Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud guards?

Mud guards?

Has anybody ever tried running, or fabricating mud guards for the rear arms? I've only came across 2 different types that are available for purchase. Neither one looks very promising. The t-bone ones are pretty much just skids with a little shock protection, the others look about what I want, but appear to be crude and chincy.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/233234985708?...hoCQL4QAvD_BwE
    https://tboneracing.net/products/621...traxxas-x-maxx
    Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?
    I get alot of grass and foliage wrapped around my axles and alot of buildup inside the lower shock cup.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just keep a small pair of wire nippers in my tool bag, and just cut away anything that gets wrapped around my axles. As far as mud build up. I use popsicle sticks to get rid of the heavy stuff when I change out batteries.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Ive had a set of the T-Bone Racing - the full armor kit actually.

I couldn't fit them since the plastic on one side was bent more then the other - so I was getting rubbing, and the front wheels could not fully turn since they hit the guards.

Contacted T-Bone who said the plastic could be bent by holding above boiling water to soften it??!
    I wasn't expecting to have to fabricate and adapt them myself!

Gave up and returned.
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I’ve ordered things from MuratRC. I’ve gotten shock sockets and body washers. They’ve both been nice. Shipping does take forever since they’re in Poland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright I'm going to order the muratRc ones. I'll post pics in a couple months when I get them, lol.

RC Qualifier
    I may give the MuratRC ones a try too - although they look like simple 3D printed parts? Anyone confirm?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I made a set of cloth ones. Secured them with the little screws that hold the suspension pins in on the lower arms, and up at the rear most screw on the upper chassis brace. It was in the shape of a triangle. The material was thin, and after about 10 runs it started failing. I imagine if I used a more durable material, they could last a long time...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I was thinking of making some thin carbon fiber ones, maybe using some stand offs. I think I'll order the muratRc ones and next time I have the truck all apart I'll really take a good look if there is a way to make some nice full coverage ones.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    I may give the MuratRC ones a try too - although they look like simple 3D printed parts? Anyone confirm?
    I’m sure they are. The washers and there lighting gear is also 3D printed.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The cloth ones were nice because the spandex type material would fold as the suspension compressed. I was exploring making shock covers, and used some of the material as a shield to save my covers on the rear shocks.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I take it back. They’re made of “super tough rubber”. I’ve ordered a set. They look great and the install is clean.

I just ordered mine too. It'll be fun, like a little Polish lottery to see who gets theirs first. I just put some on my erevo tonight. Hope they work out.

RC Competitor
    I run T-bone racing on the rear of my truck purely to protect the rear shock shafts from getting bashed with rocks. They fit and work perfectly. Would recommend
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

RC Qualifier
    I don't recommend those type of guard's for the XMAXX when I chance out pack I just clear out any stuck dirt or anything wrapped around the shock shaft or drive shaft with a tooth brush & my Air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by grave75 View Post
    I don't recommend those type of guard's for the XMAXX when I chance out pack I just clear out any stuck dirt or anything wrapped around the shock shaft or drive shaft with a tooth brush & my Air compressor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I just keep a small pair of wire nippers in my tool bag, and just cut away anything that gets wrapped around my axles. As far as mud build up. I use popsicle sticks to get rid of the heavy stuff when I change out batteries.
    Great minds think alike. (lol)

Great minds think alike. (lol)
    I'm trying to prevent it from getting in there in the first place.

A noble effort on your part for sure, but sometimes things like that just aren't worth the consequences. (IMO) play, have fun, don't worry, take care, put away, and then go eat dinner. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-11-2019 at 06:26 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Mud guards?

A noble effort on your part for sure, but sometimes things like that just aren't worth the consequences. (IMO) play, have fun, don't worry, take care, put away, and then go eat dinner. (lol)
    I think i vote for more play, less clean. I’ll give an unbiased opinion. I am trying to protect aluminum upper arms and gds lower perches that are on the way.

Somehow builds are never done....

I really respect the fact that you voted. Every American should vote. Now, if I can get you to vote my way, you'll be absolutely perfect! (lol)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I really respect the fact that you voted. Every American should vote. Now, if I can get you to vote my way, you'll be absolutely perfect! (lol)
    Normally I’ve leaned your direction. But still protecting an investment and cleaning less gets my vote.

I'm just kidding. There's an old saying " The perfect politician is me." So, when you said you voted I thought of that.

My RC philosophy (good or bad) is I don't look at any of my RC stuff as an investment. I look at them as my big boy toys. As long as they're fun for me, I'm good spending the money. When I invest, though, I don't care about fun. I want return. I also, don't spend much time cleaning during the season. I do clean areas if I have a repair, but I setup my RC stuff, so that I have minimum repairs during the season. I knock the heavy stuff off, but that's about it. I leave the super good cleaning for the off season.

