RC Racer

Sealing up the front portals.

So after running my trx 4 in a river for a while I decided to tear it down and clean all the gears and bearings in the diffs and portals. On the front portals there was tons of river water in them and the bearings were locked up.

I noticed that the rear portals were very clean. Almost like new clean. I assume it's because of the way the front portal is assembled. Where the drive shaft connects to the portal with that bearing is where the water gets in.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to seal it off better than stock.

Here's a photo of where I think water is getting in and also a photo of it in the river.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I haven't sealed anything, I just pack the bearings, gears, and the axle tubes with marine grease. It prevents the water from getting on the metal parts and rusting. Water always finds a way in, so best option is to protect the metal. I've gotten 2 years on my bearings and they spin like brand new, and I hose my trucks down every run.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    I haven't sealed anything, I just pack the bearings, gears, and the axle tubes with marine grease. It prevents the water from getting on the metal parts and rusting. Water always finds a way in, so best option is to protect the metal. I've gotten 2 years on my bearings and they spin like brand new, and I hose my trucks down every run.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    That's what I did when I was going through everything. Packed it all full of marine grease. We'll see how it holds up I guess

RC Racer
    I also pack the bearings with marine grease and have had no issues with water getting in the portals on my rig. My son's truck, however, needed two bearings replaced because they seized up from rust. Maybe he just had back luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    I also pack the bearings with marine grease and have had no issues with water getting in the portals on my rig. My son's truck, however, needed two bearings replaced because they seized up from rust. Maybe he just had back luck.
    Its not bad luck, its just the nature of the beast. When you run in submerged conditions a lot you have to do a lot of maintenance or accept you will have to rebuilds with part replacement.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Its not bad luck, its just the nature of the beast. When you run in submerged conditions a lot you have to do a lot of maintenance or accept you will have to rebuilds with part replacement.
    For sure, I get that, my son does not.

I do have a feeling that the added grease everywhere is creating more internal resistance, which is probably why my truck never has great run times.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    For sure, I get that, my son does not.

I do have a feeling that the added grease everywhere is creating more internal resistance, which is probably why my truck never has great run times.
    It definitely slows it down at high speed but I haven't noticed an impact on runtime. I'll time it next time I run it

RC Qualifier
    I don't pack my portal with grease at all - just a light coating is all I find that I need.

Then again, I rarely run through water anyways...…

From around 4:55 :

https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir