Thread: Screw Set

RC Racer

Screw Set

Is there anywhere I can get a complete screw set for my Rustler XL-5? I want to get rid of these irritating Phillips screws. When I say complete, I mean motor mount, chassis assembly, and everything. Preferably hex hardware.

RC Racer
    Hmm where are there Phillips on it they should all be hex from stock as far as I know

Here is a stainless steel kit link
    https://www.amazon.com/RC-Screwz-Tra.../dp/B00VR4Z40O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I ordered a set of vxl take off screws from eBay and it was pretty complete. I haven’t found anything it was missing yet.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

Hexes can be just as frustrating as Phillips if you are not driving them with the right tools. If you are going to order new hex hardware, recommend ordering a set off good hex drivers as well.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Hmm where are there Phillips on it they should all be hex from stock as far as I know

Here is a stainless steel kit link
    https://www.amazon.com/RC-Screwz-Tra.../dp/B00VR4Z40O

The XL-5 version of the truck has all Phillips hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Hexes can be just as frustrating as Phillips if you are not driving them with the right tools. If you are going to order new hex hardware, recommend ordering a set off good hex drivers as well.
    Do you mean to say that the included Hex wrenches are low quality? They have worked just fine for me with the 3640 suspension screw set, except for where the screw is not the right length. I have a set of bits that goes with a screwdriver that seemed to be decent quality. The Phillips bits has minimized my stripped screws so far. Is there a specific brand you would recommend that is not overly expensive?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    I ordered a set of vxl take off screws from eBay and it was pretty complete. I haven’t found anything it was missing yet.
    Can you give me a link?

Sorry about the double post. I don't know how to edit quotes in.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    Can you give me a link?

Sorry about the double post. I don't know how to edit quotes in.
    Just search “traxxas rustler vxl screws” on eBay and you will find many sellers

The XL-5 version of the truck has all Phillips hardware.

Do you mean to say that the included Hex wrenches are low quality? They have worked just fine for me with the 3640 suspension screw set, except for where the screw is not the right length. I have a set of bits that goes with a screwdriver that seemed to be decent quality. The Phillips bits has minimized my stripped screws so far. Is there a specific brand you would recommend that is not overly expensive?
    The included hex wrenches are junk.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Just search “traxxas rustler vxl screws” on eBay and you will find many sellers
    I've never used fleabay before and I an a little unsure about it. Is it okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The included hex wrenches are junk.
    Okay. I will start using my current bit set in all the locations the screwdriver can reach. Do you think I need a set of specific hex drivers like Traxxas sells?

RC Racer
    I've never used fleabay before and I an a little unsure about it. Is it okay?

Okay. I will start using my current bit set in all the locations the screwdriver can reach. Do you think I need a set of specific hex drivers like Traxxas sells?
    Anyone have anything?

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have anything?
    I built my Rustler from parts, and I bought a set from ebay similar to what this seller has. Mine was missing one or two screws (I think) and came with tools. I had no issue with the tools it came with, but I don't think this listing comes with tools. I've generally had good luck with ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-RUS...YAAOSwG1Vb2ahR
    Life, Liberty, and the persuit of RC domination!! Saving the world, one twinky at a time.

RC Racer
    Thank you! Can you remember what screws it was missing? That looks like a very small number of screws in the photograph.

RC Qualifier
    I think it was missing the receiver mounting screws. I wouldn't worry if you had to leave one or two as phillips head screws. I only got a hex set for looks to be honest.
    Life, Liberty, and the persuit of RC domination!! Saving the world, one twinky at a time.

RC Racer
    I got smart and decided I was going to use Google to help find forum results, and learned from many people that stainless screws are notoriously weak. I was given several recommendations and will probably no be ordering from www.hexcrews.com, once their site works again, for their corrosion resistance. Thank you all, and may I have a hex driver recommendation?

RC Racer
    These are the cheapest best hex drivers i have found
    https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-.../dp/B00CP2GGBI