I'm not saying your this way, but I've seen (over the years) many guys who poopsie their toys to the point that they don't have the fun that they should. They're afraid they'll break, they're afraid of the maintenance, they're afraid of this, and they're afraid of that. Not just with RC's, but a lot of other stuff too.

In my professional (armature) opinion, guys should go have fun with their toys and let happen, happen. Guys should go have fun spending money on their toys, go have fun trying to make your toys unique, and go have fun learning how to do maintenance and repairs on all their goodies. It's all a part of the fun, and being a red blooded American guy. You'd be surprised how many RC vehicles I see in my (LHS)'s waiting to be repaired at 60 to 90 dollars an hour (and, that's just for labor)...that's crazy!

This brings me to my last point. Do you know how many guys just come home and plop onto the couch? They can't change a tire, check oil, fix a water leak, fix a clogged toilet, or change a lawn mower blade? A lot. That's what I like about this Traxxas website. If a person is willing learn and ask questions, there is a lot of good "How To" information to be had here. A person can not only learn how to fix and modify, but how to efficiently minimize maintenance time too. That way, a person can "Have their cake and eat it too." Good luck to you with your vote!

During the season:

Off season:

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I'm trying to prevent it from getting in there in the first place.

Genius 😉
    No cleaning so bashing can continue

Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    Genius ��
    No cleaning so bashing can continue
    Let's go even one step better.

Super Genius

Save your money, don't worry about cleaning, so the bashing can continue.

RC Competitor

Super Genius

Or do both... Buy gaurds and don't clean haha

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Cool

Super Genius

I just leave the max in the bed of the truck with the cover rolled up and hit a touches car wash..

$5 and both trucks get clean, and dried

Quote Originally Posted by morch_66479 View Post
    Or do both... Buy gaurds and don't clean haha.
    There you go! The key is embracing the mud and the crud. (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    I just leave the max in the bed of the truck with the cover rolled up and hit a touches car wash..

$5 and both trucks get clean, and dried
    Yea, but 5 bucks every time you turn around. In a couple of years (if you just left the dirt) you could by a Bugatti with money you save.

RC Racer
    Yea, but 5 bucks every time you turn around. In a couple of years (if you just left the dirt) you could by a Bugatti with money you save.
    That is true, but only if you weren't spending the money in the first place. If you are washing your vehicle anyways, you aren't spending any extra money, and getting your rc clean in the process.

For my Rustler, I just remove the body, turn it upside down, and shake it out. Free, and if I have anything stuck in the XL-5's heatsink, I take a toothbrush to it, along with the grass in the bellcrank to preserve the life of my servo.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    If you are washing your vehicle anyways, you aren't spending any extra money, and getting your RC clean in the process.
    Very good point, but rather than spend 5 bucks every time you want to wash cars and RC's; put the Bugatti on hold for a year and buy a power sprayer. You can get the electric ones real cheap. I myself, have a John Deer gas (13 HP Honda engine, adjustable 4400 psi) one. I needed something for all my outside cleaning needs...and, (of course) for killing wild African water buffalos. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.

On a lighter, less argumentative point, shockingly my polish mud guards are already in New York. They'll probably be here Monday. Super exciting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On a lighter, less argumentative point, shockingly my polish mud guards are already in New York. They'll probably be here Monday. Super exciting.

Guess you’re gonna win. Mine still show waiting to depart Poland.

On a lighter, less argumentative point.
    I admit there is a fine line between arguing and having a discussion, but we're having a discussion. A discussion is friendlier than an argument.

I admit there is a fine line between arguing and having a discussion, but we're having a discussion. A discussion is friendlier than an argument.
    I chose the wrong word, I've never found you to be anything but friendly.

Cool! Thanks!

Look what I got. Fresh off the boat from Poland. They are indeed 3d printed and they seem pretty legit. Very nicely made, very flexible. Should be good.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Look what I got. Fresh off the boat from Poland. They are indeed 3d printed and they seem pretty legit. Very nicely made, very flexible. Should be good.

You won. They look good.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not to fond of 3D printed parts. Depending on material used they could break easily, especially if just PLA.

Would be interested to know how you get on with them though!

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    I'm not to fond of 3D printed parts. Depending on material used they could break easily, especially if just PLA.

Would be interested to know how you get on with them though!
    I am not very familiar with 3d printing and materials used, but these are very rubbery. I could just about fold them up without them wanting to crack. They are more like rubber than plastic.

The murat rc mudguards are the ticket. They mount perfect, got a chance to run them today before the max 5 crapped out. They do exactly as they should, very happy with them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The murat rc mudguards are the ticket. They mount perfect, got a chance to run them today before the max 5 crapped out. They do exactly as they should, very happy with them.

I agree, less mess, perfect fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast