RC Competitor

VXL-3s ESC cutting out.

Iím having a problem with my VXL-3s esc cutting our every once in a while. The Rustler 4x4 will quit moving and the esc and motor fans are still running. The light on the esc is red and the on/off button will not turn the esc off. I have to unplug the battery to shut it down. When I plug the battery back the esc will turn on with the button and operate fine until it happens again. It does not have the large pinion on the motor either and the esc is properly set up for lipo. Anyone else ever experience this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

RC Enthusiast
    What gearing and what battery are you running

RC Competitor
    I’m running the stock 11 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur. The batteries I’m using are 3s. The “c” ratings are between 20-30
    Last edited by scoviman; 06-04-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Let's see what page 20 of the manual says:
    LED Codes and Protection Modes
    • Solid Green: VXL-3s power-on light. Low-Voltage Detection is ACTIVATED (LiPo setting).
    Solid Red: VXL-3s power-on light. Low-Voltage Detection is DISABLED (NiCad/NiMH setting). Never use LiPo batteries while Low-Voltage Detection is disabled.
    Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3s has entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3s will limit the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will slowly blink red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.
    Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the motor has lower than normal power and the VXL-3s is hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to guard against overheating caused by excessive current flow. If the motor has no power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 2 Thermal Shutdown Protection and has automatically shut down. Let the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your model is properly geared for the conditions (see page 27).
    Very Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection and Low Voltage Protection (see above) have occurred at the same time.
    • Alternating; Blinks Red then Green: If the motor has no power, the VXL-3s has entered Over Voltage Protection. If a battery with too high voltage is used, the VXL-3s will go into a fail-safe mode. WARNING: If input voltage exceeds approximately 20-volts, the ESC may be damaged. Do not exceed 12.6 maximum peak input voltage.
    • Blinking Green: The VXL-3s is indicating the transmitter Throttle Trim (see page 31) is incorrectly set. If the Multi-Function knob is set to throttle trim, then adjust the Throttle Trim to the middle “0” setting
    Which one is it?

How about the receiver? What color light is showing when this is happening? If it is none of these give Traxxas C.S. a call.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-04-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    It should be low voltage from my experience especially on a 3s wth stock gearing

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Let's see what page 20 of the manual says:

Which one is it?

How about the receiver? What color light is showing when this is happening? If it is none of these give Traxxas C.S. a call.
    The receiver is solid green when this is happening. Iíve got the ESC set up for lipo. When it stalls the ESC light is solid red!

RC Competitor
    It could be the battery itself causing an issue. Is it a Traxxas branded battery?

RC Competitor
    I use Venom 3s batteries. 20-30c range.

So you have a fan on the esc. How many fans on the motor? How do you ha e them connected? I used to have a truck that froze in place because the bec in the esc would overload.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!