RC Competitor

2wd transmission help needed

So I pulled my tranny apart because I thought it was making a lot of noise compared to when I first got it. I have replaced the motor and ESC with a brushless system. When I pulled the transmission apart I noticed that the gears were greasy but there wasn't a lot of grease visible in the transmission. None of the gears looked worn and no damage anywhere. My question is, what kind of grease and how much should I use in the transmission to keep it lubricated and protect it? Also looking at the proline transmission case which will give me the room to use my motor heat sink and fan that won't fit with the stock transmission case. Also thinking about getting the hot racing sealed diff to get better forward bite. Any thoughts? Thanks guys and gals!! You are all very helpful when I have questions and for that I am truly grateful.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

First, you want to go in and clean off all of the old grease. For new grease, you have a lot of options, no matter what you choose, you don't need a lot, and any excess will just get slung into a corner of the transmission. For the most part, I just put a bead of grease right in the middle of each gear (about the size of a spaghetti noodle), the grease will squish out and cover the face of the gears.

As far as grease goes, I like AE Black Grease, it coats very well, gives good protection, and is easy to get off when doing maintenance. A lot of guys like Red-n-Tacky and different flavors of marine grease, all great choices, but they are more difficult to get off the grease.

While you are in there, recommend giving the bearing a good look-over and make sure they are still free-rolling.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    The Pro-line trans has its own internal parts, Traxxas parts will not work. You can get the entire Proline trans for $100+ or get a trans case from FLM, RPM or Integy. I have one car with the RPM case. I like the separate rear arm mounts it has to get rid of the excessive rear toe in. Did you take the differential apart and check those gears also?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    No I haven't taken the diff apart. I will be sure to do that. Anyone have any thoughts on a sealed diff? And would a locked diff be any better than the stock one? Primarily a basher but starting to dabble in some racing soon at the lhs. I want to make sure I go into it with a little more knowledge than I have now so as not to pester the guys that have been there for a while and trying to dial in their own trucks.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

RC Qualifier
    A locked diff will make it push in corners (it wants to go straight) so that would not be good for anything other than drag racing or maybe rock crawling.

RC Competitor
    Ok. So no need for a locked diff. Thoughts on the sealed diff?
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

RC Qualifier
    Canít speak much on the stock Traxxas trans, I ditched mine not to long after I got it.
    What do you use your Slash for?
    I primarily race my Slash and it has had the pro-line trans for years. Iíve had zero issues with it and I absolutely love how quiet and smooth it is. In my opinion for racing it definitely outperforms the stock trans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Right now I'm just trying to get my truck running and handling the way I want it to and bashing. I'm trying to get a handle on the truck before I start going to the track and start racing but that's the direction I would like to go.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

RC Qualifier
    If you really want to get into racing Iíd say the pro-line trans is the way to go. Iím sure many like the stock trans and have done well with it, I personally am very happy with the pro-line trans. Itís been bulletproof for 5 years of racing indoor and outdoor, all Iíve had to do is replace the friction pad it uses in place of a slipper clutch. Itís kind of an expensive upgrade at around $100 but to me itís worth it! Good luck which ever way you decide.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info everyone! As always you guys have provided me with a great deal of useful information and again I am truly grateful for your help. One last question before I turn in for the night, does anyone know if the proline transmission has a sealed diff and if not, will the HR sealed diff be compatible with it? And what are some advantages and disadvantages to having a sealed diff? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really trying to learn about my truck and be able to help the next noob like you guys have already helped me. Really love this hobby and want to see more people stick with it. If it wasn't for the help I have gotten in these forums I may not have stuck with it but I'm glad that I did.
    Last edited by Junior3815; 06-04-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

RC Qualifier
    Sealed as far as keeping the oil in? That is a yes, no tape on the bottom like the stock trans. Itís still an open differential, you donít want a locked differential as it will push in corners. Iíve left the stock oil in the pro-line trans as Iíve found it to be spot on the way it comes new.
    A lot of guys on here with a lot of experience, itís a great place to find help!

RC Qualifier
    I think the HR diff is for the stock Slash trans, it wouldn't work in the Pro-line trans but there's really no need for it anyway. Your lighter diff oils/grease will eventually seep out of the split halves of any trans case without some sort of gasket or o-ring unless there's one out there that i don't know of.

RC Qualifier
    I do believe the pro-line trans has o-rings between then case, Iíve had zero leaking.

RC Qualifier
    I know the two halves fit together nicely like they're keyed but i don't have any with o-rings. I've built many from parts and bought new and used when i can get them cheap.