a problem.

RC Competitor
    Get the Tekno Aluminum hex kit and you'll be good to go. I've been running the Tekno driveshafts and the hex kit for about 6 months now and have had no issues.

RC Racer
    I stripped a couple plastic Tekno hexes and upgraded to their 12mm aluminum. Trouble free since then.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC poster
    If you email tekno support they'll probably make it right. I've had good experience with tekno support in the past.