RC poster

Stampeded VXL 2WD

My son has a VXL and the shear pin constantly breaks. He cannot get more than a run and a half without it shearing. I have now replaced close to a dozen times. The last break trashed the top gear as well.

Are there any upgrades I can install to keep from happening? He runs the 2 cell 5400ma LiPo from traxxas.

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked all the bearings in the transmission? Are you using stock tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Bearings are in good shape. This started happening on the first day. Stock tires.

Some have taken an appropriately sized allen wrench or drill bit and cut to length to replace the pin. There higher performance slipper assemblies, but something doesn't sound right about your situation...make sure you have the slipper nut adjusted properly, the "slip" will lessen the harmful forces placed on the tranny/drivetrain components.

Tighten the slipper all the way down, and then back it off 1/4 to a 1/2 turn. Maybe more depending on your son's driving style. There are youtube vids describing this as well...good luck and sorry if you already knew this. Let us know if it helps so we may continue trouble shooting!

and...welcome to the Forum fellow parent-fixer of RC.
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    I'll second the slipper adjustment. I'm guessing it's way too tight. Adjust it out to slip more and you should be fine.

I commend your patience! If I had to fix that on my own Stampede that many times I think I'd want to throw it in the woods and walk away.

RC poster
    Thanks for the tips guys. I will make that adjustment. Would changed the slipper pads out to the carbon fiber hep as well? Or just loosening will be enough?

And yes if it was mine it would have already been in the trash! But since it is something my son saved up his money for and bought himself, I feel bad throwing it out!!!!

Lundiema, I would use what you have until you're sure you need an upgrade. Did you figure out how to adjust the slipper? You should probably just buy another for yourself so you can race alongside your son!
    MTFBWY