Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Motor decisions

  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    196

    Motor decisions

    Whatís the new go to motor since the castle 2650kv seems nonexistent? All I see on fleabay is obvious copycats. Looking for one to run with a MMX.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    144

    Motor decisions

    Sensored motor
    https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-304...g+1%2F8&sr=8-1
    https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-4-P...gateway&sr=8-2

    The only difference between sensored and sensor less is that your esc will monitor temp and thermal shut down if the motor or esc is to hot
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Overpowerxmaxx; 06-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Sensored motor
    https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-304...g+1%2F8&sr=8-1
    https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-4-P...gateway&sr=8-2

    The only difference between sensored and sensor less is that your esc will monitor temp and thermal shut down if the motor or esc is to hot
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info. I just think itís crazy that Castle is out of stock on motors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    196
    Thoughts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    144

    Motor decisions

    That motor even though it says 1/8 scale is tenth scale its dimensions are 36mm diameter 60mm length
    The other two are 42x68 and are muck better hobbywing makes a combo for their motor
    This combo is 42x74 and would work perfect in a sla4h with a motor mount
    https://www.amazon.com/38010401-Comb...gateway&sr=8-3

    The slash comes with and 3650 motor stock Vxl and with out moving the rx box nothing larger will fit and a motor mount like this would help
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...gAAOSwb3hb9xzI

    What are the goals of this bulid
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Overpowerxmaxx; 06-02-2019 at 12:14 PM.

  6. #6
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,197
    That isn't the difference in sensorless and sensored motors. The difference is in the operation of the motor. The timing in a sensored motor is precise and crisp. Sensored motors are very smooth at start up and on slow acceleration. Castle uses their " smart sense" technology so the mamba monster x isn't technically a fully sensored set up. The way it works is the motor runs sensored at low rpms and once the rpms are high enough it kicks it into sensorless operation. Sensored running produces more heat so the Castle technology is very good in principle and execution. I have multiple monster x's in a variety of vehicles and ran and owned the 2650kv, the 2200kv in both sensored and sensorless. The sensored 2200kv is by far the smoothest running 8th scale combo I've personally had. Since you can't seem to find that motor anywhere I would not hesitate to pick up a hobbystar motor. I own and like them alot. For the price they are hard to beat. You already have a great ESC, that's the most important. You will likely be happy with any decent motor in the proper size and kv of your needs. Here's a more thorough explanation of how it would apply to you.

    http://www.castlecreations.com//smart-sense

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    That isn't the difference in sensorless and sensored motors. The difference is in the operation of the motor. The timing in a sensored motor is precise and crisp. Sensored motors are very smooth at start up and on slow acceleration. Castle uses their " smart sense" technology so the mamba monster x isn't technically a fully sensored set up. The way it works is the motor runs sensored at low rpms and once the rpms are high enough it kicks it into sensorless operation. Sensored running produces more heat so the Castle technology is very good in principle and execution. I have multiple monster x's in a variety of vehicles and ran and owned the 2650kv, the 2200kv in both sensored and sensorless. The sensored 2200kv is by far the smoothest running 8th scale combo I've personally had. Since you can't seem to find that motor anywhere I would not hesitate to pick up a hobbystar motor. I own and like them alot. For the price they are hard to beat. You already have a great ESC, that's the most important. You will likely be happy with any decent motor in the proper size and kv of your needs. Here's a more thorough explanation of how it would apply to you.

    http://www.castlecreations.com//smart-sense

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. So I need to find something close to the same size as the CC 2650 and close to the same kv right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    144

    Motor decisions

    Yes
    The cc one is 42x68

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,039
    Quote Originally Posted by S0MEON3CRAZY View Post
    Thoughts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have that motor in my P4de. I really like it. Itís great on 3S and 4S. It will get hot if geared too high. Iím running 13/50 itís fast and powerful, and stays pretty cool.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    223
    Look at hobbystar 2650kv motors. Had one in my slash years ago and it was absolutely insane.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    196
    Not interested in speed runs. Just running it as a monster slash and sometimes short course, bashing mostly and maybe some track racing. So 2200kv or 2650kv?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Champion nickruger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by S0MEON3CRAZY View Post
    Not interested in speed runs. Just running it as a monster slash and sometimes short course, bashing mostly and maybe some track racing. So 2200kv or 2650kv?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you plan on running 3s, 2650kv. 2200kv is better for 4s. The 2650kv is a rocket on 4s too, gives more flexibility between 3 and 4s. 2200kv is a little lackluster on 3s.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    128
    https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/mo...gram-card.html

    I have this 2650kv combo in my slash and it is mental. I am running 20/54 gearing on 2.2/3.0 trenchers. The truck will stand straight up in the air on any surface at any time. The rear tire life expectancy is not great. Motor has never run over 150 even with the fairly tall gearing and my erratic driving style. I have been very impressed to say the least. I have only run it on 3s. I can't imagine what it would do on 4s.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •