RC poster

Motor heat sink and fan...part number?

So I just got a 3s battery for my ultimate and it's awesome. I'm pushing 55mph without even changing the spur gear to the other one (it came with) to get 65+. I used to quit playing when the battery ran out, but now I have to stop when the engine overheats!. I've already ordered the esc fan (3340), but couldn't find a part number for the motor heat sink and fan. They're out there on eBay and stuff, but I'd like to know it's actually compatible before I buy it. Anyone know what I should get?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Any standard 36mm heat sync should fit it. Just make sure it isn't too long

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You have plenty of options when it comes to a heatsink and fan combination. Are you looking for a single or dual fan heatsink?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You are running 3s and need to put a smaller pinion.

It will lose top end speed, but hot electronics lead to fried electronics

Fans are not a substitute for a setup that should not have been run in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    You are running 3s and need to put a smaller pinion.

It will lose top end speed, but hot electronics lead to fried electronics

Fans are not a substitute for a setup that should not have been run in the first place
    I've had quite a bit of good luck running the Slash 4x4 stock gearing on 3s. It has worked for me for years. I usually want more performance from my trucks and switch to the El Sob special motor system.

RC Racer
    Can’t remember if the ultimate comes with it, if not, one could also look into the LCG chassis aluminum motor mounts such as 7460r or a number of after market options that serve as heatsink as well.

RC poster
    i have 2 slash 4x4's and i run 3s on both of them.

My slash 4x4 HCG has the Velineon system in it and weighs in at 4.5-5 pounds. It never gets over 135 degrees Fahrenheit in 80 degree weather with 13/54 gearing. To keep it cool, i have a heat-sink with a single fan on it and an aluminum motor mount. (also has ESC fan)

My slash 4x4 LCG on the other hand, is much heavier weighing 7lbs with all my aluminum and steel upgrades. That system is a Castle Mamba X and the 3800kv castle motor. The motor runs at 145 degrees Fahrenheit max on a 3s 6000mah battery until dead. that combo has a heatsink and a single fan on it like the velineon, and also has a think aluminum motor mount made by STRC and it pulls a ton of heat away from the motor and helps cool the motor a lot. This is geared at 12/54 and again reaches around 40-45mph. Also the Mamba X has a cooling fan.

So IMO, with a heatsink & fan, ESC fan, and an aluminum motor mount, it should keep your truck cool enough at the gearing i specified, it has for me. you could always start low and work your way up with the gearing to reach the speed you want.

if it still inst fast enough for your liking and gets hot, you may have to go to the EL Sob motor setup.

PS: both my heat-sinks are Integy heat-sinks, hope this helps.

RC Racer
    Aluminum motor mounts make for great heat syncs. My Temps improved a lot after getting one

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    Aluminum motor mounts make for great heat syncs. My Temps improved a lot after getting one

Yes, i second this. plastic ones almost do nothing, aluminum transfers heat much better.

+3

King Headz is a good motor mount...and HR makes a good one as well. The stock Traxxas aluminum motor plate works great with each of those.

I recommend getting the 30x30x10 Yeah Racing Turbo fans (available in plastic or aluminum housings) for whatever heatsink you decide to go with. They really move some air!

RC poster
    Wild Turbo Fan 40mm Ultra High Speed Cooling Fan. only problem is they are loud.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-20-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Removed unintentionally used banned acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    +3

King Headz is a good motor mount...and HR makes a good one as well. The stock Traxxas aluminum motor plate works great with each of those.

I recommend getting the 30x30x10 Yeah Racing Turbo fans (available in plastic or aluminum housings) for whatever heatsink you decide to go with. They really move some air!
    Sounds like you know my trucks! Kings Head motor mount and Yeah Racing fans. That is the way I like to set mine up

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Sounds like you know my trucks! Kings Head motor mount and Yeah Racing fans. That is the way I like to set mine up
    And did I also mention I run the Mamba X, and a CC 2400kv 5mm shaft motor?

Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I've had quite a bit of good luck running the Slash 4x4 stock gearing on 3s. It has worked for me for years. I usually want more performance from my trucks and switch to the El Sob special motor system.
    I am hoping for this to be true. Would love to keep the stock gearing and running 3s. I do have plans to upgrade the motor and ESC, but for the time being would love to have the option to chuck the 3s in there, every once in a while.