RC poster

Esc went up in flames... literally

Hi all,

What just happend scared the crap out of me...

I was driving with my revo on a grass field when i had a big crash, flipt end over end i think maybe 20 times.
    It happens no big deal right? Well this one turned out to have a pretty scary moment.

When the truck crashed it pulled out one of the motor wires, just out of its socket, i turned the esc off plugged the wire back in and turned the esc back on. When the esc turned on the beebs had a different tone to them, it was trying to make the normal beeping noises but it sounded like it had a cold. I thought just the beeping thing inside the esc was broken, the light was acting normal and showed normal operation.

But it had very strange behavior when i hit the trottle, it was like it was trying to go forwards and backwards at the same time, very wierd.

So i went home and started test some things, unscrewd the motor to see what that was doing when i hit the trottle. And thats when it all went very bad in a hurry.
    All of a sudden the esc started to make a crisping noise and then there where flames 15cm high out of the esc!! Right in front of my face!!

My immidiate reaction was unplugging the lipo's witch killed the flames too, thank god for that!

This could have ended very very badly. Please guys take this story and be carefull with this stuff, dont test inside youre house, do it outside!

Now i obviously need to replace my dead esc, it was a mamba monster v1, what is the best replacement for this? 2200kv motor

If you want to stick with the OEM manufacturer, anything with 1:8 and Monster in the name should work well.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Competitor
    I use the Mamba monster 2 in my 2.0 seems to work great

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If you want to stick with the OEM manufacturer, anything with 1:8 and Monster in the name should work well.
    Is mamba monster the best esc for my truck , or are there better esc's for sale? This does create an oppertunity to upgrade at least the esc.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyM76 View Post
    Is mamba monster the best esc for my truck , or are there better esc's for sale? This does create an oppertunity to upgrade at least the esc.
    Hobbywing Max 8 would be my choice

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpowell911 View Post
    Hobbywing Max 8 would be my choice
    I hear great things about the max 8 and the Max 6 but the Max 6 is overkill for the E-Revo the only reason I went with Castle Creations is cuz I was unfamiliar with hobbywing at the time

RC poster
    I have been running the max8 combo for 4 weeks now, no issues so far. Also fits right in (Revo 2.0) & is easy to program (with card).
    E-Revo 2.0
    E-Revo VXL Brushless 1/16

RC poster
    Anybody know if this is original hobbywing? Or fake copie?

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/327...Q1559627578375

Anybody know if this is original hobbywing? Or fake copie?

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/327...Q1559627578375
    Considering any trusted retailer doesn't sell them for less than 129.99$ I would think it's fake. From what I've heard the warranty only applies to units purchased from authorized retailers. I wouldn't risk it being a counterfeit, warranty less, hunk of trash for 20$.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Considering any trusted retailer doesn't sell them for less than 129.99$ I would think it's fake. From what I've heard the warranty only applies to units purchased from authorized retailers. I wouldn't risk it being a counterfeit, warranty less, hunk of trash for 20$.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thank you fot this, i didn't think about warranty. And youre right, 20$ (about 15 euro for me ) is not worth it. Soon ill go to the local traxxas dealer and see what they recommend for my revo, they sell castle creations and hobbywing.

On one hand i want to stick with the mambo monster but on the other, many people speak highly about hobbywing. Will see what the traxxas dealer recomments

RC Competitor
    Thank you fot this, i didn't think about warranty. And youre right, 20$ (about 15 euro for me ) is not worth it. Soon ill go to the local traxxas dealer and see what they recommend for my revo, they sell castle creations and hobbywing.

On one hand i want to stick with the mambo monster but on the other, many people speak highly about hobbywing. Will see what the traxxas dealer recomments
    Wally you're sitting in my chair hahaha i had that same dilemma between those two, one bonus with hobbywing i noticed when i got my mamba was i had to send in seperate for my castle link and hobbywing had a link included. Other than that I basically flipped a coin looked at shipping and decided that i knew castle and it got here a week earlier (being my truck was brand new i was eager to play) so i went with it.

RC poster
    So, i send an email to castle creation and just got a reaction,

I explained exacly what happend and asked what could cause an esc fire when a wire just pops out of its socket, i also made very clear i wasnt expecting any warranty and asked what would be the best option for a new esc.

The reaction of castle was: probably a dead short between two posts and i needed to send the esc and motor in for testing. End

This wasnt the reaction i was hoping for. I thought they would be a little more helpfull, especialy on the question what the best new esc would be for me.

A bit disapointed in castle. Next weekend im going to the local traxxas dealer and see what they say , castle or hobbywing.

Cant wait til its running again

RC poster
    Just made this account to comment on your thread.
    First off I recommend reading websites before you get disappointed. Castle has one of the best warranties out there and is the reason they’re asking you to send it in for testing. That esc is over 1 year old so it is classified in their long term warranty program.

They will give you a new esc for a substantial discount. You can opt for a mamba monster 2 for $83 plus shipping or a mamba monster x for $103 plus shipping. Flat rates, same prices, no matter the scenario. That’s why people like castle, and that’s why people buy castle. The warranty.

The guy you talked to assumed you read their warranty. He wouldn’t make you send it in if he was just gonna send it right back. After it was received by them, they’ll tell you the cause and then you can opt if you want to do a warrenty replacement. I actually have my mxl 6s over there waiting for a new mm2 because it died.

A Sidewinder 8th is a valid choice if you stick to 4s it’ll have no problems. Through that warranty program you pay $68 plus shipping.
    Last edited by Bashingkiller; 06-07-2019 at 09:15 PM.

RC poster
    And as a matter of fact just looking at your images, the esc is fine if you really want to put work into it. The 3 wires are burned off (positive and negative bec wires, and the 1 white communication sensor wire) and probably compromised the switch wires. Solder the switch wires back onto the board (or solder the joints together) and resolder the white sensor wire, and just use an external bec as the bec inside ur esc is what shorted.

Edit nevermind, I see now the second picture has worse damage. Looks like those motor ports shorted and caused a ground loop to the bec, which then shorted.
    Last edited by Bashingkiller; 06-07-2019 at 09:20 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashingkiller View Post
    Just made this account to comment on your thread.
    First off I recommend reading websites before you get disappointed. Castle has one of the best warranties out there and is the reason they’re asking you to send it in for testing. That esc is over 1 year old so it is classified in their long term warranty program.

They will give you a new esc for a substantial discount. You can opt for a mamba monster 2 for $83 plus shipping or a mamba monster x for $103 plus shipping. Flat rates, same prices, no matter the scenario. That’s why people like castle, and that’s why people buy castle. The warranty.

The guy you talked to assumed you read their warranty. He wouldn’t make you send it in if he was just gonna send it right back. After it was received by them, they’ll tell you the cause and then you can opt if you want to do a warrenty replacement. I actually have my mxl 6s over there waiting for a new mm2 because it died.

A Sidewinder 8th is a valid choice if you stick to 4s it’ll have no problems. Through that warranty program you pay $68 plus shipping.

Ok, thank you, i didnt read the warranty, just send an email to them because i was curious if this happend to other people. I will defenetly work with them now an sent my esc and motor to castle. Im still not expecting any warranty from them because its an older esc, but if they want to offer me a new one at a discount ill take it obviously. Again thanks for the info

RC poster
    Today i went to the local traxxas dealer and bought a new hobbywing max8 esc.
    But, i think i might have bin wrong about my motor, i thought i had a 2200kv castle but after looking some things up it might be a 1650kv.

If i have a 1650 kv, do i have the right esc? Or do i need to change it to a hobbywing max6?

Can anyone tell me what motor this is? And if have the right esc?
    (Bought my revo second hand with no information, and it had a mamba monster v1 esc.)