RC poster

Traxxas slash 4x4 overheating problems

I just got out my slash and hadn't used it in a little over a year. The battery had died. So I bought a new one and I tried a fifteenth brand this time cause it was half the price. This might be my issue... Well I've never really had an issue with it overheating before but I could only drive it for maybe 5 minutes then it stays blinking red and it feels extremely hot. Could I have bought the wrong voltage output or something?? I have a fan on there already but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any help would appreciated. This is the battery I bought.
    Bias 35C 3S 5000mAh 11.1V LiPo Hard Case Battery UNI Plug (EC3/Deans/Traxxas/Tamiya) for RC Car, Truck, Buggy, Boat, Heli, and Drone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUEJY0K..._HcW-CbVHBMR0F

RC Qualifier
    Do the battery wires/connectors get hot? Are you using one of the adapters? I have heard bad things about these universal adapters causing excessive resistance. If you not worried about the warranty i would cut off the plug and use the connector for your esc.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I never even thought about the adaptor. That might be what's causing the extra heat. So you would cut off the tip and just fix the adapter on permanently?

RC Racer
    What are the names of the motor and esc? XL 5 and titan 12t?
    If so you can only run 2s
    If the car is a vxl model it will have a vxl3s esc and veilineon motor this should run 3s. I would check the gearing because who knows what the previous owner geared it at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    It's 3s ready. I've anyways ran 3s in the past but with this battery in particular it overheats.

RC Competitor
    I think we need some more information about:
    - the ESC and motor you use (is it a Velineon combo) ?
    - the gearing you use

Any idea about the temps on the ESC and the motor ?

Do you have a fan on the ESC or on the motor (or both) ?

RC Enthusiast
    If the esc and motor are both getting warm and you’re using the same voltage battery, same gearing, etc, check to see if the drivetrain is completely free and nothing is binding up. I will regularly year a car down to the bearings to find a part that’s binding. Resistance through adapters and wiring will manifest as hot wires between the battery and esc. Good luck and happy hunting!

If it's been sitting for over a year, make sure all the bearings are good. Might as well check your gear mesh as well.

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I personally would never run a 35c lipo. I have a 50c minimum. The battery may be holding you back. Do you have another to try?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    first thing I would do after a year would be to change those bearings, and give it some maintenance. A 5 minute run that results in overheating surly is telling you something. bearing, clean dif and new grease. I've had old bearings lock up after just 2 weeks sitting in the closet.