RC Qualifier

GT-5 Radio Upgrade, Improved Receiver Box, Electrical Modifications

Hello,

I thought I would start posting some of the modifications (specifically to the electrical system) that I've done to my Summit over the past few years for others to reference if they are interested in going a similar direction. I'll get into the electrical and wiring changes later on. I'll start off with pictures of my latest project which is a new waterproof receiver box designed to work with the latest FlySky GT-5 6ch radio. With this addition, I'm now able to lock/unlock differentials individually as well as turn the lights on and off. Not to mention the massive improvement of a transmitter with an LCD display.

I machined this receiver box from billet 6061 aluminum and it bolts down to the stock chassis with no modifications needed. The only issue I've found is that the fit is a bit tight with my current setup of a Dewalt motor and smaller spur gear. I plan on making a revised aluminum motor mount piece as well at some point.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. More to come later of it in the truck.

Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Qualifier
    And some more...

RC Qualifier
    And a couple more...

RC Qualifier
    With the receiver box installed you can see all of the wiring held in the clamp and ready to be plugged in. In order from left to right: CH2 ESC (with red power wire removed), power and ground wires from BEC to RX, CH6 (front diff lock), CH5 (rear diff lock), CH4 (shift), CH3 (lights on/off power and ground), CH1 steering (signal wire only)

RC Qualifier
    Here you can see how all the wires route up and into the RX box. Most of the wires route around front of the transmission and then up. You can see the JST plug underneath the other wires. That is for power and ground to my single JR steering servo which draws a significantly higher current and runs on higher voltage than everything else. Running a single, powerful steering servo on it's own clean power source is very beneficial. There is also a spare open JST power lead that you can see. That is for a motor fan, more lights, etc. I already have a secondary lead for the roof lights.

RC Qualifier
    Electronic on/off switch plugged into CH3 slot. It's got a receiver plug on one end and a +/- power lead on the other end. I used CH3 because on this radio CH3 is just a button. So every push of the button either turns the lights on or off. I can't get the picture to display for it, but that's pretty self-explanatory.

RC Qualifier
    JST Y harness for plugging in the roof lights.

RC Qualifier
    External YEP 20A BEC that runs everything besides the motor. Overkill for this truck really. But it fits nicely in the spot where the secondary servo used to be. It has two separate output power leads, and the voltage can be set via a jumper. I have mine set to 6V. One power lead goes directly to the steering servo and I added a Y branch to the other lead. One of the branches goes to the RX and powers everything else and the other is my spare JST lead.

RC Qualifier
    I've tapped a positive and negative lead into the battery leads on the ESC. These then run to a on/off switch and then to the BEC. Please excuse the twisty ties on the switch leads.

RC Qualifier
    Now you can see all the wires folded over in the box and packed in. The small electronic on/off switch is packed at the bottom beneath all the other wires. Apply some silicone grease to the foam and wires.

RC Qualifier
    Cover installed and bolted down. Wiring is very secure and very clean

RC Qualifier
    Also running a dewalt motor with the proper caps added and switched over to higher quality bullet connectors for the motor leads.

RC Qualifier
    I'm also running an external voltage checker/alarm because I've had issues with the LVD on the EVX-2 cutting in way too early. Eventually, I will find a good, clean, permanent way to waterproof the voltage alarm. Speaking of waterproofing, you can see that all the other electronics on the truck are waterproof. The servo and BEC have both been sealed with plasti-dip.

RC Qualifier
    All done! I do need to get rid of those twisty ties as they look hideous. Otherwise a very clean, reliable and well-performing setup on this Summit. Ready to go back to brushless again someday.