Motor cogging, start fail

Took the Xmaxx out today ran into some major problems. Everything was running fine last time I took it out which was last Saturday I believe. Here is the sequence of events and symptoms and my setup.
    Max 5 , 56113 Hobbystar 780kv, 9200mah SMC 4s, stock TQi radio.

Everything powered up fine, went out back as soon as I hit the throttle the truck lunged to a stop. Then it went back through the cell count beeps, which is 8. Hit the throttle again, same thing. Took the shell off and inspected everything, all looked fine. Disconnected batteries, tried again, same thing. Tried recalibrating and it took off about 20 feet and did it again. If I was easy on the throttle it would go, but as soon as I gave any hard throttle it would kill it.
    I got to thinking that maybe it was a reciever issue because I'm leery about the rx box getting water in it, but the steering was totally fine even when it would shut off. I was thinking maybe there was some moisture in there so I gradually increased the speed and within a few minutes it was performing flawlessly. So 20 or so minutes pass and all the sudden starts cogging to the point that it won't even move. Both the green and red LEDs flash simultaneous while it's cogging.
    I unplugged my motor wires and tried my stock motor just plugged in, not mounted, and it worked fine. I still have to swap them out to verify that works under load. I cut the heat shrink off the motor bullets because that's where I felt the problem might be, but everything looked good and soldered still. Any insight into what might be causing this? Am I on the right track swapping out the motors first? Only thing I don't have a spare of is the ESC. I hope the motor isn't toast. I've only ran it 4 times and it only had a 30 day warranty. Any help or advice is well appreciated. Batteries were good, the only other thing I think important to mention is I did wash it last time I had it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Try unplugging the servo and see if it stops cogging. I know it sounds stupid, but 2 times now I thought I had blown an esc(smaller trucks) and it was just an older servo causing it.

Then swap rx's.

You said you checked all wires and connectors already so only thing left after all that is motor and esc. Swap in a good motor and you'll figure it out right there

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ah. Mine did the same thing. Dial your punch control down to 1 or 2 and itíll be good. I think itís that In rush of current causing it. Iím installing a BEC and will dial it back up to see if that was part of the issue. Iím not installing the bec for this reason but am curious.

Somehow builds are never done....

It does have a newer 2085x servo, been ran 3 times. I wouldn't be shocked if the servo was bad already. I had the punch turned down to 1 already. I'll reprogram it to confirm it's still on 1. Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    It does have a newer 2085x servo, been ran 3 times. I wouldn't be shocked if the servo was bad already. I had the punch turned down to 1 already. I'll reprogram it to confirm it's still on 1. Thanks.

My Max5 did that only when I stepped up from the 7400 to the 10500ís. I still think the motor drawing from more capable batteries is the issue. Iíve had the 2085X from the inception of mine so Iíd doubt thatís it.

Saga continues. Took it out Friday because when I hooked my batteries up everything was fine. Worked flawlessly for 20 minutes or so then all the sudden started cogging, wouldn't move. Checked everything, plugged my motor wires back in then nothing. Won't even allow me to get into calibration. So I guess I'm down to reciever and ESC. Better not be the ESC or I'm going to blow a gasket. I did put my stock motor in and same result so that's off the list. That's as far as I've gotten.

Update- finally had time to trouble shoot the Xmaxx today. Bad news, max 5 and stock reciever are toast. Swapped in another ESC and it kind of worked. Rebound the reciever to the transmitter and things were functioning but at about quarter speed. I couldn't get the light to stop rapidly flashing red on the reciever and wasn't able to calibrate the ESC. Swapped out the reciever with my spare futaba and was able to calibrate the ESC and everything was good. So has anybody else had this issue with a pretty new hobbywing ESC biting the dust? Or an ESC and reciever failing together? I've had plenty of traxxas receivers die. I'm quite annoyed that the max 5 croaked. Not looking forward to dealing with the warranty process on that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Havenít had that issue. Seems like just crummy luck. Iíd say the Max 5 failure caused the receiver failure. Curious how the failure occurred.

I contacted hobbywing, they were actually kind of standoffish. Every Email exchange they made sure to reiterate that it was likely something I did that would not be covered under warranty. They told me I could get a new one for 95$ without sending it in, or I could send it in and they could test it. This is where it gets weird. If I was to send it in and they found it to be faulty from a manufacturer defect they would replace it for free. However if they determined it was my fault they would replace it for 130$. Kind of a gamble. I don't think I did anything so I agreed to send it in. I hooked it back up to confirm all my settings were still correct, low voltage, temp cutoff etc, and the thing was working. So here I am now having to send in a functional ESC guessing they'll likely test it for 30 seconds and it will pass. Then theyll send it back and it will work for 10 minutes and crap out. So I decided to throw it back in and see what it does tomorrow. If it does this again I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Pretty frustrated right now.

Exactly what I thought was going to happen. I spent 18$ for send the max5 to Los Angeles for warranty testing. They said it tested fine and they would either send it back to me or I could get a brand new one for $95. From the email it said it passed the 3s-6s test. I questioned why they wouldn't test a 200amp, 8s capable ESC at 8s? Waiting on a response. Not going to lie I'm pretty aggravated right now. I was so tempted to tell them to just throw it in the trash. Anybody know of a reliable 200 to 300amp ESC waterproof?