RC poster

Drive Shaft Questions

Hello,
    First post...newbie disclaimer here. Haven't had an RC car since the 80s and I just last week picked up a Stampede 4x4 VXL. Exposing my kids to the hobby and having a blast myself!

Running 2S LiPo batteries everything stock. Got through about 6 or 7 charged batteries before I broke a rear drive shaft. After looking at it and researching a bit, I am convinced the stock plastic will constantly break under the torque of the engine and abuse we put it through.

To get the truck running quickly I grabbed a set of Stub axles as it was the one plastic side of the U joint on the left stub axle that broke.
    As a long term fix I grabbed a pair of MIP X-Duty rear CVD driveshafts (figured I can return if I decide to do something else).

I did not buy a set for the front as I am already sinking more money into this on top of the initial purchase. I grabbed a pair of backup stock fronts for now should we break one of those.

Some questions I have:
    -What is the concensus on the MIP X-Duty Drives? I saw a bunch from Integy on Amazon that were cheaper, but didn't get great reviews.
    -Should I bite the bullet and do the fronts too?
    -The guy at the shop did say that the front MIP X-Duty do not work with RPM parts. Is that a reason to stay away from the MIP for the front? Are there other upgrade caster blocks that do work with MIP. And if he said this I missed it, but do the rear MIP not work with RPM parts?

My thought process is to have a few of the things that typically break on hand as spares, but identify items I may want to upgrade as part of the break/fix process.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have Tekno M6’s in mine. They’re great and don’t nearly as much as the x-Duty’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have had great luck with my Tekno stuff but lots of guys swear by the MIPs. The rears take more of a beating than the fronts but you will most likely break a front at some point. I would just wait and order the aftermarket axles then. That being said you could always get them now and save yourself the future downtime. I thought MIP were compatible with RPM and it was just Tekno that had issues but I'm not positive.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tekno setup comes with everything you’ll need as far as caster blocks etc. You can buy extra dog bones if you shatter them on 4S doing standing backflips.

Yeah the guy at the hobby shop misinformed you. It's the Teknos that aren't recommended for running with RPM parts not the MIP. Here is the disclaimer and explanation from the Tekno website. Gives a good explanation for you.

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6852...-4x4-rear-6mm/

I only have experience with the MIPs, but I do own a few Tekno trucks and have never had an axle issue in my Teknos. Knowing what I know now, I would of went with the Tekno axles based on their lightness and the ease of repairand parts replacement. IMO dogbones are always better than CVDs, less pieces parts, screws, etc. to fail or loose, just better overall ease of use. The rebuild kits for the MIPs are exspensive and the individual parts like stub axles and drive hubs are very pricey. The Teknos you'll likely only ever have to replace the pins, which are cheap. The bearing captured stub axle is just a better simplistic design and the lightened drive cups allow for just the right amount of flex that they don't wear. Tekno just makes top notch products.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks all for the input. Those Tekno M6s do look a lot easier and at half the cost I am going to give them a try and return the MIPs I bought.
    I got a new stub axle on to replace the broken one and the truck is running again.

RC Racer
    I have the MiP rears. So far the one side screw pin comes loose. Even with blue loctite. I will have to try the Teknos on the front. I keep snapping front yokes lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    I have the MiP rears. So far the one side screw pin comes loose. Even with blue loctite. I will have to try the Teknos on the front. I keep snapping front yokes lol.

You can always put a 1/2 inch wide band of heat shrink over the pins and you won't lose anymore and it's easy to remove.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    You can always put a 1/2 inch wide band of heat shrink over the pins and you won't lose anymore and it's easy to remove.
    That is a great idea!!