RC poster

can someone explain Brushed and Brush less motors to me?

So I have this 12t I scrapped from a broken rc car which works perfectly. Anyway I recently purchased a TRX 4 Sport which comes with a 21t motor so which motor would be better for Rock Crawling?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarJames View Post
    So I have this 12t I scrapped from a broken rc car which works perfectly. Anyway I recently purchased a TRX 4 Sport which comes with a 21t motor so which motor would be better for Rock Crawling?
    The 21t is plenty fine. With brushed motors, the lower the turns, the faster it runs. Honestly even the 21t can be too fast for some people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums...

First, unless that 12T motor is 550-sized, you do not want to use it with the XL5 ESC. The ESC is only rated to 15T 540 sized motors.

Second, higher turns means less RPM per volt, which translates to higher torque, which is what you want for a crawler. Basically, as the number of turns goes up the torque goes up but the speed goes down.

Here is a down and dirt video on the differences between brushed and brushless motors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqHr2cpp4M

As far as uses in our little niche...
    Brushed:
    (+) Cheap. Bushed motors and the ESCs that drive them are very inexpensive.
    (+): Powerful. Price vs power, its REALLY hard to beat brushed motor combos.
    (+): Easy to set up.
    (-): Brushed motors are more susceptible to damage caused by the elements and require frequent maintenance to keep running right.
    (-): Brushed motor are not very efficient. This causes them to run hotter, and in higher torque situations, will burn out more quickly than their brushless counterparts.
    (-): Most brushed motors are no longer rebuildible. Even if a brushed motor is rebuildible, good luck finding parts. Plus, for the cost of a rebuild kit, you can just toss the motor and get a new one.

Brushless:
    (+): More power.
    (+): More efficient. BL systems can run lower turn (higher kv) in trucks where a brushed motor would fry, this allows for a much higher speed range out of the brushless system compared the a brushed system, and negates the need for a 2-speed transmission.
    (+): Programming. Brushless systems tend to be more programable, allowing for a wide range to tuning options.
    (-): Cost. The better BL systems are expensive, but in most cases, you get what you pay for.
    (-): Low-speed cogging: Unsensored BL system will cog, badly at low speed, high torque situations (i.e.: Crawling). As a result, you want a sensored brushless system if you are going to run it in a crawler, which will make low speed crawling butter smooth.
    (-): Set up options can be dizzying.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Everything greatscott said. If your interested go to you tube and check out Holmes Hobbies and his explanation on brushed and brushless motors. He has lots of good info on this subject.